Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFRae

Been gluten-free For A Year Now But...

I was never tested for gluten intolerance/Celiac. About a year ago, I was having a lot of problems. One of my mother's gluten intolerant friends suggested that I might have the same problems, so I went off of it to see what would happen. After being off of it for a while, most of my problems cleared up, including some that I did not even know I had (can you say brain fog?). Every time I would eat gluten accidentally, I got very painful and immediate repercussions. It was a clear validation to me that I was intolerant. 

So I have been off of gluten for a year now. Probably about nine months since I accidentally consumed it. Well I accidentally consumed it about two days ago. It was the full deal - wheat, wheat bran, rye, you name it, it was mixed in this supposedly gluten free cereal. I was terrified, expecting severe pain and nausea. Here is what happened instead - I got nauseous enough that I had to swallow several times, but did not need to run to the bathroom. I got a little light-headed and experienced a headache. And my throat tightened up so it was a little harder to breathe (but I still could). Nothing was really severe and after two or so hours the symptoms went away entirely. 

So now I am left to wonder...am I really gluten intolerant/Celiac? Shouldn't those symptoms have been a lot worse after being off of wheat for so long? Maybe that is just what happens when you have not eaten a food group in a while? I would really appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thank you for your answers!

To me that sounds like a reaction to gluten. But if you think you can do it, ingest 'normal' amounts for a while and then get tested for celiac. That way you will know. Some people with celiac will not notice if they ingest gluten, they get no or minimal symptoms, but their intestine still gets damaged just the same.