Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wmramsel

Why Do I Have To Educate My Doctors?!

AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!  *Sigh*  I had to get that out.  Still waiting on the immunofluorescence studies of the suspected DH- I explain to the derm's office that if it comes back positive we don't have to do the scope.....

She says, "Well don't you think they need to go ahead and do the scope to see what is going on?"

NO.  No, I don't.  The scope is diagnostic, it doesn't alter treatment!  I proceed to explain that we aren't trying to "find out what is gong on" if we already know what is going on by the positive DH.  That we aren't trying to determine treatment with the scope- there is NO treatment, just a gluten-free diet.  I am not going to put my daughter through a scope if I.don't.have.to.  And who are you to question my judgement for my daughter on something you have proven to me before you don't know anything about????  If the DH comes back positive, we know what Celiac disease does- we don't need to scope her intestines to "see what is going on."  We already KNOW what is going on.  The blood work for the CBC and Anemia is going to tell us "what is going on."

**breathe**

Off to google immunofluorescence studies.....

It's hard. BTDT.  I was the one who had to push for an Endo to truly examine thyroid issues after 2 years of elevated tTG's after going gluten-free.  Once on thyroid meds, his next tTG's were (finally) normal. 

3 GI's wouldn't listen to me about the "little bit off" TSH levels being more than a "little" off since changes have been made to that scale and they little was WAY off. 

It sticks. I try and remind myself that a good Dr. isn't one who knows everything but one who is willing to LISTEN to you as a parent and consumer to help determine the best options.

Hang in there. It's a bumpy road for sure but hopefully you'll have your answers very shortly!

I feel your frustration....bearing in mind I am stiil mind-fogged after a cc issue.....I would like to suggest that you donate your "spare" endo to the person at the derm's office, so that she can "see what's going on"!

It's hard. BTDT.  I was the one who had to push for an Endo to truly examine thyroid issues after 2 years of elevated tTG's after going gluten-free.  Once on thyroid meds, his next tTG's were (finally) normal. 

3 GI's wouldn't listen to me about the "little bit off" TSH levels being more than a "little" off since changes have been made to that scale and they little was WAY off. 

It sticks. I try and remind myself that a good Dr. isn't one who knows everything but one who is willing to LISTEN to you as a parent and consumer to help determine the best options.

Hang in there. It's a bumpy road for sure but hopefully you'll have your answers very shortly!

BTDT?

I am trying to remember that they have been good about listening to me and then trying to find out the best way to do things.  The comments people make get under my skin right now.  I KNOW that I'm being sensitive to it, which is why I come over here and post it where people will understand what we are trying to do, and why the comments agitate me.  I just LOVE (note the sarcasm) how people think they can second guess/question what I feel is the best course of action for my daughter.  Grrrrrr.....

Hehe, Greebo, I'll suggest that to her next time.....