This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Children's Chewable Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)?

greenbeanie

greenbeanie Enthusiast

Does anyone know of a gluten-free brand of Children's diphenhydramine (antihistimine)? I'm looking for something either chewable or in pre-filled spoons that are individually wrapped. I know that there are no gluten ingredients in any Benadryl-brand products, but their single-dose liquid spoons seem to have been discontinued. I've found other brands of fastmelts and pre-filled spoons, but the manufacturers can't tell me whether the fillers contain gluten. I've already spent hours on the phone with customer service reps from several different manufacturers, and they either say it's impossible to tell or they promise to check and call me back but never do. The pharmacists I've asked seem to know less about it than I do.

My daughter is 4, and she has an epi-pen (which, thankfully, we've never needed to use) for a latex allergy. We need an antihistimine to keep in the emergency pouch, and the bottles of children's liquid spill and leak even if I put them in Ziploc bags. She's too young to understand how to swallow a pill. She routinely takes Children's Claritin chewables, but that has a different active ingredient and my understanding is that diphenhydramine works best/fastest in an emergency. A chewable product designed for ages 6+ would be fine; she's big for her age, and the allergist said that dose would be safe.

Does anyone have a child with celiac who has used some brand with no problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Benadryl childrens chewables are gluten free.  I use them and am very sensitive and have never had a problem with them.  Benadryl is the best antihistamine for an aniphylactic reaction....it's what most hospitals use.

greenbeanie Enthusiast

Gemini, where do you get them? Are you in the United States? According to Benadryl's website, they've been discontinued. I've been to a dozen different stores hoping to find some leftover packages, but no luck. I'm not sure how long ago they were discontinued, but all I can find are various store-brand generic versions with modified food starch as an ingredient (and the manufacturers can't tell me if the starch is from wheat).

StephanieL Enthusiast

Benadryl is the best antihistamine for an aniphylactic reaction....it's what most hospitals use.

Just a safety point here that Benadryl will not stop an anaphylactic reaction. Epi is the go to for an ana reaction. Please always follow your allergists Allergy Action plan!!!

Gemini Experienced

Benadryl will not stop an anaphylactic reaction?   :o   I always was under the impression that it would.  Ya learn something new everyday!  I don't suffer from that so I guess I didn't have that right.  Thanks for that information!

I just checked the Benadryl site and learned another piece of information I wasn't aware of.  They have been discontinued.  I took to using the liquid because I always use it at home.  I like that you have more control over dosage.  I used the fast melts but have not bought them in a couple of months.  I was buying them on-line but haven't checked recently.  I think Stephanie is right, though.....stick with the Epi-pen if you cannot get verification on gluten-free status.  My feeling is that they probably are gluten-free because most modified starch is derived from corn in the US but not knowing 100% is nerve wracking when they are for your child.  Sorry I wasn't of much help.

greenbeanie Enthusiast

Thanks for the try, anyway. We'd definitely use the Epi for any anaphylactic reaction; the Benadryl is just to keep in the emergency pack in case the Epi starts to wear off before we can get to a hospital. Maybe her allergist will know which of the store-brand fastmelts are gluten free.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Green, I know :)  We are going through the same thing. I purchased two at Target but I have to call to verify (I got the liquid for school, I pre-draw and label the syringes and send them in with the original package). I also picked up the chews. Once I call them (I hope to do this this week some time) I will try and remember to get back to you. Maybe shoot me a PM in a week if I don't remember!

Gemini, No!  Benadryl will not STOP an ana reaction. This is a popular myth with allergies.  Many reactions will self limit BUT you never know which ones will and which won't so you ALWAYS give Epi according to your Dr's plan. Benadryl is often used for one body system involvement. If  two or more are involved, that is considered an ana reaction and that is when most Dr's say to epi and call 911 :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

I was told today when I called that the grape chewables and the dye-free bubblegum diphenhydramine are both gluten free. Now the other stuff we are avoiding I am not as confident in the answer I got....  

Hope that helps a little.

greenbeanie Enthusiast

I was told today when I called that the grape chewables and the dye-free bubblegum diphenhydramine are both gluten free. Now the other stuff we are avoiding I am not as confident in the answer I got....  

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks! There's a Target about 30 minutes from where I live, and it will definitely be worth the trip to get some!

Archived