This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Apparently You Guys Were Right, It's All In My Head!

Renegade

foam Apprentice

Only obvious thing that's a little low and out of range is your nuetrophils, no big deal. Just be aware that lactose intolerance is generally a sign of smouldering celiac disease. It may take another 10 or 15 years to show itself but chances are it's coming. Just remember that as you go forward in life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dilettantesteph Collaborator

Just be aware that lactose intolerance is generally a sign of smouldering celiac disease. 

I don't think that is at all true.  Lactose intolerance in adults is very common.Open Original Shared Link

Though it is true that celiac disease can cause lactose intolerance, it is not true that lactose intolerance is an indication of celiac disease.  Did you see that 90% in some African and Asian countries are lactose intolerant?

nvsmom Community Regular

The stat I see over and over is that approximately 50% of celiacs are lactose intolerant at diagnosis. The theory behind that is because lactase is made on the intestinal villi, so if the villi is damaged, it can't make lactase. I am guessing that it could be linked to the inflammation though.

psawyer Proficient

Oh here is the interesting part, the lactose intolerance test

Administrated dose: 75g

Fasting glucose: 4,6mmol/L

Glucose 30 minutes later: 5,5 mmol/L

Glucose 1 hour later: 4,3 mmol/L

Glucose 2hour later 4,3 mmol/L

That test was for glucose tolerance, i.e. diabetes. Based on those results, you do not have diabetes. It tells us nothing about your ability to tolerate lactose. But the comments by others about the relationship between lactose intolerance and damage to the villi are spot on.

kareng Grand Master

These are the ways to test for lactose intolerance. 

Open Original Shared Link

CR5442 Contributor

I'm IgG allergic to Casein and the ONLY solution has been to cut every single bit of dairy from my diet.  When I eat a tiny amount I feel like I'm going to have an asthma attack, I get dizzy and spaced out and then are poorly the next day.  I put on a tremendous amount of water weight when I eat dairy and become sweaty to the point I thought I was going through the change of life early!  HOWEVER, I would say please don't think that you might not have a gluten allergy because someone has pointed out that you are lactose intolerant (or casein).  I have not had a single positive test for celiac but had some bulgar wheat by accident a couple of weeks ago.  I have never been so ill in my life.  First day I was starving hungry all day no matter what I ate.  The next day I felt insanely sick, dizzy, ataxia, disorientation, like i had flu and then actually got a really high fever... and after that the stomach inflammation which has caused two weeks of pain and D.  If you want to test the gluten my advise is 'don't'.

Renegade Contributor

You wanna know how I feel when I drink milk? Lactose free milk, I feel wonderful and it feels like one of those things I can actually digest without going insane.

But hey I'll cut it too, just because...I dunno, anything that is called food I should cut so I'll cut that too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CR5442 Contributor

Keep drinking the LF milk then.  It obviously suits you.  I wasn't saying you should cut it.  My message was please don't think that you aren't celiac because the docs have found another intolerance.  As other posters have said, a lot of food intolerances go with the celiac.  I think that some are down to having a completely wrecked gut lining that lets anything through.  Some, like my casein intolerance, I think come from birth.  Eat what you like but be aware that if you start with a 'clean' diet, it is much much easier to figure out the culprits if you add them in one by one with a good ten day gap inbetween.  Good luck!

Renegade Contributor

This whole, clean diet is completely flawed because you need to first start with things you know are safe but you obviously cannot eat ONE ingredient for a whole week then add another, like you know, eat rice all week for breakfast, dinner and so on.

You obviously need to start with many ingredients, but when almost anything make you feel bad then you cannot know so much where to start. Now this gets even more complicated when food you had NO ISSUE before start to become a problem, I had found a recipe i liked A LOT, sweet potatoes with rice chicken and lettuce, with cumin seed and olive oil, was amazing, had it for 3 weeks and then starting getting problems, I think it is literally the sweet potatoes i can't digest, so I had to cut that entirely.

Now I eat fruits, gluten free cereal,bread, rice noodles, all the empty calories people suggested I quit and I actually feel a lot better, not much cramps, still bloated and constipated but cramps are not as bad, I was also able to reintroduce oat and it feels good when i eat it, and I eat pancakes too, pretty much eat a ton of carbs and sugar and it digest much better then veggies and meat/chicken, yeh ironically eating a diet of 90% carbs just seem to give me more energy then a well balanced diet of protein,carb and healthy food, go figure.

And my you, I still feel like uber s$#&, but it's not as bad as before.

