This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constipation Got Worse After Going Gluten-Free!?

Alaine23

Alaine23 Newbie

Hi all,

I recently removed gluten from my diet. I have not been diagnosed as celiac, but I had a positive stool sensitivity test and I'm trying to see if gluten-free will help with my horrible adult cystic acne as well as muscle issues and chronic fatigue syndrome. I've always had IBS issues, but over the last year I was finally getting my bowels straightened out it seemed. Sorry for the t.m.i, but I'm desperate. I got to the point where I was finally regular and only had issues with constipation if I really screwed up my healthy eating habits. I've been gluten-free for about 24 days (and dairy free for about 2 months). I still seem to be "regular" as far as timing goes (still making a trip daily), but things have slowed down incredibly. I feel like I just can't get fully "emptied out". I feel uncomfortable all day now and have several very, very small bowel movements throughout the day. This is so frustrating. I take a fiber supplement, a gluten-free multivitamin, a D3 supplement and I drink lots of water all day long. I eat a DF yogurt that has probiotics in it on a daily basis, but I recently started taking Culturelle (about 3 days ago) to see if it would help. Any suggestions? Is this normal? I''m feeing worse, not better :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi Alaine,

What was the stool test positive for?  Testing for Celiac involves Blood tests and an Endoscopic procedure.  NCGI will test negative but still carries the same symptoms.

In my case, Constipation has been a lifelong ordeal.  I was to the point of having to use colonoscopy clean out products before starting the gluten free diet.  Because I had to have "help" going, I became laxative dependent.  Note:  This was done with a Doctors approval.)  I still have issues with regularity but nothing compared to what had been happening and I no longer need any laxatives.  It may take some time for things to normalize.  Keep taking the probiotic, give it some time and keep drinking ridiculous amounts of water. 

Colleen

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

You mention taking a fiber supplement, but have you tried Metamucil?  I've been taking a heaping tablespoon of Metamucil in a large glass of water every morning for the last 20+ years and I go like clockwork (not the case before trying the Metamucil).  I've tried other fiber pills, etc. and nothing works for me like the Metamucil.

Oh - and exercise can really help, especially if you are primarily sedintary during the day.  Just getting up and walking around periodically during the day can actually make a big difference.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I'll add that you should be eating tons of vegetables and fruit too!

Alaine23 Newbie

Hi Alaine,

What was the stool test positive for?  Testing for Celiac involves Blood tests and an Endoscopic procedure.  NCGI will test negative but still carries the same symptoms.

In my case, Constipation has been a lifelong ordeal.  I was to the point of having to use colonoscopy clean out products before starting the gluten free diet.  Because I had to have "help" going, I became laxative dependent.  Note:  This was done with a Doctors approval.)  I still have issues with regularity but nothing compared to what had been happening and I no longer need any laxatives.  It may take some time for things to normalize.  Keep taking the probiotic, give it some time and keep drinking ridiculous amounts of water. 

Colleen

Colleen - Here is the result of my stool test:

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA      11 Units   (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

As I mentioned, it's not a test for true Celiac disease, it's only a gluten sensitivity test.  I was told also that just because my number is only 11 (and normal range starts at 10), that doesn't indicate that I'm less sensitive than if my number was 20.  It's all or nothing.  Either you're sensitive or you're not.

I'm going to keep at the probiotics for now and add in more veggies (even though they make my bloating worse).

Thank you!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Try not eating any dairy (that includes yogurt, butter, etc.). You may have issues with casein or whey and not just a lactose intolerance. Avoid veggies that make you bloat like cabbage or broccoli. You might find that identifying food intolerances may help your acne. Keep a food journal.

Good luck!

GF Lover Rising Star

Alaine,

I'm sorry, I can't help as far as the fecal test.  I don't have any experience with the testing company or the test itself. 

Like Cyclinglady said, drop all dairy for awhile, dairy will constipate me in a heart beat.  Drink lots of water, then more water and finish off with more water :D And as Cooties said a 15 minute walk can get things going to.  Hang in there!  Make a note if you notice anything odd or different after eating, you may spot a trend.  And I usually snack on raisins and prunes to keep things going too.

Good Luck,

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Alaine23 Newbie

Thanks everyone. See my original post - I've been dairy free for about 2 months as well. Not helping. I also have been keeping a food/meds journal for a few months. Will try some other things.

