This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Think I Found The Glutening Source......

sleer

sleer Contributor

So, I had been feeling really crummy for a few weeks and could not identify a source of gluten.  I thought maybe cross-contamination but if that was the case it would have to be persistent because my symptoms were not getting better.  I went so far as to inquire about the vodka used for a vodka sauce I had twice during my reaction period.  Then today for lunch I went to a place I frequent with an excellent gluten free menu.  They even bring out special "gluten free" chips to serve while the rest of the table has bread.  Only this time the waitress was informed enough to let me know that they do not use a dedicated fryer for the chips and so if I'm highly sensative I may want to beware.  I think this may have been the cause?  I've eaten there several times and eaten the chips without thinking to ask about the fryer.  Needless to say, I did not partake in the chips this time around. 

I think sometimes it just feels good to come up with a potential source of the problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Yes, that would be the reason.

Gemini Experienced

Another problem might be how many times do you eat out?  If you eat out on a regular basis, then you could be cc'ing yourself repeatedly from many sources, especially if the restaurants are not higher end.  Trained chefs are educated in cc issues and line cooks at most restaurants usually have no chef training.  But as a Celiac, eating out any more than once a month puts you at high risk for getting sick or taking many small hits.  It sounds like you may be fairly new to this as you did not inquire about the fryer.  It usually takes quite a while to learn how to eat out successfully but you still have to keep it to a minimum, as far as how many times you do go out.  It's rare to find a dedciated fryer so always assume, unless it is advertised loudly, that it is not.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

If the restaurant you've been going to has a gluten-free menu, you should really talk to the manager/owner and suggest they label the chips and other deep-fried items that they are not cooked in a dedicated fryer. If you see an item listed on a gluten-free menu, you assume it's actually gluten-free! You don't want other people making the same mistake.

I'm lucky to have a place in my neighbourhood that does gluten-free fish and chips in a dedicated fryer, and all the fries are done separately from the regular fish. It's pretty sweet. (I limit myself to a few visits a year, because even if it's safe, it is deep fried...)

w8in4dave Community Regular

I was going to a restaurant that I thought the chips were on the Gluten free menu and sadly I was wrong also!! Why Corn chips are not just Corn chips id beyond me. But when I suspected it was the chips , I asked for a gluten free menu and they gave me one to take home. The corn chips were NOT on the menu .. So yea I had a awakening also. Glad it isn't just me! :) 

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Yeah, I usually ask if the tortilla (corn) chips are just corn, cause sometimes they're not. Also, if the restaurant makes their own, they might be fried in the same oil as gluten.

I've had an "it's not on the gluten-free menu but we're pretty sure it's gluten-free" situation before. One of the only times I've had to send something back to the kitchen. They had a nice gluten-free menu, but lots of dairy. For some reason i read their special as being "quinoa", and even checked with the kitchen who said it was gluten-free. When it came, it was couscous. Umm... couscous is NOT gluten-free. It was both our faults since I read me menu wrong like a idiot, but they should have known it wasn't gluten-free (they gave me some like about it being some special gluten-free couscous, but I wasn't buying that). I was there with a big group, so it was incredibly awkward. They were apologetic and brought me something else but man, not fun.

So yeah. Always check. Always. (I repeat this to remind myself to follow my own advice).

I love those store bought rotisserie chickens. They have :) Love them!! Have not had one since going Gluten free. Well I was going to a friends and bought one for lunch and lo and behold I looked and sure enuf Malt Flour ... What the heck? Not sure if Malt Flour is gluten free or not but I didn't eat it ... I had corn chips and black refried beans instead pfftttt 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I love those store bought rotisserie chickens. They have :) Love them!! Have not had one since going Gluten free. Well I was going to a friends and bought one for lunch and lo and behold I looked and sure enuf Malt Flour ... What the heck? Not sure if Malt Flour is gluten free or not but I didn't eat it ... I had corn chips and black refried beans instead pfftttt 

I think malt flour would be barley malt and I would stay away from it.

Not sure why they put malt flour on a chicken - wouldn't be my first thought if I was making a rotisserie chicken - Lets' see.....how should I season these lovely chickens?  garlic?  rosemary? parsley?  salt and pepper?  Hey, lets use up this malt flour!

Open Original Shared Link

I just looked it up and on  "Living Strong" said They will use it to brown, and make it shinier. Well to me they made it not edible... My friend said just take the skin off and eat it. Lol I said no thank you :) I will feed it to my dog 1st lol.

kareng Grand Master

I just looked it up and on  "Living Strong" said They will use it to brown, and make it shinier. Well to me they made it not edible... My friend said just take the skin off and eat it. Lol I said no thank you :) I will feed it to my dog 1st lol.

I know there are a lot that are gluten-free.  People say the Costco ones are.  I don't remember if the Walmart/Sam's Clubs are.

I will have to look into that. Wonder if Krogers are? I bought that one at Food town. Well I have a rotisserie! From now on maby I should just do my own :) lol 

Archived