Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mymalachy

6 Weeks On A Gluten Free Diet And Other Foods Hurt Just As Bad

Hi...I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with celiac. For years I couldn't eat eggs because an hour after eating them I would get severe pain in my lower stomach area for about a 2 hours. Then 2 months ago it seemed like everything was hurting me. I cut out gluten and felt 100%. Then I found I couldn't eat potatoes...I always ate potatoes....then the nuts ( almonds, and peanuts so far) I always ate nuts. Now its tomatoes too...I can't have rice or corn...it seems all I am eating is carrots, lean meats and fruit!! I had ice cream a few times and had D 20 minutes later. I am so tired of getting pain so bad I can't even move...Is this common? What would cause this? Are my intestines that damaged? And why did it all come on so suddenly? Can anyone give me some insight into this?..lol..its driving me crazy :(

I'm not exactly sure why it happens either but it happened to me. Some say it is because the celiac was masking all of the other intolerances. Some say it is because we are still healing and our systems are "fragile". I know that at first it seemed like everything bothered me. A nutritionist I saw told me to switch to all organic for a while and that helped. Eventually I started getting foods back that I had lost. I even got corn starch (but only starch) back for a while. After an accidental glutening I lost it again. Haven't tried adding it back yet, but I'd bet it would be OK. Can't do any other form of corn though. But I got potatoes back. And probably salads too, but I live alone and I can't eat a whole head of lettuce by myself so I don't buy it. (Bagged salads and any other ready to eat veggies are pre-washed in a citric acid wash, and that citric acid is derived from corn.)

Anyway, try organic, give yourself some time, and you'll probably get most if not all of these foods back. I think God gives us all that short grace period where we feel better than we have in years before he lets these other intolerances hit. That way we know what it feels like to feel good again. It gives us something to shoot for. :lol:

I'm not exactly sure why it happens either but it happened to me. Some say it is because the celiac was masking all of the other intolerances. Some say it is because we are still healing and our systems are "fragile". I know that at first it seemed like everything bothered me. A nutritionist I saw told me to switch to all organic for a while and that helped. Eventually I started getting foods back that I had lost. I even got corn starch (but only starch) back for a while. After an accidental glutening I lost it again. Haven't tried adding it back yet, but I'd bet it would be OK. Can't do any other form of corn though. But I got potatoes back. And probably salads too, but I live alone and I can't eat a whole head of lettuce by myself so I don't buy it. (Bagged salads and any other ready to eat veggies are pre-washed in a citric acid wash, and that citric acid is derived from corn.)

Anyway, try organic, give yourself some time, and you'll probably get most if not all of these foods back. I think God gives us all that short grace period where we feel better than we have in years before he lets these other intolerances hit. That way we know what it feels like to feel good again. It gives us something to shoot for. :lol:

Thanks! I was starting to think I was going crazy! I will try that...and I guess if its hurts, don't eat it right?..lol