This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Glutened And Still Suffering After Three Weeks

CR5442

CR5442 Contributor

I posted a couple of weeks back but had no replies.  Can someone tell me is it normal to still be suffered after three weeks from a glutening?  In acupuncture my therapist said there were issues with my small intestine... which adds up.  But despite her treatment I still have a very quick bowel, dehydration and anxiety/depression/irritability.  How long can I expect this to last?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I would think that if you were glutened 3 weeks ago but have no other health issues or problems with your Gi tract, then this would not be normal.  This is usual when you are first diagnosed and go gluten-free as it takes awhile to heal but 3 weeks of problems like you are having sounds like something else may be going on.  I am not sure if acupuncture would be a good choice to help clear this up.  Don't get me wrong....I think it valuable for many things but maybe you should see an MD to see if it isn't something else?

nvsmom Community Regular

I agree with Gemini, if you have been gluten-free for a long time (a year or longer) then those symptoms could be something else. For those still early in the healing process, a glutening can linger.  I, for example, have been gluten-free for a year (except a few accidents) yet I still have slightly abnormally high antibodies so I am sort of "being glutened" even when I'm not eating gluten; I imagine that when I do do get some gluten in me, those antibodies would be quicker to rise and linger a good long while.

I hope you feel better soon!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Personally, I've experienced super fast recoveries and extended recoveries. When it's a long one, its because exposure triggers some sort of all-over system wide autoimmune reaction.

I'm generally at higher risk if its allergy season...my body goes into a spin.

Try an OTC antihistamine every other day or so. I use Costco's generic Claritin or Claritin children's chewables (great for half doses). Others use Benadryl or something else. Antihistamines can suppress the immune system and ai reactions. It's a cheat, but sometimes a valuable one.

You may also consider another ai disease involvement, like thyroid. The worse my thyroid is managed, the harder my gluten recovery. Le sigh.

CR5442 Contributor

Hmmm, now to figure out what the problem is.  Could it be thyroid related?  I have a lot of hair falling out at the moment and very puffy eyes/dry in the morning.  Feel like I can't get out of bed in the mornings.

CR5442 Contributor

You read my mind Prickly Pear.  Thanks!  I thought thyroid because of the stomach/puffiness/tiredness and water weight.  My acupuncturist could work on that for me.  I'm relieved also that the recovery time can vary.  I thought as much.  We are having a crazy hayfever season with the grass/weeds/trees all coming out together because of our really late snow this year.  Everyone I know is suffering so this could quite well be making things worse.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

If your hair is falling out, RUN to get thyroid testing. Free t3/t4, total t3/t4, rt3, antibodies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Hmmm, now to figure out what the problem is.  Could it be thyroid related?  I have a lot of hair falling out at the moment and very puffy eyes/dry in the morning.  Feel like I can't get out of bed in the mornings.

Caroline.....do not rely on an acupuncturist to treat potential thyroid disease.  You need to see a doctor and have some blood work done because thyroid disease can be serious if not treated properly.  You can use the acupuncture to enhance treatment of thyroid problems BUT you cannot cure or stop a thyroid problem with acupuncture alone.  You may need to supplement with thyroid hormone but you need a real doctor to monitor that with blood work.  I detest going to doctors and they drive my BP up but I am not that silly that I would not go when needed.  All of the symptoms you mention are consistent with thyroid disease.

I wish you luck...make sure they do a FULL THYROID Panel on you!  :)

dilettantesteph Collaborator

In my case, when my glutening symptoms don't go away it is because I am still eating gluten.  Could that be a possibility?  Could it be that something in your diet has changed?  It could be a change that you made, or a change that one of your food suppliers has made.  To figure it out, what I do is eliminate suspect things until I come up with the right one.  I try to not change more than one thing per week as it can take that long for a difference to become evident.  This could be done at the same time as you make your doctor appointments and take the tests to see if there is another cause.

CR5442 Contributor

Hey everyone.  I went to have pulse tests done with my acupuncturist yesterday.  It's not thyroid, adrenal or pituitary.  I am intolerant to chocolate - that is cocoa... So even without any of the other allergens, milk, soya, coconut etc, I just can't eat it.  HOW annoying!  So in 21 days of eliminating the chocolate I should feel better - only 17 more days to go.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I like acupuncture too, but I personally wouldn't want to rely solely on that for diagnosis for something as serious as thyroid etc.

Just my opinion :-)

Cocoa is an annoying one :(

Good luck

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Please go to your regular doctor and ask for stool testing to make sure you didn't get some form of food poisoning. Could it be thyroid issues, I don't know. Hair will fall out with a lot of illnesses or stresses and IMHO you need to be evaluated by a medical doctor for not just thyroid but also food poisoning or other problems.It isn't always gluten and acupuncture has it's place (I have used it myself) but at times an MD is needed.

• 3 weeks later...
CR5442 Contributor

Well it turned out that I wasn't glutened, I had coxsakie virus, which looks a little like chickenpox apart from the lesions.  Had some wierd itchy spots but now they have pretty much gone.  However, then had a nasty cold, then had a proper glutening eating something i thought was maize but was actually bulgar wheat.  Now had D every morning until my gut has gotten rid of everything in it.  Six days now and counting.  Very dehydrated and feeling a bit pants.  Has anyone had a fever with a glutening.  i got a really bad one where I couldn't move on day two.  Next day it all started to come out... if you get what I mean.

Archived