Colleen - I posted my test results because you asked what I was tested for.

Thanks all!

kareng Grand Master

Thanks everyone. See my original post - I've been dairy free for about 2 months as well. Not helping. I also have been keeping a food/meds journal for a few months. Will try some other things.

Thanks all!

Why not get tested for Celiac disease? Stool tests don't test for Celiac or " non- Celiac gluten sensitivity". Maybe you have gone gluten free for no reason? You can try it for a few months and see if it helps anything. It's just that, sometimes, it can be hard to go back on gluten if you want to be tested

Alaine23 Newbie

Why not get tested for Celiac disease? Stool tests don't test for Celiac or " non- Celiac gluten sensitivity". Maybe you have gone gluten free for no reason? You can try it for a few months and see if it helps anything. It's just that, sometimes, it can be hard to go back on gluten if you want to be tested

Stool tests can indeed test for non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. My stool test WAS for gluten sensitivity. That's what I posted above. I've had blood work done & it was negative. Docs & friends suggested the stool test because it picks up levels before the damage is done to your intestines (before levels show up in your blood stream). So, I AM sensitive to gluten....not trying gluten-free for no reason. I'm going to stick it out for a few months & see if I notice a difference. Thanks again folks.

kareng Grand Master

Stool tests can indeed test for non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. My stool test WAS for gluten sensitivity. That's what I posted above. I've had blood work done & it was negative. Docs & friends suggested the stool test because it picks up levels before the damage is done to your intestines (before levels show up in your blood stream). So, I AM sensitive to gluten....not trying gluten-free for no reason. I'm going to stick it out for a few months & see if I notice a difference. Thanks again folks.

I didn't realize you had the blood test for Celiac and it was negative. I just didn't want you to go gluten-free and then want a test a year from now. We see that a lot and its so hard to go gluten free if you are feeling better. Trying the gluten-free diet is a great next step.

Here's a little info about NCGS and the site has other good info.

Open Original Shared Link

cyclinglady Grand Master

Thanks all!

Sorry!  Did not catch the DF "for dairy free" yogurt in your first posting.  I hope you figure it out!

nvsmom Community Regular

I was a life long "C" sufferer myself. I honestly didn't realize I had C because it was my norm.. LOL  :rolleyes:  My C did not improve around until I was gluten-free for about 8-9 months BUT I think it had more to do with the fact that I was getting closer to my ideal hormone dose to treat my hypothyroidism.

Unfortunately I was normal for just a few months and then I flipped into "D". Haven't figured out how to get out of that yet.  LOL

Give it time. It can take months and months.  In the meantime, I found fibre did not help me at all. Coconut cream and oil helps a bit. Coffee was a bit helpful too.

Good luck.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Alaine,

It's significant that your symptoms have changed on going gluten-free.  That shouldn't happen to a person if there body is not reacting to gluten.  So it's likely you are reacting to gluten somehow.  Gluten is anything with wheat, rye or barley in it, including malt.  10% or so of celiacs react to oats also.

You are only 24 days into the diet change, so it is too early to expect drastic improvements.  Healing can take months to years for some people.  Often people experience a kind of roller coaster ride of improvements and getting worse and then better again.  It' s not a straight line trend for many.

You can try milk of magnesia for c.  It is possible to become dependent on it so it's best to only use it when needed, and not every day.  There are other conditions that can lead to C like thyroid issues and diabetes.  But since it changed for the worse on removing gluten, it it likely to be gluten removal that caused it.

Thickleg Rookie

Alaine

I have a tip for your acne: Oil pulling.

First thing in the morning: brush you teeth and clean your tongue with a tongue scraper or tongue cleaner.

Then take a bit of sunflower oil into your mouth (or olive oil) and move it around for 15 to 20 minutes. Really push it between your teeths, there must be action; until it beomes watery. Spit it out into the toilet and flush it away with a drop of soap or washing agent.

Brush your teeth and clean your tongue.

This helps geting toxins out of the body, specially araound the mouth. It is no cure of the underlying cause, of course, but it may help with the symptoms.

The original recipe has been written by a Russian (Karach) - so he used sunflower oil. Other oils may work as well (I use olive oil when I run out of sunflower oil - it works)

Archived