Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebekka

A Big Thank You To This Community, Plus Wheat Starch Rant

I just thought I´d thank this wonderful community! During the two years since my celiac disease diagnosis, I´ve used this site as my number one support system along with my family. Even before diagnosis, this site was a HUGE help and lead me to ask my doctor for a blood test. This community is the best, with so many helpful and knowledgeable people!

In the last couple of months, my health has improved a lot. I really struggled up until a year, year and a half  after going gluten free. Part of this was great damage after going so many years undiagnosed (I´m twenty and have been sick more than half my life) Another thing that probably contributed a great deal to my slow healing, was that I would once in a while eat bread that contained "gluten free" wheat starch!! 

I live in Norway, and here in scandinavia, wheat starch is found in A LOT of gluten free processed foods and flours. People seem to think "a little bit won´t hurt you", and that wheat starch is perfectly ok to include in a celiac´s diet. CRAZY! I used to think that too, until I researched the topic. I think it´s a complete disaster and a tragedy that the manufacturers in scandinavia are pushing products that are, in my opinion, bad for any celiac!

My health has improved greatly since removing "gluten-free" wheat starch, chocolate (I can`t find a single chocolate bar in Norway that I won´t react to, the laws for labeling allergens is rubbish) and any product that might not be safe. Heck, as stated above, I can´t even trust gluten free labeled items to actually be gluten free. I believe that a 20 ppm "safe gluten" limit is way too high and could cause damage. I´m now realizing that I need to stay away from processed foods all together! 

To end it on the positive note it started, thank you all so much for being here and always being so helpful and kind! 

That is a real shame that their labelling laws are so loose over there!  :( I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

I am glad that you are feeling better now. I hope it continues.  :)

Yes I think just eating whole meat , good fresh veggies and a fresh starch is good!! I am trying to stick to that!! It is hard with fast food and all but It is do able! Processed Pfftttt!

This is nice to hear...especially the parts about you improving!

Thanks for sharing...it is nice to have folks pop back in to remind others that healing happens...it just takes time.

Feel free to join in anytime...the more the merrier around here :)