Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

answerseeker

Does Lactose Produce The Same Symptoms As Gluten For Some?

So the advice I've received here is to cut dairy to see if that's what is causing some symptoms to still linger for me.

I wasn't sure if its dairy or I'm still getting cc'd somewhere so last night I did a little experiment. My dinner was completely gluten free, brown rice spaghetti, meatballs (gluten-free breadcrumbs), and gluten-free sauce all made in my brand new pans that haven't come in contact with gluten. I felt fine then had a scoop of ice cream later in the evening.

My symptoms started within 15-20min after the ice cream. They mimicked a glutening.

Gas, bloating, pain in my shoulder with tingling fingers (i think gas trapped there), neck pain, rumbling, and stuffy nose. And this morning I'm a little nauseated.

It seems extreme to be a lactose reaction, has anyone experienced this with lactose?

Now that the "experiment" is over I will be cutting out dairy and see if I improve. Is lactose free milk safe? I've tried rice and nut milks and don't like them. Coconut milk gives me D

The bloating, gas, etc sounds like lactose intolerant.  The stuffy nose sounds like a milk allergy.  Might need to experiment with the lactose free dairy products and see.

Sure sounds like what happens to my Daughter also , she also cannot tolerate Coffee....

I agree with Karen.  I've known about my milk allergy for 20+ years.  I  was hoping  that healing from celiac disease would eliminate my milk allergy, but it has not!  Stuffy nose (lots of mucus)  is my allergy symptom and then I can't digest it.  I always thought that as a result of not consuming milk products that I became lactose intolerant.  I suppose I have both now!

Avoidance of milk products is best.  However, over the years, I have added butter to my baking products (not milk) and have been okay.  Butter supposedly has very little milk protein in it and when heated and distributed throughout the batter, I do not notice any symptoms.  

Luckily, I tolerate soy very well.  I can't use coconut milk or any nut milks.  Rice milk is too thin and watery.

Good luck!

For sure yes.  (I have problems with both lactose and casein)

Through the process of elimination, I realized that most of my crippling stomach issues were actually from dairy rather than gluten.  The gluten was causing MANY other symptoms, but the dairy was giving us (my grade school daughter and me) both hives, allergy symptoms and very very very bad, ahem...stomach issues.

We have been gluten free for 3 years and this summer have re-introduced butter.  My daughter seems to have zero issues, but I still get allergy symptoms if I have very much.  That is about as far as I'm willing to go, although I'd love to be able to eat greek yogurt.

Our dairy substitutions are coconut milk (Native Forest out of the can), rice milk and sometimes almond milk.  After a few years of this I still occasionally miss gluteny products, but honestly the milk doesn't bother me anymore.   

Good luck.

Yes! I thought I got glutened and by process of elimination realized I developed a dairy intolerance. Now I have small amounts of cheese with taking a lactaid pill first. Still too gunshy to have any gluten free pizza. (It's only been a few months since the intolerance started.)