answerseeker

Is It Possible Gluten Intolerance Can Come Out Of Nowhere?

Rate this topic

I'm perplexed! I was just chatting with my kids about how we would go camping and I would eat cookies, sandwiches, and all the other good camping food and never had a problem. Yes I've always had digestive issues and was diagnosed with GERD last year, but I could eat bread etc and not have the dilibilating pain that I get now. The pain is the worst stomach pain I've felt 2nd to labor.

It seems everything came on all at once. 2 months ago we went on our family vacation to Seattle.Of course we ate out every meal for 5 days straight. then that's when it all changed. The day we came home I was in excrutiating pain with nausea and so dizzy the room was spinning. next day I went to the dr. and then from there has been test after test. GI thinks gluten intolerant with Celiac symptoms but not a true celiac picture if that makes any sense. biopsy was negative so were the blood tests.

My kids and I would eat at Subway for lunch at least 2 times a month. I homeschool so a trip to Subway was pretty usual for us. Now I eat one little 6 inch sandwich and I'm doubled over in pain and it all starts over again. My belly swells and looks like I'm pregnant and the noises coming from it sounds like something lives in there lol

Could this be something else or can I suddenly become intolerant to gluten like this?

oh and a little background I was diagnosed with acute adult onset asthma in April of 2012.

Yes, it can come out of nowhere, but you've had symptoms of GI issues and GERD for a while now - the pain and bloating is just a new symptom of your gluten sensitivity.

NCGS has every nasty symptom that celiac disease has. There are many on this board with NCGS who have suffered with more extreme symptoms than I have. I think most of the symptoms come from the inflammation and not the villi damage... To be honest, I think that villi damage (celiac disease) is just another symptom of gluten sensitivity like migraines or arthralgias, that not everybody gets, but that is just my own opinion.

It could be something else, but it sure sounds like a severe gluten sensitivity. Best wishes.

This makes me wonder if NCGI is hereditary. 

and maybe food intolerances in general. My mother is allergic to strawberries, she had a severe reaction to them as an adult but she never remembered reacting to them as a child. weird.

It could be something else, but it sure sounds like a severe gluten sensitivity. Best wishes.

yeah seems so, the bloating and everything is still present but I've only been gluten free since July 2nd so not enough time to completely heal. But the pain is gone unless I eat something I'm not supposed to.

Does chocolate contain gluten? My husband brought me back chocolate covered macadamia nuts from his business trip the other day and I ate about 4 pieces and had the same extreme pain. I felt like going to the ER it was so bad! I couldn't find any wheat in the ingredients, and the ones from Hawaii only have a few ingredients in them. they don't seem highly processed?

The thing with nuts and chocolate is that they are often produced in a factories which also processes gluten. Meaning that trace amounts of cc can be present in the chocolate. Some manufacturers don't bother mentioning these facts in the label. 

I really wonder. because things coming to us, "out of the blue" and our inability to know what the meat and other food industry do to our food makes me feel like, we suddenly get illnesses, that previous generations didnt "suddenly get" and other countries are not "suddenly getting". (we cant even legally film their actions, in a friendly or non friendly way. nor can we legally speak against the meat industry portion of the food industry. And lets not get started on the food kept in plastics and metals and what effects it has, and what legal changes based on profit not health may have taken place without our knowing it.)

Edited by themicmic