This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Bloated And Getting Married Next Friday, Need Some Help!

vallene45

vallene45 Apprentice

Hello everyone, as i stated above, i am very bloated and distended, i can barely fit into my wedding dress because of it, is there such a thing as a quick way to get rid of the bloat in a few days? I am tearing my hair out with worry about this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flowerqueen Community Regular

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!  The only thing I would recommend is drinking plenty of water and limit your salt intake, also probiotics are useful for keeping your gut healthy.  You may want to limit carbohydrates too, but don't be too strict with yourself.  (Foods with yeast in can cause bloating.)   Water rids your body of toxins and some people are surprised to learn that it prevents fluid retention! 

Hopefully, others may have some tips for you on here as well.  Good luck for your wedding and enjoy your day!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Vallene,

You can try some of these ideas.  They may help.

Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods.
Avoid alcohol.
Watch out for cross contamination.

nvsmom Community Regular

Dandelion tea or supplements can help with water retention if that's a factor.

Nuts help me with bloating because they act as a bit of a laxative for me. Coconut cream/milk helps me with this too. For me, bloat can be linked to getting backed up bowels, which often comes with stress.  

I would avoid carbs, mainly starches of any sort. Eat higher protein and fat and it may help.

My advice from before I was diagnosed and I was bloated much of the time is to buy some really powerful underwear.  Think of a girdle with a million hook buttons that comes up to your rib cage. I had some "super underwear" that would take a couple of inches off my waist. I was walking around with my gut sucked in and that helped hold it in and smoothed out some bulges. You might want to bring your dress with you when shopping if it has a low back.

Best wishes! I hope it's a wonderful day for you.

IrishHeart Veteran

Ok, first...congrats!! and second, stop tearing your hair out and getting all crazy.  :)

I think you had a previous post about "not being thirsty"--was that you? if so, DRINK WATER!

really...stop  stressing. This is supposed to be the most fun time of your life. be happy!

so...what caused your bloating? is my first question.

You have given us no info at all. Did you get glutened? are you newly diagnosed? 

It would help if we knew the circumstances.

My best advice?

Drink water.

Take probiotics to straighten out your gut.

seriously....stop stressing. Not worth it.

Relax. Have fun. Best wishes.

vallene45 Apprentice

Ok, first...congrats!! and second, stop tearing your hair out and getting all crazy.  :)

I think you had a previous post about "not being thirsty"--was that you? if so, DRINK WATER!

really...stop  stressing. This is supposed to be the most fun time of your life. be happy!

so...what caused your bloating? is my first question.

You have given us no info at all. Did you get glutened? are you newly diagnosed? 

It would help if we knew the circumstances.

My best advice?

Drink water.

Take probiotics to straighten out your gut.

seriously....stop stressing. Not worth it.

Relax. Have fun. Best wishes.

ya. i was the not thirsty one, i don't know why i am bloated, i have only eaten foods that i have cooked myself, but i have been eating potatoes lately, maybe that is it.I do eat cheese, but you guys are probably right, i am not getting enough water, i am going to try dandelion tea, thanks for the good wishes.
flowerqueen Community Regular

ya. i was the not thirsty one, i don't know why i am bloated, i have only eaten foods that i have cooked myself, but i have been eating potatoes lately, maybe that is it.I do eat cheese, but you guys are probably right, i am not getting enough water, i am going to try dandelion tea, thanks for the good

Don't forget, even if you go down the Dandelion tea route, still drink plenty of water!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Friday is coming, I hope this is working out.  Otherwise you may need some quick seamstress help, or a wedding gown from a thrift store.

vallene45 Apprentice

well, this is kind of funny, but the tea had been working out very well, then i made some very plain gluten free trader joe's brand gluten-free corn pasta and now i am back to how i looked before i started drinking the tea, the pasta just had chopped tomatoes in it. i am so mad i could cry, i don't khow what to do now. I am tearing up as i am typing this right now. I just don.t get it.

cyclinglady Grand Master

So, it appears that you have an intolerance to either corn or nightshades (tomatoes, white potatoes, etc.)   Another idea is that you got some cc issues with Trader Joe's products.   It's Wednesday and unlike a gluten response, my intolerances/allergies usually go away within two days.  Let's hope it's the same for you.  Eat only whole foods for the next few days!  Nothing processed!  

Try following all of GFinDC's advice as well as the others who posted.  When someone has posted over 1,000 times, they usually are very knowledgeable!

vallene45 Apprentice

thanks, that is why i like it here.

IrishHeart Veteran

Is the corn pasta and tomatoes ALL you ate? if so, one of those is your culprit

But if you ate anything else today or even yesterday, it may be too difficult to track it down right now.

Forget trying to be detective on the food that is causing inflammation right now.

No offense to the tea idea, but seriously, the WATER is the basis for flushing out the bloat.

" Dandelion is also used to increase urine production and as a laxative to increase bowel movements"

water does the same thing. So just keep drinking it. If you like the tea, go ahead  en enjoy...but just drink water, any liquids so you can....PEE!

I really think you not drinking water for a while is a key factor. IMHO

You have to drink water to flush toxins and food through your system.

and to Cycling lady, I have to point out....there are many members who have over 1000 posts on here (and other websites)and they are not necessarily fountains of valuable information. Not always...sometimes,they just like to talk or say "I agree". or they may be constantly posting adversarial or bogus information.

