Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank you for reading!

I got accepted to a nursing program and had to take a PPD test. I took the skin test and it came up positive. The bump was red and slightly raised. I don't have insurance right now so I didnt the quantigold test since I hear it's expensive. Since my school wanted a chest xray, I got that instead and it came up completely normal. My doctor said I may have latent tb, in which case I would have to start antibiotics. I've heard that the antibiotics can cause nausea and stomach discomfort, which I'm sure feels much worse when you have Celiac. I'm not at a point where I want to be sick for 6 months taking the abx while going to school. The doctor said that latent Tb can become active with a weakened immune system, and mentioned examples such as chemotherapy... so far I'm overall a healthy person but of course things can always change. 

I'm going to determine pricing for the Quantigold test and see if there are any support services. I haven't had a PPD skin test in forever; if I did I'm sure I'd remember if it came up positive. 

Anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone had to take the antibiotics and, if so, were your experiences similar to that I described above? 

Is this what the nursing program requires?  As I am remembering, you might not need any treatment, but check this.  You might want a second opinion.  Maybe google for a site that has good info about TB?