Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GracieOL

Gluten'd?

I accidentally used a marinade and glaze that had gluten - my bad, didn't read label since I thought I knew ingredients. WRONG.  First gluten since my diagnosis in April.  About 18 hours later, I had one glass of wine, felt SUPER strange, cloudy-headed, then ooh the GI issues - both ways, TMI.  I never felt so bad in my life. AWFUL.  Also big flare up of DH on my face and side.  Called my Dr. because I was really nervous.  He said that typically one gluten exposure wouldn't necessarily result in such a violent reaction.  That maybe it was food poisoning?  But I've had food poisoning and this was NOT that.  This felt stranger.  I felt a little dismissed and having come on this forum yesterday, it seems that others have had the same experience after being glutened.

Thoughts?

It's possible you had an allergic reaction to the sulfites in the wine. I get bad allergic reactions when i have any exposure to sulfur, avoid dried fruits unless they specify sulfur-free as they are laden with it.

No, that's definitely a glutening, though the wine would not have helped.

(though it is always possible that sulfates could be an issue, but only if you have/end up having issues with wine, dried fruit, etc, at times when you haven't just been glutened)

Reaction to gluten vary from person to person, and can take several hours or even a couple days to kick-in.

Always read the labels!

Hope you're feeling better soon