This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Keep Getting So Bloated, Dairy?

megsybeth

megsybeth Enthusiast

I'm about ten months post-dx and gluten free and lately I keep getting sooooo bloated. It looks and feels like I gained fifteen pounds but I barely eat. Right now I'm so bloated my back hurts. I'm going to eliminate dairy to see if it helps but I thought lactose intolerance was usually early in the recovery, not later. Levels in blood work being tested tomorrow but they've been going down.

I know I should do a really restricted, mild diet and add in foods one at a time but honestly don't know if I have the time or discipline to do it right now becuse life is so crazy. Any advice for a way to get on top of this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

w8in4dave Community Regular

It may be the dairy. 

GF Lover Rising Star

How long has the bloating been going on for?  A dairy intolerance usually shows up earlier but is not unheard of.

You should check if you have added anything new to your diet.  If not, than maybe an elimination diet would benefit you.  You might also look into parasites.  

Colleen 

Pegleg84 Collaborator

It's always possible. I don't know when my problems with dairy first developed (was likely in denial for a while), but I didn't go dairy free until 2 years after going gluten-free.

You could go dairy free (completely) for a few weeks to see if it helps, then try some again and see if you react. It could be something else though. Also, it's not a bad idea to do a check through your cupboards to make sure you aren't getting cross contamination from anywhere.

Also, try digestive enzymes. I found my bloating when down a lot after I started taking them regularly. They will give your gut some extra help.

Awweee Pegleg84 :) Huggzz to you!! I am with ya on that!! feel your pain! 

surviormom Rookie

Bloated now myself and I have no idea why, have gone through the foods I have eaten in the past 2 weeks and nothing sticks out as a danger, I have even re-read labels to make sure.  All I can come up with is, too much sugar??  I made desserts for the kids several nights, and yes, I indulged each night too.  It was a bribe, but it was there so why not...  Back to the basics for me again.

I still get bloated but i think I blame it on eating beans ... I tend to eat alot of beans for fiber and protein , when I 1st started I was bloated and in pain. I think my body is adjusting to my new diet. Thank goodness...... Unless I eat boxed or canned stuff. I try to stay away from that stuff but sometimes I just cannot. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Beans will do it. Even green beans will do it if you eat enough of them (as I found out on my "yay fresh green beans from the market" binge this summer. "why am I so bloaty... oh right. beans are still beans"

Sometimes bloating just happens. Again, I find that digestive enzymes help.

And I'm doing much better without dairy or soy, thanks.

NateJ Contributor

will sugar do that to you?

i'm at a loss too with this. Major bloating after anything i eat. doesn't matter what it is.

I look like a ihave a basketball in my gut.

Salax Contributor

I find dairy will do that but for me potatoes do to. And corn gives me pain and some minor bloating. I would try to elminate all grains and dairy to see what it might be.

I have become a Paleo girl living in a paleo world....er not exactly....but yea....  :P 

surviormom Rookie

will sugar do that to you?

i'm at a loss too with this. Major bloating after anything i eat. doesn't matter what it is.

I look like a ihave a basketball in my gut.

That is how I felt, only I called it pregnant again...I think so..it lasted about a week and half and it is working its way down.  With a lot of bathroom issues to go with it.  I feel like its another case of bacteria overgrowth, except I have been taking my probiotics on a regular basis, so I am not sure how bad bacteria could have taken over.  That is why I blamed the sugar.

NateJ Contributor

That is how I felt, only I called it pregnant again...I think so..it lasted about a week and half and it is working its way down.  With a lot of bathroom issues to go with it.  I feel like its another case of bacteria overgrowth, except I have been taking my probiotics on a regular basis, so I am not sure how bad bacteria could have taken over.  That is why I blamed the sugar.

mine has lasted about 6 months. some days worse than others. I've tried elimination, FODMAPS, and some other paleo type stuff. But never thought about sugar. I use a lot in my coffee every day. I just feel run down, lathargic, and bloated all day. Usually cramps also. I've been lucky with the 'D' it doesn't hit me very often. I'm wondering now if i should try giving up the coffee and sugar.

surviormom Rookie

mine has lasted about 6 months. some days worse than others. I've tried elimination, FODMAPS, and some other paleo type stuff. But never thought about sugar. I use a lot in my coffee every day. I just feel run down, lathargic, and bloated all day. Usually cramps also. I've been lucky with the 'D' it doesn't hit me very often. I'm wondering now if i should try giving up the coffee and sugar.

Not a doctor and relatively new to all of this (a year plus in healing, with mistakes), but I would say yes, toss out the coffee and sugar.  I did.  Back to the basics for me, is broth, lots of water, and green tea with a little honey.  It is fixin' me back up fairly quick, and it gives me a chance to start again, adding foods slowly and it allows me to know what is ok and what is not.  I plan to give coffee a chance again once I am back to normal.  But I tossed sugar out of my coffee months ago, honey is a good replacement.

anti-soprano Apprentice

I'm a little over a year gluten-free. A few months ago,I realized that too much dairy has the opposite gastro side effect of gluten (gluten = C, too much dairy = D). But I have to have a lot of the right kinds of dairy to get to that point. Unfortunately hot cocoa with straight milk is out. Also just figured out that a lot of corn makes me terribly bloated. I made some gluten free corn bread and voila! That was very clear. Beans can also cause problems. All of these foods mentioned are hard to digest, hence the issue for healing guts. You can try my method of eating quite a bit of the food you wonder about. It's worked for me, anyways. It was clearer than eliminating things, frankly. The downside is of course the resulting basketball, general discomfort, and possible C or D. Also, some people have other negative effects with other foods. Good luck!!

NateJ Contributor

Not a doctor and relatively new to all of this (a year plus in healing, with mistakes), but I would say yes, toss out the coffee and sugar.  I did.  Back to the basics for me, is broth, lots of water, and green tea with a little honey.  It is fixin' me back up fairly quick, and it gives me a chance to start again, adding foods slowly and it allows me to know what is ok and what is not.  I plan to give coffee a chance again once I am back to normal.  But I tossed sugar out of my coffee months ago, honey is a good replacement.

Honey. i would have never though of that. I will give that a try. I can deal with the bloating. its uncomfortable, but its the cramps that get me. They are debilitating and often leave me laying in bed wasting a good day away. Just wish i could find the trigger.

Well i have scopes on Monday so that should be a party.

Archived