NewNicole

Is There Such A Thing As Autoimmune Flare?

Rate this topic

I'm very careful about not eating gluten. I've checked for the other food allergies and had both blood work and an endoscope to check and make sure my celiac was in check. So with all that why do I feel so much fatigue, nauseous , dizziness, and headaches. It's not every day, but will be a hit or miss. Will the autoimmune symptoms flare even on the diet?

There are autoimmune flares in other AI diseases but I am unsure if this happens with a gluten-free celiac.

I personally do experience flare-ups of some sort but I do have other AI problems which could be causing it, and while I was an undiagnosed celiac, I experienced flare-ups of certain symptoms (arthralgias) that appear to have stopped after many months gluten-free. Other symptoms still flare-up; I recently went through a four week bout of heavier fatigue, increased headaches (every day -sigh), flu like feelings and BM issues. Could be stress of the season. Could be an AI flare-up... I just know I am gluten-free so that's not it.

Best wishes.

Like Nicole, I also get flares.  In my experience AI flares are different then being glutened.  My AI flares can happen if I get run down, overly stressed, and sometimes I have no idea why.  I do not suspect my flares are because of Celiac but because of additional AI Diseases that I have.

Colleen

I say....sure why not? not everything that happens in our bodies is because we have celiac or because we were glutened (although my chronic pain symptoms are worse if that happens) . I also have AI osteoarthritis. I can get very, very sore and tired and stiff but, if I keep moving, I can control it somewhat. I also have AI myositis, but I have it (mostly) under control. Sadly, I cannot tolerate any medications, so this is not always a cake walk for me. 

Your symptoms  could very well be because of  anemia, other food intolerances, hormonal imbalances. etc.

and PS...I hope you have called Dr. G's office to make  an appointment? :)  He can help you root out the problem.

Your symptoms seem to be exactly mine....severe fatigue, headaches, muscle pain, dizziness and nausea are my main problems. Some days it's hard to breath. Not because of my asthma but because it feels like it's too much work. It feels like a heaviness. It's not gluten and I don't know of any other AI issues. Does anyone know what AI diseases can have these symptoms and what kind of Dr would I see? By the way my TSH levels appear fine.