Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dani08

Cascadian Farms Granola Bars--gluten-free?

Hi all!

We are new to this gluten-free game, and I'm excited to have found this forum.  My family is doing an elimination trial for one month to see if my kid's tummy issues improve.  I read that Cascadian Farms labels their products with allergen information if there is any risk of cross contamination, and their granola bars don't have any warnings.  However, I know that oats can be a gray area.  Anyone know if the bars are considered gluten-free?  I purchased the chocolate chip.  Thanks!!!

Oats cannot be considered gluten-free unless they say they are. This rule doesn't apply to other foods, just oats. Regular oats usually have wheat in them.

You do realize that you can't be tested for Celiac disease if you are not eating gluten?

Oats cannot be considered gluten-free unless they say they are. This rule doesn't apply to other foods, just oats. Regular oats usually have wheat in them.

You do realize that you can't be tested for Celiac disease if you are not eating gluten?

Thank you, kareng.  No more granola bars. :(

Yes, I do realize that Celiac testing cannot be done without the gluten.  However, my kiddos are very young (15 months and just turned 3), and at this point in time, I am not willing to put them through the biopsy process (especially since it seems so unreliable in kids that young).  So, after talking with the pediatrician, we decided to just eliminate to see what happens and go from there.  I figure if going gluten-free is the only treatment for Celiac anyhow, at this point in time, the diagnosis does not seem crucial to me.  But maybe I'm naive?  Feel free to correct my thinking! :)