This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Sensitive I May Quit My Job.

mamatrois

mamatrois Rookie

Hello fellow sensitive people...

I might quit my job (on-call sub at a preschool) because it is a sea of gluten-y goodness, (badness?!) and I can't seem to avoid getting trace amounts in my system.  Imagine my distress when they had the sensory table full of white flour!  I just about ran out of the building.  Sigh.

Two days ago I was 'hit' again, and left with uncomfortable symptoms that have me re-examining my career choice.  If anyone knows of any jobs in bubbles, (or gluten free bakeries), let me know!   :blink:  

(But seriously, wouldn't a gluten-free preschool be amazing?!)

~Rachel~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Hiya

That sound really difficult Rachel.

Welcome to the board by the way :)

I wonder if you could talk to them a bit about why the flour is a problem? And similar situations. Do you have a diagnosis? You could have some cover in law if so for accomodations. There are so often other things that could be used, maybe corn flour or coconut flour? They would surely do it if it was a kid suffering? It seems worth finding out. We see it a lot around here that people just don't understand cross contamination, and that they don't have to force feeding you pizza to make you sick. Even without a diagnosis I would try and talk to someone senior. My son has a nut free school, and they are really good about the celiac kid and using substitutes to keep him safe.

You sound like just the kind of person pre-school needs around.

I hope you get some more good advice. I think there may be a way to go before you ned to quit.

Good luck

mamatrois Rookie

Thanks! :)  

I don't have a diagnosis...still working on it.  

I would have no problem if I worked at the preschool full-time asking for a gluten-free environment for myself but it's just on-call... I think the flour is a problem for me because I was worried I'd lick the toys in the table?  lol.  Not really.  I just seem to be susceptible to trace amounts getting in my system.  We also do snack for each class, they bring their own food, and we  help them open packages etc, and we are at the table, eating our snack with them.  I think this is where my issue was this week, and I likely touched someone's snack etc and then didn't wash my hands.   :(   We also have a playdough table that is open during free-play time.  I try not to eat the playdough though.  ;)

I know I have rights about my work environment, but I think this week I was looking at the big picture, that maybe unless the situation is gluten-free for me, it's not the right place to be.  It's all good though!  Preschool is out in 1.5 weeks and I can exist in gluten-free wonderland at home and explore gluten-free career choices for myself.  Like astronaut.  ;)

I just needed to vent to people who do understand cross-contamination and how it can be really, really lame.  Basically I was just feeling sorry for myself this morning.  lol.  Recovering from a touch of the gluten can make me cranky at the universe.   :D

~Rachel~

You came to the right place, we all like a good vent every now and again doodle_faces.gif

Hope we can help, vent, ask questions, come over and chat in the dinner thread :)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Super Sensitive:

I can relate to not being able to tolerate gluten in the room.  In Minneapolis they have a preschool with natural foods, so I don't see why there couldn't be one  gluten free.  For all I know there is.  Don't get your nose too close to the crayons!  I would be looking for a different job.

Note that crayons do not contain gluten.  However Crayola says the may have harmful vapors when heated.  Open Original Shared Link

D

What is wrong with crayons? I am interested to know :)

Gemini Experienced

What is wrong with crayons? I am interested to know :)

There is nothing wrong with crayons.  Open Original Shared Link  Look at that...they even use corn starch for the glue in the paper label!  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

For whatever reason, some kids seem to love eating crayons. Binney & Smith, the makers of Crayola products, have taken precautions to help keep crayons safe for little munchers. The company makes crayons from two main ingredients: pigment and paraffin wax. Neither ingredient is considered toxic. The problem is that Crayola crayons come with labels on them, which are made from paper and held on with glue. Paper is usually relatively harmless if ingested. Binney & Smith has to use a nontoxic cornstarch and water mixture for its glue, just to make sure that children don't get poisoned. As long as they aren't eating tons of Crayola crayons, your kids will be safe if they have a small, unsupervised wax snack.

I had trouble linking the site up above correctly so this is what it stated, in case you have the same problem.  The source was the Science Channel.

Brandiwine Contributor

I couldn't get your link to come up I found this...

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

Super Sensitive:

I can relate to not being able to tolerate gluten in the room.  In Minneapolis they have a preschool with natural foods, so I don't see why there couldn't be one  gluten free.  For all I know there is.  Don't get your nose too close to the crayons!  I would be looking for a different job.

