Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jhol

Ive Developed A Lovely "light Golden Tan" To My Skin. Whats Happening?

hi 

thanks for answering. do you know what foods triggered your rash? are certain foods a trigger or is it different foods for different people? i think tomato,s and chocolate affect me especially my eyes - they go really bloodshot. 

im not happy about taking medication because i was thinking of trying an elimination diet an im not sure if it will affect it.

Here are my triggers:  red wine, garlic, dairy, nuts.  Sounds like you know some of yours.  My face breakout would always occur within 12 hours.  I used to take Alpha Lipoic Acid (supplement) and my doctor prescribed it in a cream form that came from a pharmacy in Colorado.  

Seriously, the antibiotics can help a bit, but you can't take them forever without serious side effects.  It's like getting an IBS diagnosis and getting medicated for "spasms"  when you really have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance!  

I wanted to add a comment about the skin coloration,,,

Iron overload can cause the skin to bronze, or sometimes turn grayish or yellow. The eyes could show this as well.

Males and post menopausal females need to monitor iron levels, since the only way to rid yourself of excess iron is by bloodletting or chelation. It may not be too difficult to ingest too much iron, especially since fortification of foods has been going on for a long time and care must also be taken when using supplements.

If you donate blood regularly (I think it's every 8 weeks per Red Cross guidelines) you would be safe from iron overload. Before your donation, they will test your iron stores via hemoglobin. If its high, they might tell you what it is, so that you can follow up with a doctor and get a full iron panel. It's easy enough to just look at the readout on the HemoCue unit that they use.

Some people have a genetic marker for hemochromatosis. Others just ingest too much iron, use cast iron pans too much and take too much via their supplements.