Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

laura1959

Gluten Withdrawal: How Do You Function?

I suppose I don't get how so many people can understand that extracts from poppy plants can affect pain and pleasure sensors in our brains, but refuse to believe that extracts from other plants could affect these same sensors.

I can't help but wonder if they don't realize that the gluten peptide studies aren't stemming from suppositions on the internet or a book, but from two studies conducted at the National Institutes of Health, both of which looked at actual brain chemistry. 

It certainly seems to have a solid basis.  I just googled "gluten opioid peptide" and a whole bunch of scholarly articles came up.  Here's one:  

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/001457939381727H

And the search is here:  

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=gluten+peptides+opioid&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=MuryUaKICKjrigKVz4CICw&ved=0CC0QgQMwAA

So I'm going with the idea that there is, in fact, a "real" opioid-like withdrawal component to this.  

I'm not going to try to taper off of gluten, though, for reasons already noted (I want bone healing to begin).  My back hurts, and now that I know I have osteoporosis, that worries me.  I do think that for someone who has less systemic damage than I apparently do it could be an option but I would think most people would want/need to get their digestive system functioning as soon as possible.  

Interestingly, today is day three without gluten for me (again) and, while I'm feeling a little fuzzy, it's not quite as bad as it was when I did this before.  Hoping I can get through it with a positive attitude and holding out the hope of feeling better as the days go by.  

• Forum Discussions

Thank you Ranchers Wife.  Since I'm asymptomatic, I would not know if I had gluten. I cannot imagine having to worry about getting sick from cross-contamination. 
    Hi Jenna1028, They test for DH by taking a small skin biopsy from clear skin next to a lesion.  If you have DH, you have celiac disease.  But, you need to be eating a gluten diet for 12 weeks (gluten challenge) before getting the skin bi...
    To the OP, once in a while this stuff happens.  Please feel free to start a new topic if that would make it easier.  I am afraid this is just part of forums on the internet. I hope this didn’t chase you off.