Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1desperateladysaved

Sharing The Kitchen With A Super-Sensitive Celiac

Please does anyone know of an article which is brief and to the point of the needs of a celiac for food not contaminated?  I have been told to eat at home to avoid my reactions to any and all contamination.  Home should be a safe harbor without grains I am intolerant to? 

Your own ideas are welcome!

It took my wife a few months to get used to it but honestly, after a few times of me being so sick and leaving a trail around the house that I was too sick to clean up, she got the message about not  having  flour or things hidden from me that I could see but were still in the air -- also about using my colendar once  and having  a piece of her pasta stuck in it.  Its been  9 years and for the most part she is good but some times her friends  visit and bring a bag of pretzels like a few  weeks ago. I got rather upset at that -- so sometimes it just happens-- No matter how hard a spouse or room mate or partner tries, sometimes they deserve a break too and  have           to coexisit. They do have to try to make sure we're not suffering from  their actions

good luck

Please does anyone know of an article which is brief and to the point of the needs of a celiac for food not contaminated?  I have been told to eat at home to avoid my reactions to any and all contamination.  Home should be a safe harbor without grains I am intolerant to? 

Your own ideas are welcome!

One of the most difficult things is to always keep your cool. (At least it can be particularly trying for me at times.) The gluten eater(s) will screw up. It isn't a matter of if, but of when. This will not be restricted to a single incident either, but will happen many times, although I notice it happens less and less frequently with time. The key here is communication. My husband knows that without fail he can come to me and tell me "hey, I just made the most idiotic mistake that could make you sick in the kitchen" and I will simply deal with it. Even if I want to bite his head off, I just shut my mouth and deal with the situation at hand because I need him to know he can come to me and there won't be a problem. The problem will happen the time he doesn't come to me, which is exactly what will happen if I blow up in his face about things.

Other than that, assess the level of caring of the person or people you are dealing with along with their capacity to learn what they need to learn and to implement it. Then decide on your plan from there. For me, my husband is every bit my partner in the kitchen and I trust him as much as I could ever trust anyone, which is to say I kinda trust him a little. As for the other two people we share a kitchen with, a simple rule of "under no circumstances whatsoever should physical contact with anything that is mine in the kitchen be initiated" had to be implemented. Only you can decide which end of the spectrum anyone you share a kitchen with falls into.

Sure, for many home will be a safe harbor that will be free of whatever foods could be an issue. For others, we are simply in a position of sharing a kitchen and must buck up and deal with it as best we can. At the same time though, it is important for those sharing with us not to make it difficult for no reason and to do what they can to clean up after themselves and keep their poisonous ways contained as much as possible.