Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

BelleVie

Chocolate Croissant, Or, The Holy Grail Of Gluten Free Pastries

Rate this topic

I just saw a recipe online for the Kronut.  (coissant/ doughnut)  It had no eggs in the recipe and called for bread flour.  I think most gluten free flour blends end up being a bit denser.  Huge drawbacks for me.....  It takes more than a day to make theses (12 hour chill/proof time on the first day),  and deep frying these,  very vague about finishing glaze, and it suggested experimenting. 

Well here's the problem kronut was developed after we have been gluten free so long I don't even know if I would like it for all the work!!!?

It was a front page top moving article on MSN. can't get your hands on kronuts; make your own.

Here ya go! (Though I have not tried this recipe yet - it looks like a LOT of work):

http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-croissants/

Croissants were the first thing I thought of when I realized that I would never eat gluten again. I might have cried a little...

Take a look at this one.

http://www.glutenfreecanteen.com/2012/05/06/croissants-gluten-free/

I seriously don't have the skills to even attempt this but it sounds fabulous.

Colleen

I was never much of a croissant person, but I found the recipe Abby shared and if I was going to make them it's the one I would use. It explains every step in great detail also so a first timer shouldn't have too much trouble. You would want to read through the entire recipe though before starting so you are sure of what you are getting in to and make sure you have everything you need. Once you've made them once successfully as is, you could play with them and make them chocolate. Or simply settle for a chocolate glaze.

There's also this, but other than the shape you cut them into I highly doubt they'd be very croissant like without putting in the effort.

http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_croissants-1983-1.html 

Croissants are such fun to make. Fiddly but worth it. This thread has inspired me to make the recipe Abby posted.

Croissants are such fun to make. Fiddly but worth it. This thread has inspired me to make the recipe Abby posted.

If that's the recipe you would make, that probably officially makes it the best option. Always nice to have such an expert opinion.