This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Was Told Wrong

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

Blue cheese is safe for Celiacs. Not sure who made your salad? If it was purchase somewhered, that may be your problem. It is possible Blue cheese dressing might have flour in , I guess.

Well I did use Blue cheese dressing.... hmmmm see it takes some gettin used to to be Gluten Free all the way!! I went to red robin ... it was their avo cobbo salad ... Let me look it up a sec I have something to show you ...

Ohhh GlutenStinks15 I hope your niece is ok !! She was diagnosed so I think your prob helping her :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

Ohhh GlutenStinks15 I hope your niece is ok !! She was diagnosed so I think your prob helping her :)

Thanks! I'm def doing all I can to help. She's 13 and not enjoying the dietary changes. Having me there to go through it with her is helping I think. They're in the process of getting my younger niece tested now.

kareng Grand Master

Well I did use Blue cheese dressing.... hmmmm see it takes some gettin used to to be Gluten Free all the way!! I went to red robin ... it was their avo cobbo salad ... Let me look it up a sec I have something to show you ...

Red Robin is very good with gluten-free. If they said the dressing was gluten-free, it likely was.

w8in4dave Community Regular

I did not ask them if it was "Gluten Free" I am new to this and just read that after I came back home downloaded a free ebook for Fast food for celiacs or some something and I read this in the book : 

Red Robin Gluten Free Menu

Appetizers

Garden Fresh Humus Plate with no garlic bread

Salads

• Simply Grilled Chicken Salad with no croutons and garlic bread
  • Crispy Chicken Tender Salad with no crispy chicken (grilled chicken must be substituted) and no garlic bread
  • House Salad with no croutons
  • Avo-Cobb-O with no bleu cheese crumbles and no croutons
  • Side Caesar Salad with no croutons or garlic bread

Well I got iAvo cobbo salad with out the bread and I did get some dressing!! But above it does say it is gluten-free if w/o blue cheese and bread... SO I got it with Blu cheese w/o knowing blu cheese had Gluten!! See it is all a learning thing. I have also read that blu cheese has conflicting stories weather it is gluten-free or not! All since I had gotten back from Red Robin. it is all a learning thing!! All I know is after I ate I almost didn't make it to the restroom!! 

It won't be long and I wil have this all memorized by heart! Wht restaurant I can eat at what one I cannot and what I can eat at what restaurant!! 

kareng Grand Master

I did not ask them if it was "Gluten Free" I am new to this and just read that after I came back home downloaded a free ebook for Fast food for celiacs or some something and I read this in the book : 

Red Robin Gluten Free Menu

Appetizers

Garden Fresh Humus Plate with no garlic bread

Salads

• Simply Grilled Chicken Salad with no croutons and garlic bread
  • Crispy Chicken Tender Salad with no crispy chicken (grilled chicken must be substituted) and no garlic bread
  • House Salad with no croutons
  • Avo-Cobb-O with no bleu cheese crumbles and no croutons
  • Side Caesar Salad with no croutons or garlic bread

Well I got iAvo cobbo salad with out the bread and I did get some dressing!! But above it does say it is gluten-free if w/o blue cheese and bread... SO I got it with Blu cheese w/o knowing blu cheese had Gluten!! See it is all a learning thing. I have also read that blu cheese has conflicting stories weather it is gluten-free or not! All since I had gotten back from Red Robin. it is all a learning thing!! All I know is after I ate I almost didn't make it to the restroom!! 

It won't be long and I wil have this all memorized by heart! Wht restaurant I can eat at what one I cannot and what I can eat at what restaurant!! 

If you don't tell a restaurant that you need food from the gluten-free menu, they won't know.  they may have different chicken for the gluten-free salad or handle it differently.

Actually. the notion that blue cheese has gluten is not valid.  I find restaurants go by that old info.  It has been many many years since common blue cheese was made with a culture grown on wheat.  Even then, the mold that is added to the cheese, was added to the cheese.  The mold eats all the wheat up.  That is a very expensive and cumbersome way to make cheap cheese.  I eat blue cheese often without issue.

I thought you were still eating some gluten everyday until your tests were finished?  If that is the case, it is likely the gluten from that food that is bothering you. 

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/66524-blue-cheese-safe/page-1#entry594603

Gemini Experienced

So should I go back on Gluten before I see this gastroenterologist???? I have already been diagnosed! I actually don't think I was totally off of gluten anyway! There are some hidden things I didn't know about!! I had a salad the other day and it sent me right to the restroom!! Here I foind out the Blue Cheese is glutenized!! I think I remember reading that , but totally forgot!! Really!! How long does it take to be Totally Gluten Free anyway!! ???

If you buy bleu cheese that is made in the US, it should not be a problem but if it comes from Europe, then many still use the old fashioned way of making bleu cheese and it is started on bread.  I found this out at a french restaurant I went to and they use french bleu cheese, which was not gluten free.  But many of them the ones here are!

IrishHeart Veteran

Karen's right. (she likes when I say that :D )

No worries about the blue cheese. I  eat blue cheese all the time. :) I don't live in Europe (but I wish I did LOL)

We're giving it to you straight....It is not likely the blue cheese, honest.

Hon, here's the thing....with a new diagnosis of celiac, your gut is ravaged right now. Before you start healing, you could also have a dairy intolerance that is often temporary in most celiacs. Could be the dairy does not agree with you? Could be anything.

You may wish to read some info now that you have a firm diagnosis, so these things become less confusing to you.

Hang in there! We all had to learn the ropes too.

I thought we could not lick envelopes at the beginning    :huh: (read that somewhere) just  a myth.

Now, I lick them like mad--and offer to lick other people's too if they need help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived