Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lovechild

Cleaning Out The Pantry - What Containers Can Be Re-Used?

I found out that I am gluten-intolerant and for the past two months have been following a gluten-free diet. My pantry was in a big need of a cleaning and today my Mom and I filled 6 garbage bags full of gluten containing items that had expired and old flours that I would never use again.

I now have a bunch of canning jars and other larger glass canisters that I have washed out with dish soap and a brush and then put through the dishwasher. Some of these containers had wheat flours in them and other gluten containing items. Can these containers be used again now that they have been washed or should I be replacing them with brand new containers? They are still good canisters but if I cannot use them, then I will sell them and buy new ones. They are many, many of them.

Thanks again.

Glass cleans very well. You should be fine. It's hard to find nice glass one these days.

It is hard to find nice glass.  Consumer Reports recommends buying old Pyrex and Corningware from second-hand stores.  Newer products have been "exploding" when pulled from the oven and set on top of a stove (decrease in quality -- cheaper materials).  Happened to my neighbor!  Her dinner was ruined and thankfully no one was hurt.  

They also recommend buying old sewing machines.  Makes me feel good to know that "older" is better!

Thanks so much everyone! It's great to know that I don't need to get rid of all of my glass canisters.

I just did them same thing, my husband just informed me he would go gluten free, so as not to take a chance on me being cc'd.  I appreciate that.  I emptied out everything, like you I kept any good glass containers.  I washed them very well by hand, then put them in the dishwasher.   Great advise on this site,  It has helped me an awfull lot.    Happy 4th.