Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tigerlily6200

Birthday Candles And Icing

Does anyone know if the generic number candles have gluten in them?? My daughter turns 6 and I am worried about her candle.  Also I can't find any of the icing in a tube to write her name on the cake without wheat starch?  Any suggestions?

I wouldn't worry about candles. I have seen 1 type of gel tube or icing without wheat. I can't remember the brand. If no one comes up with it, I'll see if I have some when I get home. I'm having my gray removed from my hair. :)

You could make your own. I don't know how to make the gel type of frosting, but the regular is pretty easy to do. Make up a batch, take a gallon size bad, snip the end in the desired size, and have fun.

I had to make a birthday cake once and did it that way and it came out pretty well.

I agree, candles should be fine.

I'm trying to figure out which one I got.  I think it was a Betty Crocker icing in a tube, not a gel.

When my boys were that age, they loved M&Ms on the cake for decoration.  You could spell her name out with them.  I had parents ask me how the cake was decorated. Their kids were raving about it and wanted it for their birthday.

I thought M & M's were a candy to be vary of..

No. The company will label on the bag "may contain wheat" if they are a special batch made on a machine that might have run the pretzel m&Ms thru.  That is usually the "special" flavors:

Mars Chocolate makes M&M's, Dove, Snickers and other products. The company urges gluten-free consumers to check labels, even if a product normally is gluten-free; in busy times of year (such as Halloween), Mars uses alternative facilities to make its candy, and some of those may introduce cross-contamination risks. The company says it will label any gluten ingredients or cross-contamination.

Warning: At least some packages of two relatively new varieties of M&Ms — coconut and mint flavors — include the warning "May contain wheat" on their labels as of October 2012. Other varieties — including milk chocolate, dark chocolate, peanut and almond — don't contain that warning. In addition, I saw Mars several seasonal products, including M&Ms candy corn, that featured the "May contain wheat" warning. Always read the label before purchasing.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshopping/a/GFcandies.htm

Thanks guys!  I love the M&M idea... anyone know if the special colors of M&Ms are a concern.  I will need purple and pink...lol typical little girl

Not sure.  Maybe the candy store would let you see the bag?  Or email Mars?

Karen has a good idea. You can also easily and quickly make piping gel. Just google for tons of recipes.

I make my icing from scratch and I can pipe on flowers and edging that looks professional. But, in a pinch, I have used Jelly Bellies (gluten-free) on my daughter's cake along with some Cinderella figurines and she loved it. In fact, she requested this for three of her birthday's. Now, I just put fresh flowers on her cakes. To be honest, I'm lazy. I prefer to have a yummy homemade cake than a nicely decorated one that may not taste as good or be as fresh!