Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

MoMof2Boyz

Soooo, I Don't Have Eosinophilic Esophagitis But......

Rate this topic

I had an endoscopy and had a biopsy for eosinophilic esophagitis because I've had so much trouble swallowing food/pills and my GI doc said my esophagus wasn't very strictured.

I got a call from the nurse saying I didn't have EoE but it looks like I have a food allergy? So how can they tell?? Does anyone know??

I had an endoscopy and had a biopsy for eosinophilic esophagitis because I've had so much trouble swallowing food/pills and my GI doc said my esophagus wasn't very strictured.

I got a call from the nurse saying I didn't have EoE but it looks like I have a food allergy? So how can they tell?? Does anyone know??

Thats a new one. A food allergy can cause your throat to swell, thus making that difficulty.

I'd do two things:

1) Request a written copy of both procedural and pathology reports from the endoscopy.

2) Request a call from the doctor or an appt to speak to the doctor to explain the information without the nurse as a go-between.

Well I got the biopsy back late today so I will call tomorrow and ask for it to be explained more. So anyway, this is what it says on the biopsy report:

Esophagus, Middle, biopsy

Reactive squamous mucosa with rare intraepithelial eosinophil(focally, one eosinophil per high powerfield)

The degree of eosinophilia does not favor eosinophilic esophagitis/allergic esophagitis. Howerve, EE may be patchy in nature. Correlation with clinical and endoscopic findings is recommended.

How high are the eosinophil levels in your blood?. You always need to add the biopsy together with other tests to get a diagnosis and even when you have a name, every case is different and every case will require different treatment

Last blood test was done in Sept.(I am due for another one in Dec.) anyway, eosinophils weren't high but here's the results

4% (4-14%)

eosinophil count

0.1 ( 0.0-0.6)

I did have a biopsy in March to rule out EoE and the report only said squamous mucosa with features of gastroesophageal reflux and my GI doc told me I didn't have it.  So it look like I didn't have any eosinophils then, but now a few are showing up but not enough to meet the guidlines.hm. I wonder if there will be more the next time I have another endoscopy.

You see normally you would have a much higher blood count than that if you had an Eosinophilic condition. Where you have .1 in the .0 to .6 normal range. Mine is 2.3 or even 2.4 (For times over the reference limit) without any drugs. Like you say it could be cyclic so it's worth having the simple White Blood Cell count done a couple more times. Even mine has dropped down to 1.0 once a year or so(only double the reference :S), sometimes you just need to catch it at the right time. Better if you don't find them though because those suckers will burn holes anywhere they land. Mine seem to be for the most part absorbed by my excellent giant lymph node :0 which is good, saves the rest of me from taking the heat.