• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

dfish

Trying To Make Sense Of It All

Rate this topic

I am needing some help figuring out all of my test results and am hoping that someone can help. Here is what has been determined so far:

Antiendomysial antibodies: negative

IgG: positive

IgA: negative

Enterlab: Slightly positive to gluten, no intestinal damage, no celiac gene (other "gluten sensitive markers")

IgE skin prick tests: positive for allergy to wheat

So, it's obvious that wheat is a problem for me, and that is fine, but I'm wondering if "gluten" is a problem for me. From what I've read, even on this site itself in the research articles area, antiendomysial antibodies are very conclusive for celiac disease, so since mine were negative, I don't have celiac disease. The articles also say that the positive IgG could be something else too because it is a less specific test. Everything I have read on the web about the gene testing says that it is "impossible" for someone without the gene to develop full blown celiac disease even with sensitivity. So, I understand that I am allergic to wheat and need to avoid it, but I guess I am wondering if I have to avoid "gluten" the same as I would avoid wheat. Due to a tremendous amount of other food allergies I have discovered, it would be nice if I could eat simply "wheat free" instead of gluten free. Help?

Thanks!

Everything I have read on the web about the gene testing says that it is "impossible" for someone without the gene to develop full blown celiac disease even with sensitivity.  So, I understand that I am allergic to wheat and need to avoid it, but I guess I am wondering if I have to avoid "gluten" the same as I would avoid wheat.  Due to a tremendous amount of other food allergies I have discovered, it would be nice if I could eat simply "wheat free" instead of gluten free.  Help?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the thing about "can't get celiac without the gene" - they haven't identified all the genes. As I recall, studies suggest about 2% of biopsy-confirmed cases of celiac occur in people who do not have any of the known celiac-inducing genes. So, it's likely true that you can't get celiac without any of the genes that cause it, but not all the genes that cause it are known, so you can't actually know if you absolutely don't have any of the genes that cause it. (Well, to be more accurate, I should be saying alleles or genes - there are multiple alleles of the same gene that appear to cause the problem.)

That aside, I had similar test results - inconclusive. I think in a situation like that, yoiu have a couple options - you can eat enough gluten for three months and get a biopsy, you can listen to how your body responds to items in a dietary challenge, and you can just go with the wheat allergy. Given the insidious nature of the symptoms, I think it's worth to do the dietary challenge. By that, I mean that you eat gluten free for at least two weeks. See if you notice any change. Then, regardless of whether you see *any* change or not, you eat gluten (not wheat in this case, of course, but either pure rye bread or some barley - don't do oats for the first test) for at least a day or two. See if you notice any change. Then repeat, this time, checking oats. (I suggest them separately due to contamination issues and that some celiacs seem to tolerate pure oats.)

Of coure, doing that means you have to be confident of understanding your own body, and willing to go with what you see. But it is a valid test, assuming you reasonably control your intake those weeks. (Ideally, you'd make what you eat while having gluten identical to what you had the week before without it, just with gluten containing ingredients in place of items made to be gluten-free substitutions, so that you're not introducing something terribly different that you react to independently of gluten.)

It would be helpful if you could have an allergy test for barley, rye and oats as well. I agree that while wheat free is probably what you need, you will likely find that means pretty much gluten free because of the mixed grains in so many things. Most breads, for instance, even rye and stuff, also have regular wheat flour in them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• June 19, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.

• July 08, 2019 Until July 09, 2019
      14th Euro-Global Gastroenterology Conference happening in Zürich, Switzerland during July 08-09, 2019. We are expecting more than 300 attendees representing from more than 40 countries who would be sharing their experiences and expertise around the world Theme: “Future Perspectives and shaping trends in Gastroenterology”
      You may learn more about our congress by visiting our website: https://europegastroenterology.gastroconferences.com/
      Tracks
      Microbiota and diseases|Acid Related Diseases|Helicobacter Pylori Treatment|Therapeutics targeting Microbioma|Advanced Nutrition and Dietetics in Gastroenterology|Inflammatory Bowel Diseases|Clinical Advances in Liver Diseases|Gastrointestinal Disorders and Drug Delivery|Obesity and Treatments|Gastrointestinal Pathology|Neuro Gastroenterology and Motility disorders|Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition|Gallbladder and biliary tract Diseases|Latest advances in Gastroenterology treatments|Endoscopic Innovations in Gastroenterology and surgery|Clinical and Radiographic Gastrointestinal Abnormalities|Functional GI Disorders|Changing Trends in Etiology of Liver diseases|Epigenetics of gastrointestinal diseases|Bariatric Surgery|Gastrointestinal Radiology and Imaging|Developing treatment for Viral Hepatitis and Fibrosis of Liver|Emerging Trends in Clinical Research of Liver diseases|Hepatitis B treatment Patterns|Therapies in Pancreatic cancer|Diabetes and hepatocellular carcinoma|Intestinal Metaproteomics and Type 1 Diabetes
      Conference Benefits
      ·         CME Credits  
      ·         CPD Credits
      ·         Research publication in proceeding book
      ·         Abstract publication in associated online journal
      ·         DOI by Cross-Ref
      ·         Online speaker webpage
      ·         Workshops and Symposium
      ·         Certificate for participation and attendance
      ·         Young Researchers Forum and Posters Award for Students
      ·         B2b and Networking meetings

Program Director
      Sophia Williams
      Gastroenterology 2019 | Zürich | Switzerland
      conferenceseries.com https://europegastroenterology.gastroconferences.com/
      E-mail: williams.sophiaa@yandex.com
      Whatsapp us : +442382146717