This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach Cramps

flowerqueen

flowerqueen Community Regular

My last endoscopy showed my gut was healing well and that I have excellent control over my coeliac diet, BUT

only a few weeks later I started with the usual tell-tale cramps in stomach etc.  I thought it was cross contamination, and with the help of a food journal whittled it down to three possibilities.  Now I am not so sure, as I have not had any of these things in my diet since.

Then I stumbled upon information about bananas causing problems so I've stopped eating those too.  Trouble is, the cramping started again about an hour after my breakfast and has remained with me since. (I wake up each day without stomach cramps, it's only after I eat).  I have been a sufferer of IBS for years and wondered if it was that, although, I would say, I do get plenty of fibre from non-gluten sources. In fact I began to wonder if the rice bran flakes had been too harsh and stopped using them. Everything I've tried has not made a scrap of difference and I'm wondering what to try next. I know a lot of people on here have food allergies since cutting out wheat/gluten, but as I'm already keeping a food journal and nothing appears to be showing up. 

The only other thing I can do is cut out the Metformin I've been prescribed to see if that makes a difference.  Anyone got any other ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

My last endoscopy showed my gut was healing well and that I have excellent control over my coeliac diet, BUT

only a few weeks later I started with the usual tell-tale cramps in stomach etc.  I thought it was cross contamination, and with the help of a food journal whittled it down to three possibilities.  Now I am not so sure, as I have not had any of these things in my diet since.

Then I stumbled upon information about bananas causing problems so I've stopped eating those too.  Trouble is, the cramping started again about an hour after my breakfast and has remained with me since. (I wake up each day without stomach cramps, it's only after I eat).  I have been a sufferer of IBS for years and wondered if it was that, although, I would say, I do get plenty of fibre from non-gluten sources. In fact I began to wonder if the rice bran flakes had been too harsh and stopped using them. Everything I've tried has not made a scrap of difference and I'm wondering what to try next. I know a lot of people on here have food allergies since cutting out wheat/gluten, but as I'm already keeping a food journal and nothing appears to be showing up. 

The only other thing I can do is cut out the Metformin I've been prescribed to see if that makes a difference.  Anyone got any other ideas?

Where is the stomach cramping pain located?

Where is the stomach cramping pain located?

Upper and middle stomach mainly.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Upper and middle stomach mainly.

do you by chance have an ulcer?

Another thought, have you tried eating lighter meals and snacking throughout the day instead of the three main ones?

IrishHeart Veteran

Is the metformin absolutely necessary to treat your type II diabetes? if not, can you go without it to see if it is the culprit?

My sister and niece both developed terrible symptoms from it, including stomach pains.

They stopped taking it and manage their type 2 diabetes with diet only. 

burdee Enthusiast

I googled metformin side effects and found that 'abdominal cramps and discomfort was the top listed effect.  Try abstaining from that drug for a few weeks to see how you feel without that.

do you by chance have an ulcer?

Another thought, have you tried eating lighter meals and snacking throughout the day instead of the three main ones?

No I doubt it. I've had 4 gastroscopies in the last 2 years, I think they would have noticed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Is the metformin absolutely necessary to treat your type II diabetes? if not, can you go without it to see if it is the culprit?

My sister and niece both developed terrible symptoms from it, including stomach pains.

They stopped taking it and manage their type 2 diabetes with diet only. 

I've managed by diabetes for the last 11 years on diet alone, and as it's a progressive disease, it has been necessary at this stage for some extra help.

I googled metformin side effects and found that 'abdominal cramps and discomfort was the top listed effect.  Try abstaining from that drug for a few weeks to see how you feel without that.

I was thinking the same, I will see if there's any improvement after a few days. Thank you!

Recently I've been keeping a food journal to see if a cross contamination issue can be identified, but really can't find anything. I was just wondering how long after going gluten free, do other food intolerances crop up? I already have a number of them which started before being diagnosed with Celiacs.

For the last 10 days I've had bad stomach cramps and nausea but don't seem to be any closer to pin pointing the culprit.

bartfull Rising Star

It's so hard because you never know what it might be, and the tricky part is that the onset of symptoms AND the duration of them varies from one person to the next, and even from one symptom to the next!