CR5442 Contributor

I get you... but you need to rotate foods.  The problem with our diets these days is that we eat like everything is available naturally all of the time... which of course in the paleo/neolithic times they weren't.  Clean means anything that you can eat without technically preparing  - or processing.  So veggies and meat and fish and fruit.  However, with our sensitive guts food is best eaten slightly prepared - i.e. with the addition of heat, which helps the initial digestive processes.  It is very simple and easy to follow.

Renegade Contributor

Are you implying im too retarded to cook? I was cooking my sweet potatoes, sorry I don't like to heat lettuce, so i had it raw and the rice was also well cooked and so was the chicken and the eggs and the meat...

CR5442 Contributor

Err, no.

answerseeker Enthusiast

I get you... but you need to rotate foods. The problem with our diets these days is that we eat like everything is available naturally all of the time... which of course in the paleo/neolithic times they weren't. Clean means anything that you can eat without technically preparing - or processing. So veggies and meat and fish and fruit. However, with our sensitive guts food is best eaten slightly prepared - i.e. with the addition of heat, which helps the initial digestive processes. It is very simple and easy to follow.

No reply or advice is going to satisfy him. We've all tried and are thanked by rude comments. I wouldn't bother anymore seriously.

Adalaide Mentor

Are you implying im too retarded to cook? I was cooking my sweet potatoes, sorry I don't like to heat lettuce, so i had it raw and the rice was also well cooked and so was the chicken and the eggs and the meat...

No matter what anyone says to help you automatically come back with some assumption that everyone is trying to insult you. If that isn't the definition of high-strung anxiety nothing is.  I frankly don't care at this point. I'm done trying to help too. I'm all out of s$#&s to give about someone who only thinks everyone on this forum is attacking them in one form or another.

Renegade Contributor

No matter what anyone says to help you automatically come back with some assumption that everyone is trying to insult you. If that isn't the definition of high-strung anxiety nothing is.  I frankly don't care at this point. I'm done trying to help too. I'm all out of s$#&s to give about someone who only thinks everyone on this forum is attacking them in one form or another.

Because people have been implying my symptoms are likely to be caused by anxiety most specifically, my breathing issue and that this might have never really occurred, that maybe it was nothing dangerous. I did mention several times how I did get anxiety attack before and I never hided the fact that stress was involved but that in no way was I having a panic attack when I had difficulty breathing but some people didn't bother to take this into account, it seem nothing I say is actually being heard, people seem to assume I am just doing thing my own way and not follow anyone advice. So when someone say that it is very easy to cook, I tend to consider the idea that this is one more of those case where the person believe that it might never occurred to me to even bothered trying to cook and eat a healthy diet, when I had been doing exactly this already for a while.

So yes at this very point in might sure to mention that no I don't just sit there and imagine it and that I've actually been following the advices of people and been cutting stuff and tried things out, I didn't just go my own way and not listen and

mommy2krj Explorer

No, I think what is being implied now, is that you're being pigheaded and mean.

Noone and I mean, absolutely noone has implied that you're too retarded to cook. She was trying to explain the Paleo diet (look it up) and how most of their stuff is raw barely processed foods and that for someone still having severe issues with their Celiac that it can make it harder on you and therefore needs to be slightly processed by applying heat, as in cooking. Because, according to some (not all!) Paleo diet followers everything you eat should pretty much be the way you would find it in nature.

Everyone here has done nothing but try to help you and you have done nothing but be rude and inconsiderate in return. My 15 year old acts like that on occasion and when he does....I quit speaking/helping/doing anything for him until he apologizes and learns to be nice again.

Given the way you've been responding it just feels like everyone is feeding an internet troll. Which is too bad as this forum is a wonderful resource if you're having issues and want help. But I guess, from your behavior on here you don't. Maybe when you're done acting like a petulant child and have a better grip on things in your life you can come back on here and actually learn from some people that have dealt with this their entire lives.

answerseeker Enthusiast

"Given the way you've been responding it just feels like everyone is feeding an internet troll."

My thoughts exactly, seriously everyone needs to stop responding! It's frustrating when others post and get like 1 or 2 replies and this crap gets 38? Really?

mommy2krj Explorer

"Given the way you've been responding it just feels like everyone is feeding an internet troll."

My thoughts exactly, seriously everyone needs to stop responding! It's frustrating when others post and get like 1 or 2 replies and this crap gets 38? Really?

Yes this....off to see if there are other threads from people that I can help!

