This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gastritis And Cd?

Tangerine

Tangerine Rookie

I was diganosed with celiac disease in mid May of this year. It was a postivie blood test, but no biopsie. I got totally better on a gluten free diet, but then in Late July, I started to Have symptoms again... So I had more blood work done, and my anitbodies were better, but still high. I just recently had an endoscopic exam and there was no villi damage. i figured it would show that since i have been gluten free for about 5 months, but My stomach was inflamed. The dodctor said I have Gastritis. Are celiac disease and Gastrits related at all? Has anyone else had a similar situation. Since late July i thought I was eating gluten somehow by accident, but I guess that's not the case. I just have stomach infamation... I'm so confused!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I was diganosed with celiac disease in mid May of this year. It was a postivie blood test, but no biopsie. I got totally better on a gluten free diet, but then in Late July, I started to Have symptoms again... So I had more blood work done, and my anitbodies were better, but still high. I just recently had an endoscopic exam and there was no villi damage. i figured it would show that since i have been gluten free for about 5 months, but My stomach was inflamed. The dodctor said I have Gastritis. Are celiac disease and Gastrits related at all? Has anyone else had a similar situation. Since late July i thought I was eating gluten somehow by accident, but I guess that's not the case. I just have stomach infamation... I'm so confused!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tangerine:

I, too, have gastritis as well as celiac disease. I don't know if there is a connection between the two. I take Prilosic (it is gluten-free) :rolleyes: in the morning and one before bed and that seems to help alot. Hope you feel better soon

Lisa B.

debmidge Rising Star

My husband has had misdiagnosed celiac disease (27 years) and a yr after he was finally correctly diagnosed he had endoscopy w/biopsy and Dr. found:

1) ucler almost healed and attributed to celiac

2) gastritis attributed to celiac

3) esophogitis attributed to celiac

4) hiatal hernia - unsure if related to celiac, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were

Unfortunately my husband waited about 9 mos after going gluten-free to get endoscopy and I am sure items 1-3 would have been a lot worse if he agreed to do this test right away when diagnosed.

skoki-mom Explorer

I also showed gastritis on my endoscope. However, like my celiac disease, it gives me no problems or clinical symptoms. I didn't really ask about it, I guess I am just thinking it will also get better on my gluten-free diet. I have read that gastritis and celiac disease commonly go together.

rmmadden Contributor

Add me to the list of celiac disease & Gastritis people. I have been gluten-free for 10-months and still have unexplained issues with food that I know is gluten-free. Between trying to figure out other possible allergies, being gluten-free and having gastritis it has been very frustrating.

Best of luck to you,

Cleveland Bob B)

Tangerine Rookie

Phewww... this makes me feel a little better. Too bad this doctor that did the endoscopy doesn't think I have celiac disease. I had a different doctor diagnose me with celiac disease before I moved. It is REALLY frustertating being tolled you are wrong, when in fact I got much better for two months before I was having pain again.

My new doctor still thinks the old method of biopsie is the ONLY way to diagnose celiac disease. I tryed to explain to his nurse why it makes sense that I thought was having problems with hidden gluten... when really my celiac disease is getting much better, but my tummy is inflamed. It makes sense to me beacuse they 1. Connect to eachother, 2. both celiac disease and Gastritis cause inflamation. So it makes sense that they have a similar discomfort for me and in the same area.