D

Please provide your information that crayons near a Celiac's nose is dangerous.  Crayola says their crayons do not contain wheat but, they are not tested for gluten.  I doubt there is gluten in any crayons.

GFinDC Veteran

Side tracking a bit

@Dianer,

Hi Diana, you can always make your own crayon's if you are worried about them.  Just melt some wax and add a colorant of some sort.  Even instant coffee would work.  Use a hard wax if you like hard crayons. Softer wax like beeswax if you like them soft.  Wax is a really good insulator/sealer.  It locks things in and prevents them from escaping and oxygen from entering.  That's why it makes a good art material, it tends to improve color stability.  I don't think you'd get any gluten in your snooter even if you could find a crayon with gluten and sniff it.  Maybe if you melt them it would be possible though.  A gluteny candle might be a bad idear for example.  I know I don't want one for Christmas! :)

How them there candles are made:

Safety Guidance Pertaining to Crayola Product Usage:

Allergies—Products that are currently manufactured by Crayola (not including products manufactured under license) do not include any of the following ingredients that are associated with common allergies: peanuts, shellfish, fish, tree nuts, eggs, or milk. Gluten (wheat flour) is an ingredient in Crayola® Dough. Other Crayola modeling materials, including Model Magic® modeling material, Model Magic Fusion™, Modeling Clay, and Air-Dry Clay are gluten-free. These products are produced on the same machinery. Although the machines are cleaned prior to the start of each production run, there is a slight possibility that trace amounts of gluten from Crayola Dough may be present in the other modeling materials. For information regarding specific ingredients or allergic concerns, please call our Consumer Affairs department at 1-800-272-9652 weekdays between 9 AM and 4 PM EST.

Super Sensitive:

D

I react to crayons.  I don't know what kind of reaction it is and didn't mean it had to be gluten. I see they do not purposely contain gluten, but may give off vapors when heated.  Sometimes, I can't tell what sort of reaction I am having, I just know not to repeat them.  I am thinking other super-sensitives may share some of these concerns or other intolerances.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Mamatrois, how long have you been on the gluten free diet?  It takes awhile to get things figured out.  Sometimes during this learning process, my son and I blamed the environment when it was actually something that we ate.  It also seemed that environmental gluten wasn't be as much of a problem once we git rid of all the gluten in our diet.  This issue is likely to be less serious as time goes on.  

You could give it some more time before making a big move like trying to live without any money. LOL

Celiac Mindwarp has a great idea about using another type of flour.  That would be a good thing to ask about.  With gluten intolerance on the rise the school might be wise to use a substitute like sorghum that is less likely to be a problem across their district.  You may not lick the flour table, but little kids might.

There is a published medical study about inhaled gluten being a problem for celiacs: Open Original Shared Link

It is discussed more here: Open Original Shared Link

I am pretty sure that I have been glutened by going through the bakery section in the grocery store.  Just the other day I was in a hurry and went through it rather than going around the way like I usually do.  The next day I woke up with symptoms.  I couldn't figure out why at first until I remembered how I had done that.  Being that sensitive can require a few more precautions than are necessary for the average celiac.

Welcome to the board.  I hope you find what you need here.

Gemini Experienced

I react to crayons.  I don't know what kind of reaction it is and didn't mean it had to be gluten. I see they do not purposely contain gluten, but may give off vapors when heated.  Sometimes, I can't tell what sort of reaction I am having, I just know not to repeat them.  I am thinking other super-sensitives may share some of these concerns or other intolerances.

So...you have ingested crayons?  Or do you have an allergy to them?  I know some people have allergic reactions to some dyes so maybe that is the problem?

Gemini Experienced

Hello fellow sensitive people...

I might quit my job (on-call sub at a preschool) because it is a sea of gluten-y goodness, (badness?!) and I can't seem to avoid getting trace amounts in my system.  Imagine my distress when they had the sensory table full of white flour!  I just about ran out of the building.  Sigh.

Two days ago I was 'hit' again, and left with uncomfortable symptoms that have me re-examining my career choice.  If anyone knows of any jobs in bubbles, (or gluten free bakeries), let me know!   :blink:  

(But seriously, wouldn't a gluten-free preschool be amazing?!)