Quantity--does not mean quality. just sayin. :D 

Logging many posts does not always indicate "knowledge". (consider all sources!!) but yes, in this case, G F in D C for example--is a reliable, compassionate, funny, loveable  and knowledgeable source. IMHO

vallene45 Apprentice

i have been drinking water i add the tea to 60 ounces of water each day and have been drinking that, and on top of that, i drink two 8 oz glasses of water after that, i have been trying really hard to get enough water. And yes the corn pasta with only chopped tomatoes was what i ate yesterday. Beleive me, i have been doing a lot of peeing.

IrishHeart Veteran

well, if you only ate corn pasta and toms, then one of those ingredients gives you bloat.

it should disappear by tomorrow. it's not life threatening and it's not permanent.

Get some sleep and stop worrying!!!!!!

I'd be less concerned about a little tummy bloat than dark circles and wrinkles from worrying so much.

hon....stop stressing. seriously. Have a blast!

Adalaide Mentor

Worst case scenario you can always pick up a pair of those up to your bra tummy slimmer undies. Or a girdle type thing. Yes, they still make those. I'm sure you have lots to do tomorrow, but if it gets you in your dress I'm sure you'll find time to shop. I'm not ashamed to say that at 2 months after giving birth my first wedding was in a girdle, they are not at all uncomfortable. I also happened to look fantabulous and no one would ever have guessed at what I was wearing under my dress.

vallene45 Apprentice

thanks all, i'm not usually such a stresser, but i just want to feel and look good for once, especially on my wedding day. I think i will definitely go out and buy one of those girdles, then it won't be an issue. Thanks again everyone.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Is the corn pasta and tomatoes ALL you ate? if so, one of those is your culprit

But if you ate anything else today or even yesterday, it may be too difficult to track it down right now.

Forget trying to be detective on the food that is causing inflammation right now.

No offense to the tea idea, but seriously, the WATER is the basis for flushing out the bloat.

" Dandelion is also used to increase urine production and as a laxative to increase bowel movements"

water does the same thing. So just keep drinking it. If you like the tea, go ahead  en enjoy...but just drink water, any liquids so you can....PEE!

I really think you not drinking water for a while is a key factor. IMHO

You have to drink water to flush toxins and food through your system.

and to Cycling lady, I have to point out....there are many members who have over 1000 posts on here (and other websites)and they are not necessarily fountains of valuable information. Not always...sometimes,they just like to talk or say "I agree". or they may be constantly posting adversarial or bogus information.

Quantity--does not mean quality. just sayin. :D 

Logging many posts does not always indicate "knowledge". (consider all sources!!) but yes, in this case, G F in D C for example--is a reliable, compassionate, funny, loveable  and knowledgeable source. IMHO

Yeah, I know that quantity does not mean quality (I'm married to a Six Sigma Black Belt  :lol: ), but I was just trying to point out to Vallene that she should try to follow all the advice especially when concurrent advice is given.    Of course,  not everyone here is an expert and you have to use good judgement and common sense.  Hard to do when you're suffering from brain fog/anxiety or putting on a wedding!

cyclinglady Grand Master

thanks all, i'm not usually such a stresser, but i just want to feel and look good for once, especially on my wedding day. I think i will definitely go out and buy one of those girdles, then it won't be an issue. Thanks again everyone.

Enjoy your day and best wishes to you!  We just celebrated our 25th on Monday and I hope you and your husband will also enjoy many years of happiness!

IrishHeart Veteran

and one more thing....control top panty hose will serve the same purpose as a girdle. IMHO

but if you want to wear a girdle, it's your call. 

I loathe anything that is so tight I can't dance or breathe.

Most of all, just have fun, kiddo. This is your day and you will be gorgeous!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

Of course,  not everyone here is an expert 

That's the truth. But then again, who is an expert on pre-wedding day bloating? now, that's quite a sub-specialtiy. :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

That's the truth. But then again, who is an expert on pre-wedding day bloating? now, that's quite a sub-specialtiy. :lol:

Anyone who is an expert in that has been married a few too many times for my comfort!

And I've never had success with control top pantyhose. Just sayin'. I also love corsets and am never more comfortable than when I'm in one so maybe I have a bias about the comfort of girdles. But seriously, a well fitting one shouldn't be uncomfortable... and if it is it isn't the right size or fit.

nvsmom Community Regular

and one more thing....control top panty hose will serve the same purpose as a girdle. IMHO

but if you want to wear a girdle, it's your call. 

Oh no... they make "super underwear"!... It sucks you in in really impressive ways. Just make sure it's a high girdle or you'll have one heck of an impressive muffin top!  LOL

I hope your day is fantastic!  :)

Adalaide Mentor

Oh no... they make "super underwear"!... It sucks you in in really impressive ways. Just make sure it's a high girdle or you'll have one heck of an impressive muffin top!  LOL

I hope your day is fantastic!   :)

I think you mean Spanx. Whoever invented Spanx should be nominated for sainthood!

nvsmom Community Regular

I think you mean Spanx. Whoever invented Spanx should be nominated for sainthood!

No, not Spanx. Mine has hooks and bars in it... Makes grandma's underwear look new and modern.  LOL  ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

well, I am not in accord with you guys on this one, I guess.

spanx and girdles are just sadistic punishment to me. I hate pantyhose too.

To each her own.

what can I say? I like to jiggle freely.  ^_^

Archived