Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lcole

Hello - New To The Board

Hello,

My son was diagnosed last week with celiac and colitis.  It is such a heart breaking thing to go through.  Basically he has had diarreah (with blood) for the past month.  He is 11 years old, getting ready to start middle school in a matter of weeks.  He had a colonoscopy and endoscopy last week with the diagnosis two days later.  We have him on a gluten free and dairy free diet and he is also on some medication (lialda) for his colitis.  Nothing has changed with his bowel movements.  I am just wondering, at least for the celiac part, how long does it take for the body to heal.  I am so hoping we can have his bowel movements under better control before he starts middle school.  Also, I have 3 other children.  Should I have them tested as well?

Hello, welcome and big hugs! Good to have answers so you have a good direction to go in. We're new in the Celiac boat too and the people here are so incredibly informative and helpful (more so than most doctors!!!) Feel free to ask questions and I bet there will be someone who comes along that has been in that boat and can give you all sorts of good information.

It does take time. My little guy is still working on healing...though, it's been less than a week of gluten-free for him and I'm not sure we didn't have cross contamination issues with his sister's graduation party....and now being at his grandpa's and being gone at the zoo tomorrow. Hopefully, he comes back with no issues.

Anyway...welcome! Hugs to your son....he's entering that tender stage of needing to fit in with everyone. There is a kid on Facebook that is amazing. He has Celiac's and an adrenal disease....let me find his name and you or your son can search him out and see if he helps him to feel more normal. I know he posts other kids' Facebook pages that they start up about their journey with Celiac and what have you. I know it helps me knowing there are other parents out there....I figure it will help a little at least knowing there are other kids out there that have similar issues....and the kid isn't just on Facebook, he has a blog too...in case you haven't hopped on the Facebook bandwagon with your 11 year old. :)

Welcome to the board.  :)

I'm sorry to here of your son's double diagnosis.  :(  It is possible that he could take some extra time healing because of the colitis, which from what I have observed, tends to really vary in how quickly one improves.  Celiac has a fair bit of variation too. Some seem to develop normal bathroom habits within a few days, most seem to take weeks, and some take months or years. It does seem to me that kids, and those who caught the disease early, tend to get back to normal faster.

Best of luck to him. I hope he manages to skip the gluten withdrawal (moodiness, fatigue, headaches, GI issues)  and feels better soon.

Icole, if the rest of the family is eating gluten, and I assume they are, you need to be very careful about cross-contamination. He needs his own toaster, and condiments. If someone dips a clean knife in the peanutbutter jar or mayo or whatever, then spreads it on their bread and then dips it back into that jar, it is now contaminated. That may sound extreme to you at first, but it really is enough to make him sick and prevent healing. Cutting boards, wooden spoons and strainers - he needs his own. Scratched plastic or teflon is another place you can't get gluten out of. Read the Newbie 101 thread for a wealth of information about how to keep him truly gluten-free. And then read as many other threads as you can here. Check out the breakfast/lunch/dinner threads for meal ideas.

And ask as many questions as come to mind.

11 years old is a golden time for a kid. They are just beginning to blossom and become the person they are going to be. I teach guitar and 11 seems to be the best time for them to start. They are so creative at that age and the world is opening up for them. Give him a hug for me and tell him I hope he is feeling better soon. (You could even mention that I hope he takes up a musical instrument this year too.  :lol:  )

Thanks for the info once again.  You know, I had bought him his own peanut butter but totally forgot about the mayo and we had a dipping sauce on Sunday that we used mayo for with his chicken.  We bought a separate strainer, pot and cooking utensils for him.  I guess I am wondering for silverware, if I run it through the dishwasher, that should be fine, right?