~Rachel~

Open bags of wheat flour are a problem for anyone with Celiac disease, no matter what your sensitivity level is.  We all react with our immune systems.  What the heck is a sensory table anyway?  :blink:   Just your luck it involved wheat flour!

mamatrois Rookie

dilettantesteph - I have been on the gluten-free diet for approximately one million years....oh wait, it just feels like that.  ;)

1.5 years ago elimination diet (inc. wheat, dairy, sugar, soy, corn, coffee, etc etc etc), started reacting to lots right away, by Nov 2012 gluten prohibited but not restricted, January 2013 gluten-free for life!  It took a lot of food journaling, illness and extreme weight loss to get to where I am, which I hope is healing up nicely?  

Thanks for the links!  I will try those before I become a vagrant hobo, dumpster diving for gluten-free snacks behind the local health food store.  ;)  

Gemini!  The sensory table is one of the things available for the kids during freeplay period, and can include things we are used to seeing (Sand, Water, Rice) and some new, interesting things for the kidlets, like WHEAT FLOUR (aka my personal hell). lol.

Happy Saturday Everyone!   :D

So...you have ingested crayons?  Or do you have an allergy to them?  I know some people have allergic reactions to some dyes so maybe that is the problem?

No, all I have to do is stick my nose over the box and I feel the glands in my neck swell up.  I haven't checked to see if I bloat.  I do have problems with corn, but I smell a chemical smell when I get near them. 

I also have problems with open bags of flour.  My family decided to use up some grain left in our Kitchen..  NOT GOOD

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I know that one million years feeling.  We all have bad days.  Hope yours are looking up now.

Gemini Experienced

dilettantesteph - I have been on the gluten-free diet for approximately one million years....oh wait, it just feels like that.   ;)

1.5 years ago elimination diet (inc. wheat, dairy, sugar, soy, corn, coffee, etc etc etc), started reacting to lots right away, by Nov 2012 gluten prohibited but not restricted, January 2013 gluten-free for life!  It took a lot of food journaling, illness and extreme weight loss to get to where I am, which I hope is healing up nicely?  

Thanks for the links!  I will try those before I become a vagrant hobo, dumpster diving for gluten-free snacks behind the local health food store.   ;)

Gemini!  The sensory table is one of the things available for the kids during freeplay period, and can include things we are used to seeing (Sand, Water, Rice) and some new, interesting things for the kidlets, like WHEAT FLOUR (aka my personal hell). lol.

Happy Saturday Everyone!   :D

Whatever happened to the days when kids played with TOYS?  Everything is too food based and with all the allergies and intolerances today, they shouldn't be doing a food table.  :huh:

BelleVie Enthusiast

Hi Rachel, I feel your pain! I'm a kindergarten teacher and am also in a "sea of gluteny badness." I'm not sure if I'm super sensitive or not, as I'm still wading through all of my other intolerances to try and figure out what's what, but I do think that working in this field as a person with gluten issues is not the best idea, unfortunately. I'm also in Asia, so there's soy sauce all over EVERYTHING in our kitchen. I have to keep one special spoon just for me on my desk! 

Would you consider working full time with your own classroom? Then you could have relatively more control over what you allow in. And during snack/lunch time you could just be extra vigilant about crumbs and such? 

I hope you figure things out and get well! 

mamatrois Rookie

Hi Rachel, I feel your pain! I'm a kindergarten teacher and am also in a "sea of gluteny badness." I'm not sure if I'm super sensitive or not, as I'm still wading through all of my other intolerances to try and figure out what's what, but I do think that working in this field as a person with gluten issues is not the best idea, unfortunately. I'm also in Asia, so there's soy sauce all over EVERYTHING in our kitchen. I have to keep one special spoon just for me on my desk! 

Would you consider working full time with your own classroom? Then you could have relatively more control over what you allow in. And during snack/lunch time you could just be extra vigilant about crumbs and such? 

I hope you figure things out and get well! 

Hi BelleVie,

I will consider running my own program in the future, but for now my youngest daughter is only two years old, so I'm content with part-time work.  It does make it challenging though!  And you're not alone...I too travel with my own spoon.  :)

I can only imagine the challenge of being in Asia and the soy-sauce-situation!  I hope you figure your situation out too.  :)

BelleVie Enthusiast

Hi BelleVie,

I will consider running my own program in the future, but for now my youngest daughter is only two years old, so I'm content with part-time work.  It does make it challenging though!  And you're not alone...I too travel with my own spoon.   :)

I can only imagine the challenge of being in Asia and the soy-sauce-situation!  I hope you figure your situation out too.   :)

LOL, we should start a thread... "You know you're a celiac/gluten intolerant person when...."

-you keep a spoon in your purse, just in case. :) 

Archived