Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dani08

Gluten Withdrawal In Children?

I hope it's ok that I post this here.  My kids (15 months and 3) do not have diagnosed Celiac Disease, but our family is doing a gluten-free trial.  We just started Saturday.  My daughter (3 year old) had insane behavior issues yesterday.  She was completely intolerable to be around.  She slept terribly last night and would just scream at us and thrash around if we tried to comfort her.  Could this be related to the gluten elimination?  Just curious if anyone else experienced anything similar.  

As an almost 40 year old, I had horrible moodiness, crankiness and fatigue in the first couple of weeks. I also had an impressive headache that didn't help. It does sound like withdrawal to me. Hopefully she'll move through it fairly quickly. Hang in there.

My daughter (who has celiac) had a really rough five days or so after going gluten-free. It was a little hard to tell what was caused by what, though, because she's sensitive to medications and had also just had anesthesia for her biopsy, so she was also getting that out of her system at the same time. She had very rapid improvement pretty suddenly after that, starting around the sixth day. She's four.

I also awful gluten withdrawal for weeks, including a constant headache, irritability, and weird vision changes. My celiac tests were negative, though the gluten challenge messed me up something mighty and we're still trying to figure out what's going on. Anyhow, it sure does seem like withdrawal can cause all sorts of unpleasant symptoms. It's so worth it if you start feeling better once you get through it, though! Good luck.

I'm curious how long "withdrawal" symptoms can last....does anyone know?

Also, do they sometimes recur if you get glutened? I see all kinds of behavior in my daughter, and it's tough to figure it out. (She's almost 12.)