Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cap6

Responses To "i Have Celiac" Or "i Have Food Allergies" ...... Gotta Vent A Little!

I love the responses!  For the most part I really don't have a problem eating out and/or at friends.  Everyone has become accoustomed to me bringing my own stuff.  It's that look of pity that still throws me.  I wanna smack the server or something.  lol  One night I was really pushed to the edge with comments on "poor you" and looks from the server so that when she got around to me for my order I said "wine only.  I'm an alcoholic."   She grabbed my menu and left.  guess I won't use that line again.

Anyway............thanks for the vent.  Every so often a girl just has to vent!

One night I was really pushed to the edge with comments on "poor you" and looks from the server so that when she got around to me for my order I said "wine only.  I'm an alcoholic."   She grabbed my menu and left.  guess I won't use that line again.

That is awesome! I would totally do that if I were a wine drinker, just to get exactly that response. I love it. Better than pity!

lol...my regular conversation with waitstaff now is -- "I can't safely eat anything on your menu due to severe allergies, so please bring me a glass of Zin just as soon as possible...thanks" then after they toddle away I whip out something yummy looking...more often then not they are curious about what I am eating :)

If you really want to show off (I always do) make a Pavlova. There are tons of recipes out there... all it is is meringue, custard (use Jello pudding) and fruit. All gluten free.

If you really want to show off (I always do) make a Pavlova. There are tons of recipes out there... all it is is meringue, custard (use Jello pudding) and fruit. All gluten free.

Pavlova is positively divine. I prefer mini ones for guests so everyone has their own instead of cutting a large one. Heck... I always prefer mini ones!

I love it when people rant. It makes me feel better too.

I have to attend a family event at a restaurant that I can't avoid, and am dreading having the whole gluten conversation arise when I don't have any food in front of me. I don't mind having to eat my own food before and after, but I just really don't want to have to have those conversations. I'm even considering bringing something that I've made myself and just have them plate it, even if I have to pay.

And you'd think it would be easier considering that the person who is throwing the event, my sister, is also allergic to gluten but nope, just some gluten-free items coming out of a contaminated kitchen.

But if I do get frustrated, I try to remember the woman I know who has it worse. She's allergic to dairy, eggs, and nuts, to leather (think shoes), to nickel (think any sort of costume jewelry), to latex and rubber (can't find kitchen utensils without that stuff in the handles), and to cats and dogs.

Not only does she have to bring her own food everywhere she goes, she has to shop for plastic shoes at payless! It could be worse.

One night I was really pushed to the edge with comments on "poor you" and looks from the server so that when she got around to me for my order I said "wine only.  I'm an alcoholic."   She grabbed my menu and left.  guess I won't use that line again.

Anyway............thanks for the vent.  Every so often a girl just has to vent!

^^^^stealing that!!  lolz!!  :D