Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LolaB

Bloating, Cramps, Diarreha Still ..................... Attractive!

I have been gluten free for 9 months!  1 year scope coming September and cant wait to see if I am healing................ After close to 30 years of being ill and low weight. Finally told I have Celiac and I am not crazy!  I am 5'4" and hanging on to 112............ I know I am very careful, not gluten in my home, all makeup, soaps, shampoos I try my hardest to be gluten free.  But I need to know please, is it "nornal" to still have days of diarrhea? bloating like I am pregnant even after a glass of water at times?  My GI also told me I have IBS, along with most of the world.....when I stress or anxious the same day or a day or two later I will have diarrhea......could very well be my nerves.   I do have to say that I am most definitely a lot better then I was 9 months ago, and my husband reminds me of that when I start to feel low about the days I have diarrhea and bloating or cramps.....it always seems to come in waves ........ feel good......great.....then days when I need an imodium and no matter what I eat I have diarreha!!    Does anyone else understand or going through this?  I mean I can have quinoa for breakfast, green tea then cramp and gotta poop.......weird!   It makes me worry and scared that I am not getting better or I am slowly dying.....sounds dramatic but somethimes thats how I feel.    Please help ........ anyone? :(   thanks!

I have been gluten free for 9 months!  1 year scope coming September and cant wait to see if I am healing................ After close to 30 years of being ill and low weight. Finally told I have Celiac and I am not crazy!  I am 5'4" and hanging on to 112............ I know I am very careful, not gluten in my home, all makeup, soaps, shampoos I try my hardest to be gluten free.  But I need to know please, is it "nornal" to still have days of diarrhea? bloating like I am pregnant even after a glass of water at times?  My GI also told me I have IBS, along with most of the world.....when I stress or anxious the same day or a day or two later I will have diarrhea......could very well be my nerves.   I do have to say that I am most definitely a lot better then I was 9 months ago, and my husband reminds me of that when I start to feel low about the days I have diarrhea and bloating or cramps.....it always seems to come in waves ........ feel good......great.....then days when I need an imodium and no matter what I eat I have diarreha!!    Does anyone else understand or going through this?  I mean I can have quinoa for breakfast, green tea then cramp and gotta poop.......weird!   It makes me worry and scared that I am not getting better or I am slowly dying.....sounds dramatic but somethimes thats how I feel.    Please help ........ anyone? :(   thanks!

If you're not ingesting any gluten, then you need to consider other possible allergens (or 'intolerances' for people who don't consider delayed reactions allergies). I was not diagnosed with celiac disease until my 50s after a lifetime of symptoms and misdiagnoses.  During that time all the gluten damage to my intestines helped me develop allergies to many common food ingredients. An ELISA blood test and another Enterolab test diagnosed my 6 additional allergies.   Those test results were confirmed by my reactions after abstaining from and then eating the diagnosed foods.   

Also you might consider gut bugs, like bacteria, parasites and/or yeasts (like candida).  I was diagnoed with (stool tests) and treated for 8 different gut bugs over a 4 year period.  Then I learned that low stomach acid allowed food born bugs to go to my intestines and proliferate.  So improving my stomach acid also improved my digestion (eliminated gut cramps, reflux and indigestion).

I'm not saying that you have anything like i had after years of undiagnosed celiac disease.  However, you might consider other causes of your symptoms, if you know you're not getting any gluten.

Is your tea gluten free? Lots of teas include a variety of ingredients that may be something other than just tea. My WholeFoods stores label gluten-free teas on their shelves with big green tags, and I'm always amazed at how few are actually making the gluten-free grade, though I don't doubt that there are some additional ones in the mix that are safe. There are probably loads of opportunities for cross contamination in the processing.

I'd look for a source of gluten that is slipping in there accidentally in addition to other food allergies, or perhaps before you have to eliminate even more foods.

Else, some vitamin deficiencies can cause IBS symptoms without being actual IBS so you could get your levels checked.

I think a celiac's gut is more sensitive to other foods. I still get bloated and have pain on occassion too, after one year gluten-free. Just yesterday, I had a smoothy with spinach, hemp, cucs, and kiwi fruit and I bloated up mildly but had such pain that I took an ibuprofen (I usually skip pain drugs). I was get cold and clammy it hurt so much... No idea why. :huh:

i do know that processed junk food will give me discomfort within 24 hours. I don't feel good when I eat gluten-free bread, and apples and pears make me bloat up like a balloon.

My bathroom habits are mostly normal but I get days when i run to the toilet and then other days where I wish I could go...

I think it takes a long time to get better. We just need to stay gluten-free, keep and eye out for other food intolerances, and try to be patient.  :(