Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BelleVie

Hello, Gluten-Induced Anger. Nice To See You Again.

I'm four and a half weeks into a gluten challenge, and today, after eating a sandwich for lunch, I absolutely ERUPTED in a dark explosion of anger. I work in a kindergarten, so I had to try and contain, but it was so bad that I had to go to the bathroom, do a few air punches, silently scream, and then break down crying. The trigger? My boyfriend was talking to a co-worker about us possibly taking a trip to an island next month, and he hadn't mentioned it to me yet. I think I just got upset because he was discussing the prospect with someone else before he was discussing it with me. Oh my.

My dear boyfriend, thank goodness for him, understands and tells me that it's okay, but I told him that I wish he could be inside of my body and mind when this happens. It truly is like Jekyll and Hide, and you just can't control it. When I'm off gluten, I NEVER get angry. Ever. It was such a strange feeling, and I was shocked at the angry, frustrated person that seemed to crawl out of the depths of me. 

I just needed to vent that, and I'm sure that lots of other people here suffer from the "gluten grumpies," although I guess it's more like "the gluten-induced, irrational furies."  :D Thank you for listening! 

Yup, I know how that is! Hopefully it will be over soon. The last two weeks of my gluten challenge overlapped with the first two weeks of my daughter's gluten withdrawal, and boy did we have a grumpy household! Hang in there.

how much longer for your challenge?  I hope you're done soon!!

I've always had a much shorter temper around my family because hey aren't they suppose to love you no matter what  :P

I've been gluten-free for 4 months now, and my Mom has noticed different improvements, but one of them has been my anger.  One day she was like, "Maybe gluten is why you've always had a temper."  When I was born the doctor even told my Mom, "Oh it looks like this one has a temper."  In general I'm able to handle stress so much better since going gluten-free.  Hope you feel better soon!

I'm four and a half weeks into a gluten challenge, and today, after eating a sandwich for lunch, I absolutely ERUPTED in a dark explosion of anger. I work in a kindergarten, so I had to try and contain, but it was so bad that I had to go to the bathroom, do a few air punches, silently scream, and then break down crying. The trigger? My boyfriend was talking to a co-worker about us possibly taking a trip to an island next month, and he hadn't mentioned it to me yet. I think I just got upset because he was discussing the prospect with someone else before he was discussing it with me. Oh my.

My dear boyfriend, thank goodness for him, understands and tells me that it's okay, but I told him that I wish he could be inside of my body and mind when this happens. It truly is like Jekyll and Hide, and you just can't control it. When I'm off gluten, I NEVER get angry. Ever. It was such a strange feeling, and I was shocked at the angry, frustrated person that seemed to crawl out of the depths of me. 

I just needed to vent that, and I'm sure that lots of other people here suffer from the "gluten grumpies," although I guess it's more like "the gluten-induced, irrational furies."  :D Thank you for listening! 

I had the same problem.  Thank goodness it doesn't happen anymore after nearly 6 years gluten free.  Early in the diagnosis when my husband would leave gluteny crumbs lying around, my reaction was not good for our marriage!  Maybe knowing it will soon be gone will help you cope a tiny bit.  Good luck.

I once started explaining how gluten made me feel angry, and started to apologize to my husband in advance. He started laughing and informed me it was crystal clear to him when I got in it - anger, withdrawal, general b%$@#y moodiness. Basically, no warning required!

Btw, I don't think it does that anymore. Maybe if I was on a challenge? I'm pretty mellow (I think), now.