Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Aly1

Heartburn Help! Advice Please...

Rate this topic

It's been quite a while since I posted here, but I'm back due to a new problem that I need help getting rid of.

Background: I am very gluten intolerant and never had gastro issues of any kind. I'm usually pretty solid in that area. I started juicing at the beginning of the year and was feeling so good on it. So good that I ignored the mild heartburn I'd get from time to time associated with it. Recently however I developed major heartburn problems - stabbing pains in the center of my chest, burning, bloated feeling, sore rib cage by my stomach - which seemed to be related to strawberries (I was having smoothies several times a week with them). I stopped juicing since I knew that was a small problem before, and quit the strawberries too, and did a 14 day course of OTC drugs (opremazole or something like that?). It resolved about 3 weeks ago and I stayed away from juicing and strawberries. I still felt mild issues here and there but seemed ok.

It's back now. Big time. I had a couple of smoothies a few days apart, and bam, I'm back at square 1. I don't see how just 2 smoothies can render me in this condition ~:0/. It seems that so many things are setting it off now (it's been days since I had any strawberries but I'm still having major issues), I just don't even want to eat.

Some questions for the experienced: 

1) I really want to get back to juicing - is this something that often causes gastro issues? I make sure to "chew" my juices before swallowing so I know the right enzymes are getting in there. 

2) Can 2 strawberry smoothies do this, or do you think I have other hidden food issues? I've been a food sensitivity *queen* since going gluten-free...

3) Would appreciate a good course of action. I'm desperate here - I feel like I can't bear to restrict my diet any further. I'm usually gluten, corn, grain, dairy, and sugar free and have dropped down to 97 lbs as a result. I recently gave up on the grain and dairy (despite the reaction I get from the latter) because I am desperate to just eat. :(

I'll be grateful for any advice I can get on how to get better. Thanks!

It's been quite a while since I posted here, but I'm back due to a new problem that I need help getting rid of.

Background: I am very gluten intolerant and never had gastro issues of any kind. I'm usually pretty solid in that area. I started juicing at the beginning of the year and was feeling so good on it. So good that I ignored the mild heartburn I'd get from time to time associated with it. Recently however I developed major heartburn problems - stabbing pains in the center of my chest, burning, bloated feeling, sore rib cage by my stomach - which seemed to be related to strawberries (I was having smoothies several times a week with them). I stopped juicing since I knew that was a small problem before, and quit the strawberries too, and did a 14 day course of OTC drugs (opremazole or something like that?). It resolved about 3 weeks ago and I stayed away from juicing and strawberries. I still felt mild issues here and there but seemed ok.

It's back now. Big time. I had a couple of smoothies a few days apart, and bam, I'm back at square 1. I don't see how just 2 smoothies can render me in this condition ~:0/. It seems that so many things are setting it off now (it's been days since I had any strawberries but I'm still having major issues), I just don't even want to eat.

Some questions for the experienced: 

1) I really want to get back to juicing - is this something that often causes gastro issues? I make sure to "chew" my juices before swallowing so I know the right enzymes are getting in there. 

2) Can 2 strawberry smoothies do this, or do you think I have other hidden food issues? I've been a food sensitivity *queen* since going gluten-free...

3) Would appreciate a good course of action. I'm desperate here - I feel like I can't bear to restrict my diet any further. I'm usually gluten, corn, grain, dairy, and sugar free and have dropped down to 97 lbs as a result. I recently gave up on the grain and dairy (despite the reaction I get from the latter) because I am desperate to just eat. :(

I'll be grateful for any advice I can get on how to get better. Thanks!

Strawberrys are acidic. If you have GERD, it can cause flare ups. I can get away with a little bit (such as in a jelly), but i don't dare do a full smoothie.