Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikki2777

Weirdly (And Dangerously) I Keep Forgetting....

It's strange - I guess I'm getting so used to being gluten free now (dx with Celiac in February) that a couple of times in the last few days, I've forgotten and almost eaten something I shouldn't.  

Never thought this would get so routine that it wasn't top of mind, but the other day my son didn't finish his sandwich and instead of wasting it, I said I'd finish it. 

He stared at me, and I said "what?".  

"Mom!  The bread."

I guess, in a weird way, this is a good sign, but I'm worried I'll eat something I shouldn't.  I posted the other day about forgetting and taking a piece of gum from a friend without checking it first.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I can understand, after struggling for so long, being able to finally let your guard down, but then doing it too much.  It is hard to find a balance between oops that had gluten and total gluten nazi. :)  The one time I almost messed up, I was at a dinner at a place that I could eat gluten-free, with my crazy old aunt.  She was insisting I put the leftover rolls in my doggy bag so they wouldn't go to waste, so I habitually did what she said and then I was like, "Oh crap I can't eat that now," so I gave the leftovers to my husband.  I have also gone somewhere that I could eat gluten-free and my husband was not, and reached over to sneak a taste of something on his plate when he was like "Uhhhhhhh" and stopped me.  I am very glad he has my back. :) So I would say training your family and friends to look out for you as well, is a really good idea.  Definitely reward your son for having your back!

NIkki, 

Scary eh?  This has happened to me twice and freaked me out.  Same scenario as you, once with my son and once with my Hubs.  The two times were relatively close together.  Like you, my son and Hubs looked at me and said "What?"

Has not happened to me since and I hope never again.  In the beginning of going gluten free I would catch myself all the time almost putting a noodle in my mouth to check for doneness. (My hubs and son are not gluten-free) That stopped after a few months but then the two biggies.  I do recall I was under additional stress and I think that may have contributed to my brain not kicking in at those moments.

All the best,

Colleen

I think that has happened to everyone.

Colleen, we used to do the 2 different pastas.  I would make my son "tend" the gluten pasta.  Then it just go to be too big of a hassle trying to keep the spoons separate, etc.  Now we just all eat the same pasta and no one minds.

Karen,

It got to be too much for me too.  All I make is gluten-free pasta now.  Son still makes his mac n cheese.  Hubs still makes his gluteny stuff but now I stay out of the kitchen if they are in there.  They came to realize that if I'm cooking it will be gluten free and they will like it.  Hehe.

They came to realize that if I'm cooking it will be gluten free and they will like it.  Hehe.

My guys don't care if its gluten-free as long as Mom buys it and fixes it.  One of their friends ate pasta with us a couple of times - simple jarred salsa & cheese baked on top.  He wanted to know how I made it so really good.

spaghetti.gif

I read the label when I buy and before I open the package because I got myself last winter. Blah.

It's my husband who keeps slipping up. I think it's because I handle all the food - shopping, cooking, cleaning. He was better at first when it was all new, now he forgets.  Just a couple of weeks ago he was going to let my 10 year old try to get a swallow out of the bottom of his beer bottle. Picture a mom lurching over the counter saying "Noooo!".... Picture it in slow motion.... take 20 lbs off me while you're at it.  ;)

I read the label when I buy and before I open the package because I got myself last winter. Blah.

It's my husband who keeps slipping up. I think it's because I handle all the food - shopping, cooking, cleaning. He was better at first when it was all new, now he forgets.  Just a couple of weeks ago he was going to let my 10 year old try to get a swallow out of the bottom of his beer bottle. Picture a mom lurching over the counter saying "Noooo!".... Picture it in slow motion.... take 20 lbs off me while you're at it.  ;)

lolz - nicole, too funny!  i'm glad it's only 'me' i have to worry about......  and even then!  i did that last thanksgiving, putting away leftovers and licking the (gluten-free but glutened with wheat crackers for the wheateaters) ladle for the crab dip.  just as i was in mid-lick, my daughter is yelling MOM!  NO!  i'm like o sh!t.......... 

well, at least i knew what hit me - i think it sucks worse when it's a mystery  <_<