This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Colouring At Salon

Nicolette

Nicolette Rookie

Okay, booked an appointment at a hairdressers to have my hair coloured ages ago and the appointment is for a week on Saturday, but after reading a recent post about hair products, I'm wondering as to whether the hair dye will be safe. Do I phone them and ask? We haven't decided on a colour yet (she did mention using two colours, a darker one underneath and a light one on top). If I do this, then they'd probably have to check every colour and I'm not sure they'd check properly.

Do I just cancel the colour and just have a cut? That way I can buy a home colouring kit and check the product labels for myself so i'll feel really sure about it being safe.

Thanks in advance.

Nicolette

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

floridanative Community Regular

I color my hair at home with L'Oreal products. Manufacturer told me what I use is gluten-free. Also, they do make salon grade colors but I have no idea how many types or which ones may be safe. Someone on another thread posted that they use some type of L'Oreal color that is offered at their salon. Good luck! If I couldn't color my hair I'd have to get a wig.

Tiffany M.

aaascr Apprentice

I don't know what's in the actual coloring agent other than pigment

and ammonia, but you can have them use a "more clear"

peroxide that doesn't have all the "conditioners, buffers etc" in there.

To be on the safe side - you can bring your own conditioner and shampoo,

just in case...

I've been using a clariol gel colorant and didn't get any reaction. Normally,

if there's a teensy bit of gluten I break out for the next 3 weeks.

Merika Contributor

In the past (when I did salon coloring) I just let them use whatever for color, shampoo and conditioner. It all washes out and it's someone else's hands in the whole mess, and all.

As for products they use *afterwards* I either read the ingredients before they put it in, like gel, oil, (preferred) - or i just try to be careful about not sticking my hands in my hair for the rest of the day and wash it the next morning.

Merika

PS. Now that I do color at home (because of time and cheapness, not gfness) I do read the labels and only use gluten-free stuff - I figure I'm more exposed to it and it's getting all over my shower, etc.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Okay, booked an appointment at a hairdressers to have my hair coloured ages ago and the appointment is for a week on Saturday, but after reading a recent post about hair products, I'm wondering as to whether the hair dye will be safe. Do I phone them and ask? We haven't decided on a colour yet (she did mention using two colours, a darker one underneath and a light one on top). If I do this, then they'd probably have to check every colour and I'm not sure they'd check properly.

Do I just cancel the colour and just have a cut? That way I can buy a home colouring kit and check the product labels for myself so i'll feel really sure about it being safe.

Thanks in advance.

Nicolette

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be very careful about salon or home coloring. You might try to find a salon with a celiac running or working in it. My DD still colors her hair and has found salons here and at college that have celiac owners or stylists, she asks before making an appointment. I stopped coloring right after I was dianosed, I had so much hair loss anyway it was like coloring my scalp. I have not dyed my hair now in 3 years and am glad I haven't. My hair is growing back and what is growing back is dark brown, before diagnosis my hair was almost totally white. I am enjoying watching it slowly go from all white to white with brown, to now brown with a bit of white in streaks. If I lift the top hair on my head everything under it is brown and I have even found half and half hair, white on the bottom and suddenly brown up to the roots. Will I ever dare to color again? Perhaps but for now I am just enjoying the progression.

I should have noted that I also have DH and am extremely sensitive. I react even from the most minute amount. Many others may not have a problem with hair dyes.

Guest gfinnebraska

I home color and salon color, and have never had an issue. I currently go to the salon, and there really isn't an issue there since I am leaning back and there isn't a chance of getting any of the products ingested. I am not touching anything, etc.

My advice would be to go have fun!! :)

emily ann Newbie

Hi,

my name is Emily and this is my first post. I have been a celiac disease for 1year and a few months. I am a hairstylist in Dallas,TX and I do have some insight to gluten in hair products and hair colors. In my experiences I have found many products to contain some kind of gluten, I havent put together a list of the non-gluten ones but that will be something that I will look into. I do know that there are a few color lines that do use wheat protein. One that I can remember off the top of my head is a European line "Colorly". I use a line by Matrix named "Socolor" and "Sync" all of them are gluten-free. I hope that this helps. Just a note, I think that you should ask your colorist to check the ingredents for you, if he/she sounds like they dont want to go through the hasstle then you should find another colorist. Your colorist should want to keep you safe and healthy!! I know that I do! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Licensed hairdresser advice, do the skin patch test. Tell the stylist you are a very sensitive person and you are willing to come in and do the test. Ask for about a 15 minute appointment for color consultation and choose the color (s). The color is then mixed in a smaller quantity and applied to the skin behind the ear, and left on for the processing time. After 24 hours, if there is no reaction, your color choice is safe. It would also give the salon more time to research which products would be best for you and make your salon visit more enjoyable.

I have never heard of anyone charging for a consultation or patch test. It would also be a nice chance for you to check out the salon before your service. You will be there for however long the processing time will be. (off the scalp bleach for highlights would never be tested this way)

L

Archived