For example, If I get glutened, I get nauseous within an couple of hours, then get D that might last a week. But a psoriasis flare shows up within eight hours and goes on for weeks and weeks. I get all of those symptoms from gluten, but only psoriasis from corn. But then, I also get psoriasis if I eat too many nightshades. Of course I get the joint aches from nightshades too. And BLUEBERRIES!! I only get D from blueberries, and it comes on within a half hour, but only lasts a few hours.

I guess the only way to really narrow it down would be to REALLY limit your diet for a couple of weeks until you are feeling OK, then add one food back each week. It's boring and a real pain in the neck, but I can't think of any other way. :(

IrishHeart Veteran

You just asked this question recently and a few of us wondered about the metformin

that you take.  Did you discontinue it to see if it was the problem? just wondering.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/104656-stomach-cramps/#entry892166

kareng Grand Master

I merged two topics here as the second seems to be a continuation of the first topic. This will keep all the info together and keep from having to repeat.

kareng Grand Master

You just asked this question recently and a few of us wondered about the metformin

that you take. Did you discontinue it to see if it was the problem? just wondering.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/104656-stomach-cramps/#entry892166

Metformin has GI issues for some people. My father started it but had to discontinue after a few weeks because it upset his GI system.

And the banana thing? I use that as an example. I didn't intend anyone to think I was saying that bananas are a common problem? Bananas don't bother very many people so don't stop eating them just because 1 person has an issue with them.

Porcelina Contributor

I have IBS as well and it turns out that fructose is my trigger. If you can find the book IBS Free At Last by Patsy Catsos, I highly recommend it. Her book is what helped me figure out that wheat was a major cause of my stomach pain, followed by fructans and fructose.

Metformin has GI issues for some people. My father started it but had to discontinue after a few weeks because it upset his GI system.

And the banana thing? I use that as an example. I didn't intend anyone to think I was saying that bananas are a common problem? Bananas don't bother very many people so don't stop eating them just because 1 person has an issue with them.

Thanks. I stopped taking Metformin the other day but the symptoms have continued. One of the reasons I decided to stop eating bananas was the amount of sugar that's in them and cutting out the Metformin I can really do without elevated glucose levels right now. Plus, I seem to be having a problem with certain sugars.

I have IBS as well and it turns out that fructose is my trigger. If you can find the book IBS Free At Last by Patsy Catsos, I highly recommend it. Her book is what helped me figure out that wheat was a major cause of my stomach pain, followed by fructans and fructose.

Thanks, I will check that book out. I think you have a point about the fructose, I have discovered that fruit sugar does not agree with me too! It's getting to the point where I'm distrusting a lot of foodstuffs, but if I limit my diet now, then gradually add things in, it maybe easier to pinpoint what foods are the real culprits. ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Flower

Given your complex thyroid-diabetes-celiac triad, I am wondering if an endocrinologist's certified dietician would be of help to you?

S/he could help you sort through the food choices, balance the amount of complex carbs you take in and maybe nail down

the culprit in the process. My friend with hypothyrodism/diabetes went to one and even though she was reluctant do so it at first, thinking she had a handle on her intake of carbs/proteins, she learned quite a bit and she seems to have less bowel issues in the process.

Just a suggestion. Maybe you have already thought of this.

Flower

Given your complex thyroid-diabetes-celiac triad, I am wondering if an endocrinologist's certified dietician would be of help to you?

S/he could help you sort through the food choices, balance the amount of complex carbs you take in and maybe nail down

the culprit in the process. My friend with hypothyrodism/diabetes went to one and even though she was reluctant do so it at first, thinking she had a handle on her intake of carbs/proteins, she learned quite a bit and she seems to have less bowel issues in the process.

Just a suggestion. Maybe you have already thought of this.

That's a really good point! Thanks. The only thing is, I have recently had my yearly review before this problem started up, and I'm only allowed one a year at the hospital. I will look into getting a private consultation with a dietitian though. Many thanks.

Archived