• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

tammy

Mccann's Oatmeal

Rate this topic

Are there any recipes for oatmeal cookies using McCann's Irish Oatmeal?

It is the only oatmeal that we can eat. So I wanted to make oatmeal cookies using McCann's oats. However, these oats are steel cut and they are not flakey. So I don't know how the cookies will come out if I use the cooked oats.

I will let you know.... :lol:

Tammy,

McCann's also makes Irish-style rolled oats, which should work just like "regular" oats in a cookie recipe. They come in a rectangular box rather than a tin.

McCann's also makes quick-cooking steel-cut oats, which I absolutely LOVE! They have so much more texture than the rolled oats, but they take only five to seven minutes to cook!

Maybe your health-food store would have these products. I buy mine at Trader Joe's. Do you have one of those near you? Good luck with the cookies!

Oats do not intrinsically contain gluten, oat products have gluten due to cross contamination. McCann's is a brand that many us do eat without trouble. This website cites a study where adults were fed a controlled amount of uncontaminated oats for 5 years and showed no villi damage.

Should you choose to try and incorporate oats into your diet, McCann's is currently (besides a german manufactuerer in Europe), the only brand you should try.

Think it over, it's not something that everyone is comfortable with, but if you decide that you want to inroduce oats into your diet again, check out the McCann's website:

http://www.mccanns.ie/index.html

Good luck!

If you look on page 2 of this forum on recipes, you'll see a section on cookie recipes... I posted a great oatmeal cookie recipes there!

sorry, I'm not sure how to link to other pages on this site!

Thank you everyone for the oatmeal! This is the one thing I have been missing from my diet. I used to eat it every morning-now I can have it again.

My husband loves oatmeal cookies. But, the last time I baked them for him, it bothered me. Maybe he will not have to suffer without his cookies!

I will have to ask our Hy-Vee store to carry it. They have been just great about getting products for me.

Theresa

I've been looking for some oatmeal that I could eat too. Just like someone else who posted on here, I used to eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast but had to give it up after it started making me sick. This was almost 3 years ago, before I even knew anything about wheat allergies and celiac. After reading this posting, I went to the store yesterday and was so happy to find this oatmeal! I am getting ready to fix myself a bowl of it :). Thank you everyone!

I just posted an oatmeal cookie recipe in GLuten Free Recipes-Baking and cooking Tips under the thread No Bake Cookies.

They are awesome, but just found out they have issues with the humidity. Tried to make some yesterday and it was raining here in Louisiana. They did not turn out crunchy, they were kind of chewy instead.

Wenmin

The original post is from 2004 - McCann's is not gluten free (50 PPM) and not safe for celiacs. Per their website:

Are McCann's Oat products gluten free?

In the supply chain between farm and mill, there is a possible cross contamination with other grains, such as wheat and barley but we reckon that the level of non-oat grains to be less than 0.05%. Cleaning equipment within the milling process would remove the vast majority of these grains along with other elements such as stones, straw etc.

But we cannot guarantee that McCann's oats are totally gluten free and we recommend that consumers use their own judgement as to whether they wish to use our oatmeal or not. Many celiacs can tolerate our oatmeal products without any adverse effect but they may not suit those who are particularly sensitive.

Thanks, Janet!

For those of you looking for gluten-free oats, there are MANY brands available now. We use Gifts of Nature ourselves, but Bob's Red Mill and many other manufacturers have come out with certified gluten free oats since this original thread started.

Thanks, Janet!

For those of you looking for gluten-free oats, there are MANY brands available now. We use Gifts of Nature ourselves, but Bob's Red Mill and many other manufacturers have come out with certified gluten free oats since this original thread started.

yay! Such great news!! Thanks for sharing.