• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

lorka150

Vegetarians Out There...

Rate this topic

One of the types of food I miss are the 'fake' meats and 'fake deli stuff' and all that... I used to always eat Yves stuff.

Most of it has gluten in it... I know that some Lightlife products are okay, but does anyone know any others?

Thanks!

Lorka

My granddaughter is celiac and a vegetarian and I know what you mean.

Most vegeterian foods contain gluten. One product that she has used and really likes is called Quorn turkey roast. Most healthfood stores carry it. She bakes it and then slices thinly with BBQ sauce. But I'm sure there would be a variety of ways you could fix it

Also, there is a brand called Ians that makes a gluten free fish stick if you eat fish.

She has just purchased some gluten free texturized vegetable protien (Bobs Red Mill) and is going to try reconstituting it for chili, tacos and pizza.

While its not meat, this a really good and fast favorite with only 3 products. Cook some Tinkyada fettuchini to ala dente and drain. Heat a jar of Ragu Alfredo Sauce (not in the jar). Thaw a bag of frozen California Blend veggies (carrots, brocolli, cauliflower) and pulse or chop into very small piees. Toss all together and micorowave just until heated through..salt and pepper to taste. And Walla! You have a delicious vegetable alfredo fettuchinni.

Also, if you like mushrooms, you can make a mushroom pizza with Ragu 100% Natural Pizza Sauce, top with gluten free cheese and add a little chopped green pepper if you like.

She also likes breaded baby scallops deep fried, Just coat in an egg/milk bath and toss with Southern HomeStyle Corn Flake Crums (which are gluten free and available in most supermarkets) and then deep fry just until golden brown.

Gluten free vegetarian is pretty difficult..hope this gives you some ideas.

Good Luck

Kay

I found some vegan and gluten-free burgers. I didn't like them but I didn't eat much of vegetarian burgers before being gluten-free. I am sure lots of people would like them. They aren't awful but rather not my taste.

Organic Sunshine Burger.

Not to sound mean but one can't be a vegetarian and eat animals. If either of you know anymore good tips please share. I am always looking for new recipes and such.

I don't need recipes (thanks anyway though) because I am extremely well equipped in my baking and cooking abilities.

I just was wondering if people found alternatives. Not veg burgers - I make my own - just the deli stuff.

Organic Sunshine Burger'a are awesome, but not in the morninstar farms /boca burger style...they are more like a vegetable (falafel like) burger. A long time ago I contacted the company and asked if they were gluten free. The owner confirmed they were. I told him he may want to state that on the packaging, because gluten-free Vegetarians/Vegans are the toughest population to find foods for! I am glad he went ahead and did just that!

Franklin farms have yummy burgers in the morninstar farms /boca burger style.

Tofu Pups by lightlife are gluten-free, but I tend not to trust the company that discontinued Foney Baloney...the only vegetarian gluten-free bologney on the market. I am waiting for them to pull the rug out and take the only gluten-free hotdog off the vegetarian market! They also went ahead and discontinued the Italian sausage that was gluten-free. They now make it different!

Also many sites will STILL list lightlife's hicken strips as gluten free, but they are no longer gluten-free...they went ahead and added malt flavoring for no reason. They were the best in a chicken style stir fry! I wrote and asked why? No one will ever tell you wow that is so much better now.

In this day and age with more awareness, and more and more populations other than Celiacs turning to gluten-free you would think they would have left their gluten-free products alone.

Melissa's (carried at walmart super centers) makes a vegetarian chorizo. I spoke to a women who said it was gluten-free, but cannot confirm if any of the seasoning (they obtain from other companies) would cross contaminate. I am dying to try.

I wish I can give you more hope. I was a vegetarian that became devastated and felt very betrayed by the need for this diet! It's not like I can just start to eat meat! Mostly there is tofu and TVP. I am craving gimme lean meatballs and loaf. Veggie bacun, peperoni and all that meatless stuff. I still find cool meatless products...but they are all in Canada or Australia. They are way ahead of us with this! :(

Love & Light,

Tee