Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebekka's mom

Starting Kindergarten

Hi, my celiac girl is starting Kindergarten in September.

Please, what are your experiences and what can I prepare for?

She will be halfday so no lunch until 1st grade,but they will be having snack in the classroom..

Is it OK to tell the other parents to let me know if they bring in treats for bday or so. 

It has taken us a LONG time to get her gluten free and do NOT want her sick.

Dorde

My little girl goes to preschool part day- they have a snack and a lunch that we pack.  The teachers always tell me when someone is bringing in cupcakes or something for birthdays, or if they are having a party they tell me what is on the menu.  I let them know what she can or can't have on the menu, then bring in an equivalent cupcake or cookie for her that is gluten free on the days they will have something like that.  The teachers and director of the preschool are fantastic and always check with me before they give her anything.  

I also have a little cheat sheet that I take to the teachers on what celiac is, what it does to her, and some common forms of gluten and hidden gluten.  Maybe the teacher can send out a letter to the other parents explaining Celiac and to let the teachers know ahead of time before bringing food for the whole class? 

She has done Preschool and Pre-K. and i sent her lunch and I had a stash of frozen gluten-free cake there for her for bdays, or they would call me.

They were very good about cleaning tables and hands before and after eating, especially after I asked them too. thank you

Is it a public school?  If so I would request a 504. This is a LEGAL document outlining what they need to do to keep her safe. You must write to the school to request a 504 meeting and I always include a document form our GI (and allergist in our case) stating the diagnosis and what ingestion does to him and why he needs to be on a strict gluten-free diet.

Our accommodations include:

No birthday food (this is school policy)

Unlimited bathroom access

Vetting all art supplies

No play-doh 

Children washing before entering the classroom

DS washing before all meals/snacks

(there are some others I'm forgetting but you get the picture ;) )

Is it a public school?  If so I would request a 504. This is a LEGAL document outlining what they need to do to keep her safe. You must write to the school to request a 504 meeting and I always include a document form our GI (and allergist in our case) stating the diagnosis and what ingestion does to him and why he needs to be on a strict gluten-free diet.

Our accommodations include:

No birthday food (this is school policy)

Unlimited bathroom access

Vetting all art supplies

No play-doh 

Children washing before entering the classroom

DS washing before all meals/snacks

(there are some others I'm forgetting but you get the picture ;) )

Totally stealing this idea......