Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pegleg84

Aches

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone else feels horribly achy a few days after getting cc'd? Or if they react to anything other than gluten with aches?

By "achy" I mean your whole body feeling tired, sore, and slow, muscle weakness, though the ache is more in my bones/joints. Slightly tingly and sometimes painful feel/hands/legs. Headache, brainfog, slight nausea. I've had a few incidents of this in the past months, bad enough to make me stay home/send myself home from work because I can barely move/think. It only lasts for a few hours, but that's enough to ruin a day. There's only once that I can trace it back to a potential gluten cc, and that hit 3 days after the fact, with no real digestive problems.

Aside from getting cc'd by something in my kitchen or out, what are some other things that might set this off? I've been eating a few more gluten-free baked goods than usual, which could be affecting me (weird flours? xanthan gum?) and the weather has been pretty up and down that could also contribute?

Anyway, it's been coming and going, and I want to make it stop! I also don't want to find out I'm developing problems with my joints or anything (arthritis does run in my family). Might have to start up the food log again.

Opinions and advice welcome.

Cheers!

Peg,

getting cc'd will set off that immune response.  Not surprising you get achy.  The times that I have been hit had me down for a couple weeks.  That "I got hit by a Mac truck" feeling :)  Starting up the food journal is probably not a bad idea if you suspect other foods might be doing this too.  I recently found out that nightshades were contributing to my joint pain.  Those might be something to look at first. 

Hope you find the source.

Colleen

Nightshades? (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant) I was starting to get achey too, and I knew the only new thing in my diet was potatoes. I gave them up, and voila! No more aches - for the most part. (My back is still sore upon waking, but I think it's because I need a new matress.)

I asked about it a few weeks ago and some of the folks who have problems with nighshades think it is cumulative. In other words, once in a while is OK. After I've been "clean" for a month or two, I'm going to buy a potato. If I can have just one a week I'll be happy.

Barty,  remember when you told me about nightshades?  I was doing great, could hold my coffee cup and everything.  Then one evening I was trying a new pasta, poured on the Marinara and the next morning I couldn't hold the coffee cup.  I'm a believer. 

Colleen

We're chasing each other around the board this morning, Colleen! You just expressed you sorrow for me because I can't have blueberries, may I tell you how sorry I am that you can't have tomatoes? (Tomatoes don't matter to me. I've never liked them anyway except occasionally on a pizza.)

It's OK, we have lots of other good things we can eat, right? :)

Hmm, that's a possibility. I have been eating more potatoes lately (time of the year) but -like most things lately- been trying not to have them too often. (I'm currently trying to rotate rice, corn, potatoes as my main carb during the week). I've also cut back on other nightshades (or not too many in one meal/back to back).

And yeah, I certainly do know how long a little cc can stay in your system.

I haven't had any tomato sauce in a little while, partly afraid of that.... Maybe I can be brave and try (try) to go nightshade free for a couple weeks this fall--after I've eaten all the peppers and tomatoes in my garden of course.

I also worry about corn, which I still eat regularly

Oh, and here we go: as I speak I'm getting a little bit of brain fog and tinglyness going on. I had corn pasta, fish, red peppers, kale, onion, garlic, white radish, and my homemade vegan-parm (ground almonds, nutritional yeast, sea salt). These were leftovers from last night, which I did fine with at the time. I usually make enough dinner to take the leftovers for lunch the next day, but I'm more likely to feel odd after lunch at work. Could that be the cumulative thing kicking in? Or the fact that I've been taking digestive enzymes with dinner at home, but have slacked off taking them with lunch. Gotta bring some to work!

Any other ideas?

Yeah, elimination diet. <_< It get's old, doesn't it? Just when you think you've got it all figured out something starts bothering you and you have to go back to basics.

I would ditch the nightshades and the corn for a while, then maybe trial corn first because as far as I know, that is NOT cumulative. Then, just to be sure, if the corn seems OK, I would stop it again while you trial nightshades. It's a pain in the neck, but I think it's the only way to find out for sure.

What about an inflammatory histamine reaction.  I don't know a lot about this but I know IrishHeart knows a lot about it. 

Colleen

I'm already a giant piece of rice...

I've thought about doing a proper elimination diet, and winter seems like a better time to do it since there won't be as many fresh veggies around to temp me. I've been mostly ok with corn so far, but you never know (please please please let me be ok with corn... Rice pasta just isn't the same! and the chips!)

Ok. I'm going to wait a few weeks to make sure it's not leftover glutening damage, and get back at my strict digestive enzyme intake to see if that helps. My body just has a hard time digesting some things.

And I would like to know more about this histamine thing. [paging Irish Heart!]

In the meantime, hopefully I won't devolve into a mass of achiness requiring a walker or something (old lady mode).

thanks!