I hope this is all figured out soon. I have lived l;ike this for almost a year now. I know that is not long compared to many people, but with modern methods, and the wealth of info out there, you would think doctors would be better informed.

nettiebeads Apprentice
I hope this is all figured out soon. I have lived l;ike this for almost a year now. I know that is not long compared to many people, but with modern methods, and the wealth of info out there, you would think doctors would be better informed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you on this one - I mean, look at how much we lay people have learned from each other! I can see how celiac disease and gastritis would go together. I've had an ulcer (pain meds for a completely unrelated problem that wasn't properly addressed by drs) before I developed celiac disease. But prilosec did the trick. You could adopt the diet for gastritis and see if that helps - stay away from caffeine, chocolate, and I forget what else. My ulcer was 10 yrs ago and I still can't have some things - fruit juices of ANY kind, coffee more than three days in a row, grape jelly, and some other things. Hope your tummy is happy again soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bklyn Enthusiast
I agree with you on this one - I mean, look at how much we lay people have learned from each other!  I can see how celiac disease and gastritis would go together.  I've had an ulcer (pain meds for a completely unrelated problem that wasn't properly addressed by drs) before I developed celiac disease.  But prilosec did the trick.  You could adopt the diet for gastritis and see if that helps - stay away from caffeine, chocolate, and I forget what else.  My ulcer was 10 yrs ago and I still can't have some things - fruit juices of ANY kind, coffee more than three days in a row, grape jelly, and some other things.  Hope your tummy is happy again soon!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bklyn Enthusiast

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooops not sure what I did - it's been a while since I posted. I did not have stomach trouble until about 5 months after going gluten-free. Maybe this is a coincidence but suddenly I can't drink coffee, juices, spicy foods, without getting terrible burning pain and nausea. My Dr. doesn't think it is connected to celiac disease, but who knows. I take zantac 150 when necessary and stay away from the foods that hurt.

• 2 months later...
Candy Contributor

Hello

I have /had all sorts of gut pains.I thought it could be any number of things.I'm glad to be informed that we could possibly have gastritis alone or with celiac disease. I guess a full Gastrointestional exam would diagnose you,but I haven't the means right now. Thanks for enlightening!

DonnaD Apprentice

My daughters was scoped because of gastritis - she had terrible heartburn, gas,felt sick and a pain just below her belly button after eating. the scope showed her stomach was dotted with 'pre ulcerous' sore red spots and there was evidence of a duodenal? reflux. The biopsy was taken as these symptoms were consistant with 'early celiac disease' even though her bloods were negative because were are wheat free due to my IBS.Her consultant was actually quite good.

She had been on Zantac then Mups losec? because the zantac didn't help much, gaviscon and motillium after all meals.

within 2 days going gluten-free 90% of the symptoms have cleared up although she still is careful with some of the things ther consultant told her to avoid for the gastritis - fruit juice, vinegar, anything too fatty/oily and red (meat unless it is minced. )

Most of my family have gastric issues too when we eat gluten/wheat.

I Hope this is of some help.

Donna

lizzy Apprentice

hi all

i have had grastritis too for 2 years on and off on two of my endiscopy they found inflamed areas the second time worse than the first plus erosion in the esophigus . i take acifid once daily and it helps alot but if i have an accident it dosent take long for it to be inflammed and i suffer . i got into gluten in a restuarant i went to the other evening it was a meat carvery i asked which would be safe to eat and all there was was one choice of meat and the veg, but when i went to get some meat the chef carving used the same knife for which it used to carve the other meats i tryed to explain to him about contamination , he changed the knife but stuck the fork into the meat instead, i felt really frustrated and ate the small amount of meat he gave me only to have the rest of my evening ruined by being sick . which inturn flared up the grastritus. anyway i hope you feel better soon. ask your doc for some meds for your stomach they do relieve the symptoms faster than u trying to let it heal on its own .

jerseyangel Proficient

The Doctor found "gastritis in the antrium" during my Endo. I believe that meant that my inflamation is at the beginning of the small intestine. Anyway, he told me, that day, to begin the gluten-free, dairy free diet. I think that type must be connected to Celiac.

covsooze Enthusiast

It was having gastritis symptoms that landed me in hospital and led to the dr ordering an endoscopy (which I'm waiting for) and blood tests, which were positive for celiac disease. I've had acid trouble in the past, but the problems last year were the worse and caused by some pain meds. I wonder if it was the gastritis that triggered the flare up of celiac disease?

Archived