Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JaneWhoLovesRain

Anyone Have A Problem With Xanthan Gum?

I have been feeling terrible all week, loose stools, abdominal cramping, yukky stuff.  I have looked and relooked at everything I have been eating and I can't find anything that could have gluten.  Everything is lableled gluten free or assumed to be gluen free (bananas, apples, corn, spinach, etc.)

The only culprit I can think that may possibly be making me feel like this are the new cookies I bought, Glutino's fake vanilla oreos.  They are very yummy but do contain xanthan gum.  In the past I thought I may have had a problem with xantham so I limited it as much as I could.  Maybe I would have it once in a week with the chicken marinade.  But I have been eating 2-4 of these cookies a day all week.

Because xanthan gum is used in so many baked gluten-free products and I never hear of it being a problem I wonder if it is or isn't.  I read on one web site it can be used as a laxative, but another one said it is safe with no side effects.  (by the way if it makes a difference I have a definite problem with sorbitol)

So I'm looking for your "experiences" with xanthan.  Anyone find they cannot tolerate it?

I avoid it because I'm intolerant to corn and xanthan gum is usually grown on corn. I don't know if I would react to it if it were in something that had none of my other "poisons" in it or not. Wish I could be of more help.