Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

no7ang

Have I Been Glutened?

ok so today is day 5 of being gluten free, I've been very careful and only prepared and ate food at home. By day 3 i noticed that my stomach was actually quite and not jumping all over the place. Anyway today whilst at the market i got a cup of coffee (brought from a burger stall) and my stomach has reverted back to sounding like there is a tsunarmi going on. is it possible the coffee/coffee cup was contaminated? have i just had my first experience of being glutened or do symptoms come and go the first few weeks and this is quite normal so the drink out is not to blame----

obviously i don't know yet what getting 'glutened' is --unless this is it? and i need to be more careful?

Coffee in and of itself is gluten-free, whether instant or not, and including decaf. But at a burger stand there is a potential risk. It should be okay if the cups are stacked bottom-up, and the server takes the one from the top of the stack by the sides. If they are stacked bottom-down, there are two risks. Crumbs might get into the open top of the cup; or the server might (likely will) grab the cup by grabbing the rim.

And yes, as you go through the healing process, random symptoms come and go because your gut is damaged. Depending on several factors, the time to heal could be a few weeks to several months. In my case, I had noticeable symptoms for at least four weeks after going gluten-free, and occasional ones (that I notices) for about four months.

thanks--think that contamination of the coffee/cup was my worry as thinking back the young girl was going from serving burgers to then doing drinks--anyway--won't do that again, this process really is a step in to the unknown at first.

Lots of borborygmus gurgling is one of the first symptoms I experience when I've had quite a bit of contamination in what should otherwise be a gluten-free food. It starts within minutes of being glutened and can last for several hours. And I really only experienced that in the first couple months of going gluten free. Not sure if that means that I've gotten better at avoiding contamination or if my digestive system healed, or both.