Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

granite

Looking For Md Recommendations In Northern Nj, Nyc, Or Ct

I suspect that my husband (70 yrs.old) has gluten ataxia. His celiac panel blood tests for the past 2 years have been positive for DGA-IgG.   His symptoms are not gastrointestinal but mainly nuerological (i.e. mild forgetfullness, word-finding, confusion).   He had an episode after drinking a light beer or two that caused him to become numb in arms and legs to the point of falling, slurred speech, disorientation etc.....very scary experience.  Fortunately he was ok the next day. 

Since then I have read a lot about celiac and gluten ataxia and believe that he suffers from the gluten ataxia form of celiac which I know is not very well understood by the medical community.

I would like to hear your opinions as to wether we should see a nuerologist instead of a gastroenterologist or both.

I would also appreciate your recommendations regarding doctors in northern NJ, NYC  or CT who may be experienced with gluten ataxia as well as celiac.  Please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you all so much for your help!

I suspect that my husband (70 yrs.old) has gluten ataxia. His celiac panel blood tests for the past 2 years have been positive for DGA-IgG.   His symptoms are not gastrointestinal but mainly nuerological (i.e. mild forgetfullness, word-finding, confusion).   He had an episode after drinking a light beer or two that caused him to become numb in arms and legs to the point of falling, slurred speech, disorientation etc.....very scary experience.  Fortunately he was ok the next day. 

Since then I have read a lot about celiac and gluten ataxia and believe that he suffers from the gluten ataxia form of celiac which I know is not very well understood by the medical community.

I would like to hear your opinions as to wether we should see a nuerologist instead of a gastroenterologist or both.

I would also appreciate your recommendations regarding doctors in northern NJ, NYC  or CT who may be experienced with gluten ataxia as well as celiac.  Please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you all so much for your help!

If his Celiac tests are positive, why is he still consuming gluten?  May he should try to eat gluten free and get a negative test and see how he feels?  If this is caused by gluten, perhaps he can heal at least some of the damage.

However... I hope you took him in immediately to an emergency room to make sure he didn't have a stroke.