Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

DDubb

Bad Breath/taste After Going Gluten Free

Rate this topic

So I've been off gluten now for the last four months but recently (Past 2 weeks) I've been told by my wife that my breath is really bad, I also have a bad taste in my mouth at all times. Is this related to going gluten free??? Has anyone else had this problem post gluten?

Thanks much!

It doesn't sound gluten related.  A change in your diet (e.g. consuming lots of garlic)?  When was your last visit to the dentist  celiac disease patients can have issues with gum disease due to being malnourished.  I stepped up my visits to three times a year instead of two temporarily.  

It doesn't sound gluten related.  A change in your diet (e.g. consuming lots of garlic)?  When was your last visit to the dentist  celiac disease patients can have issues with gum disease due to being malnourished.  I stepped up my visits to three times a year instead of two temporarily.  

I have great oral hygeine, I'm a Dental Tech actually;) I don't like or eat garlic either so since this was a major change in my life I assumed it could be related.

Could it be related to your macronutrient levels?  Higher levels of fats and protein can cause ketosis in your cells, rather than cellular respiration which occurs in a carb heavy diet, and that can sometimes cause bad breath. Are you experiencing weight loss too? Burning fat (our own or from our diet) is the main cause of ketosis.

Just a thought...

Could it be related to your macronutrient levels?  Higher levels of fats and protein can cause ketosis in your cells, rather than cellular respiration which occurs in a carb heavy diet, and that can sometimes cause bad breath. Are you experiencing weight loss too? Burning fat (our own or from our diet) is the main cause of ketosis.

Just a thought...

Hi nvsmom, I've lost about 11 pounds since going gluten free so I guess that could be whats going on, is there any way to know for sure? I've always been an average weight male, never been obese, so I really don't want to lose too much more weight.

Hi nvsmom, I've lost about 11 pounds since going gluten free so I guess that could be whats going on, is there any way to know for sure? I've always been an average weight male, never been obese, so I really don't want to lose too much more weight.

I know there are "keto-sticks" that are sold in drug stores that could help. They are stick you (ahem) pee on and it lets you know if you are in ketosis. I've heard they are fairly expensive but it could be something to look into.

If you are losing weight, you'll have to increase your caloric intake. I lost weight when I went gluten-free too. I am pretty sure some of it was just inflammation, but some was from cutting carbs as I cut gluten out of my life. You may need to increase some foods like veggies and meats. Perhaps google foods that commonly cause bad breath and maybe something in your diet will catch your eye.

Good luck.