Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

megsybeth

Ds And I Seem To Keep Getting Glutened

I feel like I'm really careful but lately a couple times a week I'm getting pain and brain fog and he's getting D and grumpiness. I know I need to go back to basics but a couple things that I thought might be causing issues, though it's hard to say when we get triggered:

-Think Think Bars, I have one a day and try not to let ds have them but he always nags for bites

-quinoa? possible?

-Sukhi's sauce mixes (Indian). I think these are the likely culprit and will eliminate but they are dedicated gluten-free and vetted by Sprouts, which checks pretty well before putting their store gluten-free label on and much of the Indian diet is naturally gluten-free, so cc seems less likely...

I don't think these are other food sensitivities because for me, it's an intestinal burn and fogginess that can only come from one thing. I also get plain old disgustingly sick from oats, watching out for those more vigilantly too.

Any tips on above brands appreciated. Any other bars to try? I have a very hard time finding things I can eat in the morning. Even before diagnosis, I needed to have something that I could make myself eat first thing. I make my own lara bars for the boys but want something less sugary for me.

I feel like I'm really careful but lately a couple times a week I'm getting pain and brain fog and he's getting D and grumpiness. I know I need to go back to basics but a couple things that I thought might be causing issues, though it's hard to say when we get triggered:

-Think Think Bars, I have one a day and try not to let ds have them but he always nags for bites

-quinoa? possible?

-Sukhi's sauce mixes (Indian). I think these are the likely culprit and will eliminate but they are dedicated gluten-free and vetted by Sprouts, which checks pretty well before putting their store gluten-free label on and much of the Indian diet is naturally gluten-free, so cc seems less likely...

I don't think these are other food sensitivities because for me, it's an intestinal burn and fogginess that can only come from one thing. I also get plain old disgustingly sick from oats, watching out for those more vigilantly too.

Any tips on above brands appreciated. Any other bars to try? I have a very hard time finding things I can eat in the morning. Even before diagnosis, I needed to have something that I could make myself eat first thing. I make my own lara bars for the boys but want something less sugary for me.

Are you rinsing your quinoa before cooking, even if it states already rinsed do it anyway.  I wasn't rinsing mine and it was making me sick once I started rinsing I was fine with it. 

I had the same problem.  What helped me was to eat mainly produce and unprocessed meats.  I tried to only add one new thing per week, and keep a food/symptom journal.  Those snack bars are good, but you won't starve without them!  I hope you work things out soon.

If you really just want to buy a bar and want to try something different, I like both Kind and Trio bars.

As for the Sukhi's, what their website lists is not what you seem to think is the case. While it says they test for gluten and take every step to avoid cross contamination, they do use a shared facility. http://sukhis.com/products/home-chef/vindaloo-curry-paste.php I would never make assumption about a culture's general diet or allow a store's policy on checking on things to be what keeps me safe.

You wouldn't be the first or last people to describe gluten symptoms from a non-gluten food intolerance. I've seen them described all over the spectrum from the C and D and other GI upsets to neurological symptoms, headaches, the dreaded fog, moodiness, and I'm sure plenty of things I'm not thinking of. It isn't something to rule out completely.