CR5442 Contributor

Thanks everyone.  Haven't been on here in a while and was starting to think it was me!  Paranoia I think we can safely add to the list.  See you on another thread soon.

deals88 Rookie

I dont know your diet because you didnt post it but just start fresh like enough of all these crazy reactions, i havnt read all that you cant have but this is my daily food every single day and its boring but i dont get sick and i can build from it and the gym:

Meal 1

5 egg whites, gluten free oats, peanut butter

Meal 2

200g brown rice 120g salmon

Meal 3

200g brown rice 150g chicken fillet

Meal 4

Protein shake gluten free ofc

Meal 5

150g chicken fillet

Extras

Almonds, 1 apple, gallons of water

If you get reactions of this the problem isnt food

Renegade Contributor

I dont know your diet because you didnt post it but just start fresh like enough of all these crazy reactions, i havnt read all that you cant have but this is my daily food every single day and its boring but i dont get sick and i can build from it and the gym:

Meal 1

5 egg whites, gluten free oats, peanut butter

Meal 2

200g brown rice 120g salmon

Meal 3

200g brown rice 150g chicken fillet

Meal 4

Protein shake gluten free ofc

Meal 5

150g chicken fillet

Extras

Almonds, 1 apple, gallons of water

If you get reactions of this the problem isnt food

That is actually very similar to what I eat

I eat eggs in the morning or gluten free oat

Gluten free bread, brown rice or rice noodles or gluten free pancake which is from rice starch

Then also I eat gluten free cereal.

I had chicken and beef before but I reacted,

deals88 Rookie

Gluten free bread, brown rice or rice noodles or gluten free pancake which is from rice starch

Do you just have have the egg white because those egg yolks were killing me. You have alot of the gluten free stuff dont lots of people have disagreements with that. I would recommend eating anything the cave men could eat as a rule for awhile, literally fruit veg, grains, potatos.

Reacted to chicken? Was it just plain chicken fillets no added anything. I reacted badly to a salmon i was having once and it was cause the factory made a sauce with it, crazy these small things

Renegade Contributor

Do you just have have the egg white because those egg yolks were killing me. You have a lot of the gluten free stuff dont lots of people have disagreements with that. I would recommend eating anything the cave men could eat as a rule for awhile, literally fruit veg, grains, potatoes.

Reacted to chicken? Was it just plain chicken fillets no added anything. I reacted badly to a salmon i was having once and it was cause the factory made a sauce with it, crazy these small things

Ya the whole egg of course, it should be ate as a whole, the yolk is not bad like people say it is, now if you only react to the yolk I find that strange. I react to nuts so I can't have peanut butter even though I had it all my life without problems. I use sunflower as a substitute, never going to beat the taste of peanut butter but it's an amazing substitute, I'm glad I was able to get that, (for now).

I don't know what it is making me sick anymore because I seem to react to anything, like I am just allergic to food period, it just happen that some food makes me react more violently then some. I'm just basically staying to what food hurt less atm, doesn't matter if it has rich vitamins or not because apparently I have high B12 and Iron level and no deficiency at all, the more I go the more I think this might not be gluten, but I am keeping myself to a gluten free diet until I fixed my problem and know for sure what is it has that's making me so ill, I had no official diagnostic, just a piece of paper and got sent on my way.

Now I need to wait till I get my 2 appointments next month for further diagnostic, free health care is nice but you still gotta wait a while.

deals88 Rookie

Ya the whole egg of course, it should be ate as a whole, the yolk is not bad like people say it is, now if you only react to the yolk I find that strange. I react to nuts so I can't have peanut butter even though I had it all my life without problems. I use sunflower as a substitute, never going to beat the taste of peanut butter but it's an amazing substitute, I'm glad I was able to get that, (for now).

I don't know what it is making me sick anymore because I seem to react to anything, like I am just allergic to food period, it just happen that some food makes me react more violently then some. I'm just basically staying to what food hurt less atm, doesn't matter if it has rich vitamins or not because apparently I have high B12 and Iron level and no deficiency at all, the more I go the more I think this might not be gluten, but I am keeping myself to a gluten free diet until I fixed my problem and know for sure what is it has that's making me so ill, I had no official diagnostic, just a piece of paper and got sent on my way.

Now I need to wait till I get my 2 appointments next month for further diagnostic, free health care is nice but you still gotta wait a while.

WIerd isnt it but your body is telling you it doesnt want it so just listen to it. I would for sure be eating some whole eggs if they didnt cause a reaction but not now as im cutting :)

Mnn maybe when your immnune system gets back to normal you could retry some things like peanut butter at very small quanitys of course. I know its not cool i was very ill for 18 months before i solved the situation myself after seeing lots of doctors every couple weeks, they really dont look close enough at allergy and auto immune dieases.

You may have already stated this but are you ensuring no cross-contamation? I have all my own plates pans cups etc and my flatmate would never even move any of my stuff, i use like 20 sponges a week soon as it touchs a counter its binned they def seems crazy to others but it keeps you healthy and this is easily my healthiest ever.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Drop the oats. Many of us react to even gluten free oats. Drop them for a month or so and see if things improve.

Archived