I must be psychic, I swear. :D I just happened to sit down and came right to this thread because I saw Pegleg was asking about aches.

Hi Barty! Hi Coll!

Ok, peg

(1) I most definitely have the symptoms you describe---exactly!--post glutening. I always have pain anyway (I have osteoarthritis, degenerating discs, blah blah blah  and am rehabbing my muscles still and so, I live with constant low-level pain, but manageable now that I am healing)

but if I get hit with CC?? holymotherofpearl. :o Ramps up to 10 for a few days and so, to answer your original question, YES!

(2) nightshades may well be the problem, however--there is a cross-over of high histamine foods that bears mentioning.

Tomatoes release a histamine response and can trigger joint pain, gut issues, etc.

eggplant--also high hist--So, you may have to do some type of elimination diet (I know, I know--they are a pain in the arse) to root it out.

I did this one: Scroll down to low histamine--they give you an explanation and a shopping list.

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/06/expanded-iswf-shopping-lists/

Then, try adding back in the high histamine foods one at a time and see what happens.

I can tolerate a few of them now.

My guess is though, you got hit. It should pass soon. Take extra probiotics--those will help with the inflammation in the GI tract--and see how you feel. Sorry, hon--I know it does not feel good at all. Get better soon!!

Thanks guys! You're the best.

Yeah, it's possible I've slacked off ever so slightly in the past bit and just need to pull myself together a bit.

And yeah, if it isn't back to "normal" in a few weeks, going to have to do a full on elimination. Ergh.... I knew it was coming.

I'll definitely check out this high-histamine list. Once I do start an elimination, I'll really be milking you all for advice and whining a lot...

Anyway, still feeling woozy and slightly achy, but not too bad (which is good because I'm taking the man out to dinner tonight, which might be my last dinner out for a while considering the circumstances. He's away for a month. The restaurant caters to gluten free and I've never had a problem there before... *fingers crossed*).

Now back to the things I should be doing...

I must be psychic, I swear. :D I just happened to sit down and came right to this thread because I saw Pegleg was asking about aches.

Hi Barty! Hi Coll!

Ok, peg

(1) I most definitely have the symptoms you describe---exactly!--post glutening. I always have pain anyway (I have osteoarthritis, degenerating discs, blah blah blah  and am rehabbing my muscles still and so, I live with constant low-level pain, but manageable now that I am healing)

but if I get hit with CC?? holymotherofpearl. :o Ramps up to 10 for a few days and so, to answer your original question, YES!

(2) nightshades may well be the problem, however--there is a cross-over of high histamine foods that bears mentioning.

Tomatoes release a histamine response and can trigger joint pain, gut issues, etc.

eggplant--also high hist--So, you may have to do some type of elimination diet (I know, I know--they are a pain in the arse) to root it out.

I did this one: Scroll down to low histamine--they give you an explanation and a shopping list.

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/06/expanded-iswf-shopping-lists/

Then, try adding back in the high histamine foods one at a time and see what happens.

I can tolerate a few of them now.

My guess is though, you got hit. It should pass soon. Take extra probiotics--those will help with the inflammation in the GI tract--and see how you feel. Sorry, hon--I know it does not feel good at all. Get better soon!!

Thanks Irish,  I knew your ears would be burning :D

I hurt all over and medicine doesn't seem to help. I struggle to sleep at night and the drugs the doctor gives me doesn't help. Ppl around me don't understand what I'm going thru and I don't want to be a burden. I'm never gonna figure this disease out and I swear it doesn't help relationships

I hurt all over and medicine doesn't seem to help. I struggle to sleep at night and the drugs the doctor gives me doesn't help. Ppl around me don't understand what I'm going thru and I don't want to be a burden. I'm never gonna figure this disease out and I swear it doesn't help relationships

I do not know how long you have been diagnosed and gluten-free, but it may take awhile for the pain in your bones, joints and muscles to resolve.

Make sure you have proper follow up care--blood work, etc.

I feel your frustration  but please, do not despair. My pain levels decreased dramatically after about 15 months gluten-free.

I took a long time for it to happen for me because I am older and had to reverse years of damage, and I had anemia, low D, B-12, folate etc..

Just hang in there. 

• Forum Discussions

Thank you Ranchers Wife.  Since I'm asymptomatic, I would not know if I had gluten. I cannot imagine having to worry about getting sick from cross-contamination. 
    Hi Jenna1028, They test for DH by taking a small skin biopsy from clear skin next to a lesion.  If you have DH, you have celiac disease.  But, you need to be eating a gluten diet for 12 weeks (gluten challenge) before getting the skin bi...
    To the OP, once in a while this stuff happens.  Please feel free to start a new topic if that would make it easier.  I am afraid this is just part of forums on the internet. I hope this didn’t chase you off.