This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Under Eye Circles

ham&ex

ham&ex Rookie

As a child I developed "allergic shiners" do to my un-diagnosed, un-treated celiac disease. When I went on the gluten-free diet a couple years back they improved, but did not completely go away. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience, or if they have compeltey gone away for anyone. This is partly an issue of vanity, but I'm also wondering if I may be reacting to somwthing else too (although not as severely as gluten.)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

I have that to, and in the past few months of gluten-free diet I didn't really notice it getting all that better (at least in my opinion!). Until I had a bad gluten accident and then it was so much worse that quite a few people asked me what was wrong with me. I just had these huge black circles! It is starting to get better now, but I can't tell you if it will ever go completely away. Sorry. Maybe someone else who has been on the diet longer can give you some better encouragement. I just wanted you to know you weren't alone.

God bless,

Mariann B)

hillary-h Rookie

My daughter who is 5 years old use to have the dark circles under her eyes after being gluten-free for two months they have gone away.

andyc Newbie

I have black circles too. They were much worse prior to going gluten-free. I still have them though. I decided to see if they were due to someother allergy and I was tested - everything came back negative. I am still waiting and hoping that they will get lighter. But at least I don't look like I got punched.

plantime Contributor

My sister calls mine raccoon eyes. They get extremely dark any time I get into something I shouldn't, from gluten to pollen to mold. If I manage to stay away from triggers, they lighten up to almost normal. Makes me want to wear sunglasses all the time! B)

Guest gillian502

I've been gluten-free 7 months and still have my black/purple under eye circles. I never knew until reading this thread that it was probably caused by celiac disease. I also just found out that my antibodies are still positive, so IF they ever drop I'm hoping I'll lose the circles, too!

Lily Rookie

My shiners have gotten much better being gluten free.

Lily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nickra Rookie

wow - something for me to look forward to (as well as being well of course)

i'm still on gluten until i have my biopsy, I'm not looking forward to coping with the diet, but it will be nice to get rid of those black rings!

fingers crossed x :D

kyss Rookie

My daughter 7 years old has the dark circles under her eyes, she is being tested on Thursday, hopefully they will go away too...My mom who has been gluten-free for 2 months, her dark circles look alot better, but she hadn't noticed....I did though and she looks great after just 2 months!

Kelly

• 6 months later...
snipe12 Rookie

In my previous experience the dark circles under your eyes are either the fact you are not drinking enough water, not getting enough sleep or to do with your body being toxic. If they are always there then it is most likely that your body is toxic.

Our bodies were never meant to consume the foods we eat these days. Your liver has a certain amount of capacity to process toxins from junk/processed foods. Some peoples livers are better than others which is why some people get the circles and others do not.

Most people will see some improvement with the under eye circles when they start to follow a gluten free diet because you eliminate flour. Flour is a big one for congesting the body.

There are many ways to sort the under eye circles. The first is to drink a couple of litres of water per day to help flush out some toxins. The second is to make sure you are getting rid of waste (using the toilet) 2 times a day and third a much more extreme one is to try eating a diet of nothing but clean meats, veg, fruit, nuts etc without any processed foods.

I used to have a problem with dark circles under my eyes, looked like I was either an all night partier or something like that and people always commented how tired I looked.

The dark circles were cured by me using the toilet more often.

mommida Enthusiast

I had the dark circles too, and they have gone away on a gluten-free diet. If I react they come back.

If you still have the dark circles and positive antibodies, go back over your diet.

I was using vanilla that was not gluten free. Is there a chance you are getting cross contamination from your kitchen?

Laura

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) i have those dark circles under my eyes too and dessa---i have always called them raccoon eyes--i was just reading these posts and was telling my daughter--wow, these people all have the dark circles too and just told her--you know, my raccoon eyes and that's when i read dessa's post :D so happy i am not alone--3 yrs gluten-free and i still have them, but my other allergies have become more pronounced now too--deb
Canadian Karen Community Regular

Wow! I have them too! I can't believe how many of us have them.....

Mine also get puffy, and it drives me nuts!!!! Everyone keeps asking me "Why have you been crying?"

Have a great day!

Karen

llj012564 Newbie

I have them as well. I have noticed a slight change since going on the diet. I only eat fresh foods and do drink lots of water but maybe the sleep thing is my problem. I work fulltime and have 4 kids and a husband that doesnt seem to think that this is really an illness. Keeps asking me how long I have to be on this diet:( So for me maybe more sleep would help since the diet alone did help some. At least people dont ask me about it as much now so it must not be as noticable to them as it is to me.

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Advice for ladies with dark circles (men, if you're comfortable with this kind of makeup, you can go for it, too)

Physician's Formula makeup (which is gluten-free) makes an undereye concealer (which is yellow, but when light hits your skin after it's applied, dark circles are greatly minimized) that definitely helps. You can use it alone or under foundation--it makes for a very refreshed appearance!!!!

• 3 months later...
newby Newbie

Hey guys,

I know that this post is out of date from when this topic started, but if you still have the "shiner" problems, it's most like b/c you are allergic to Lactose and/or casein (which is a common side-effect celiac disease).

Actually, they are called shiners...

"The symptoms of milk protein allergy can manifest in the skin, the digestive system, or the respiratory system.

Skin reactions may include an itchy red rash, hives, eczema, allergic "shiners" (black eyes), and swelling of lips, mouth, tongue, face or throat.

Digestive system reactions might include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, bloating, or abdominal cramps.

Respiratory system reactions include runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, itchy eyes, nasal congestion, wheezing, shortness of breath, or coughing; or even anaphylactic shock.

Some children may have reddish ear lobes or a glazed look in their eyes. Other symptoms that may be attributed to milk allergy are bed wetting, lethargy, and inattentiveness."

It's worth checking into by getting blood allergy tests for it. Good luck :)

PS - Since I have found out of have celiac disease and dairy allergies, being on a new diet, my eyes are improving more everyday!

Maggie1956 Rookie

Yep, I have the dark circles too. It's good to know we're not alone here.

:rolleyes:

kvogt Rookie

You can be gluten-free and CF and still get them. Mine flair up when I get behind in my sleep or poison myself. If my immune system gets low my shiners are the first thing I notice.

Dustyman Newbie

I've been gluten free since right after Thanksgiving. Just the other day someone told me the circles under my eyes weren't so dark anymore. I hadn't even noticed!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Same with me here. A few nights ago I had a little chit-chat with my husband on the couch about me being sick. And he said: 'My dad noticed right away, that you're dark circles around the eyes were gone.' I haden't even noticed that either.

Hugs, Stef

griffithkat Newbie

I don't have circles, I have little bumps under my eyes. What's up with that?

Terri-Anne Apprentice

Newby,

Could you please tell me the source for your information? I'd like to print it and take it to doctor, but from original source if possible. Perhaps that will help convince him to test my son for allergies.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Lesliean Apprentice

Dark circles I have had since childhood are getting better. I am less congested too and don't blow my nose all the time. Amazing!

Archived