generate

Newly Diagnosed Celiac, And Just Glutened

Rate this topic

Hi. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac about 3-4 months ago. Actually, I was sort of diagnosed. I was going to doctors for months for issues with low energy, depression, and just feeling overall unbalanced. Finally they did a blood test and said that it looks as if I have celiac. Next was the upper endoscopy. The doctor said that I do have signs that I am in the beginning stages of celiac. I'm not exactly sure how someone "may" have celiac, but thats all I have for answers right now. I'm supposed to go back in another month or so for another blood test after eating gluten-free for a good chunk of time.

Anyways, I have been eating gluten free, and definitely feel better and more balanced. My energy levels are much better. The diet is easy for me to maintain on my own, but is still somewhat of a challenge when I go out with friends or family. That brings me to my next issue...

Tonight I went out for sushi. I ate a piece of one roll and realized after I ate it that there was tempura in it. My stomach is definitely acting up right now. I guess my question is, after you have been eating gluten free for awhile, does eating gluten just once bring you back to square one? I guess I just want to know if the progress I've made lately has been undone. That might be a silly question. 

no, you are just going to hafta suffer through symptoms - your intestines have been healing (hopefully) and one glutening isn't going to undo that -  just get back on the horse :)

i haven't tried to have sushi 'out' because of the soy sauce (lots of them are made with wheat)  i use bragg's enzyme as a sub at home.

hope you feel better :) 

Almost two years gluten free but I am still afraid to eat out :ph34r:

That said, when I do attempt a meal away from home, the first thing I do is pull the waiter/waitress to the side and privately explain my situation.  I have them check with the Chef on everything from sauces to seasonings and to make sure they take notice of cc issues (leave my baked potato un-cut).  My meals are usually much simpler than other diners but they are safe.  If I happen to come across resistance then I will not order a meal.  I would much rather miss a meal than pay a hefty price.  Note: there was a learning curve. :lol:

Colleen

Tempura batter is almost always made with rice flour but you definitely may have been glutened from a sauce or something. We all make mistakes, even those of us who have been gluten free for ages! Try not to worry about it. Easier said than done, I know, but worrying will not help. It will get better. Honest!