This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn, Too?

djmarko1971

djmarko1971 Newbie

Hi, i am new to this forum, i have all the symptons of gluten intolerance since 2002 , the migraine attacks that kept me from working for a month, i got slightly better but got back into old habits, fast forward 2013, the symptons have come back with a vengeance, headaches, weight loss, slurred speech, forgetfullness, back pains, swollen joints, general fatigue, i have had several blood tests, everything came back normal, even a health check was fine, maybe they did not check my vitamin b12 levels or Iron, so i have requested another blood test which i should get back in a couple of days, i have decided to go gluten free for good and within a week i can see some improvements, my headaches have gone, my insomia has gone, my joint swellings have eased off a bit, only issue here is i am still eating gluten free corn flakes and taking dextrol tablets for energy boosting, i am also eating gluten free bread products bought from the store, this morning after having a gluten cornflakes fortified with fibres, when i got to work, started feeling uneasy, short of breath, headache, i had to leave!! Does anyone think these gluten free products could be the culprit ? Should i eleiminate corn all together and prepare my own breakfasts from scratch? I have been preparing my lunches and dinner for the past week

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Some people have problems with corn.  Its gluten free but seems to be hard to digest.  In the beginning, it can be hard to know what is an issue.  With Celiac, your intestine is damaged and has a hard time with food.  You could try to eliminate corn as much as possible and see if you feel better.  You may be able to eat it again in a few months after your gut has had a chance to heal.

Might be a good idea to eliminate dairy for a few weeks or months, too.  Dairy is digested by the part that is damaged in Celiac

djmarko1971 Newbie

Some people have problems with corn.  Its gluten free but seems to be hard to digest.  In the beginning, it can be hard to know what is an issue.  With Celiac, your intestine is damaged and has a hard time with food.  You could try to eliminate corn as much as possible and see if you feel better.  You may be able to eat it again in a few months after your gut has had a chance to heal.

Might be a good idea to eliminate dairy for a few weeks or months, too.  Dairy is digested by the part that is damaged in Celiac

Thanks for your reply, i have eliminated diary as well, i use coconut and rice milk, is this ok? What about rice? Does anyone have issues with eating rice?

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for your reply, i have eliminated diary as well, i use coconut and rice milk, is this ok? What about rice? Does anyone have issues with eating rice?

If you look, you will find people with issues with any food you can think of.  That doesn't mean you will have them.  Relax.  Eat as simply as you can for a few months.  Give yourself a chance to heal and your body to adjust to this new way of eating.  If a food seems to bother you, don't eat  it for a few weeks and then try it again.  Foods with a lot of ingredients - like bread, can be hard to determine what part might bother you.  And, as you heal, you may find that certain foods don't bother you anymore.

djmarko1971 Newbie

Thanks!!

bartfull Rising Star

What kind of rice milk areyou using? I have read here that Rice Dream isn't really gluten-free.  

w8in4dave Community Regular

I have found I cannot eat corn products. I have not tried whole corn as of yet since I have noticed the corn problem. I do know I cannot even have a coke or sprite because of the Corn Syrup. It hits me with alot of pain and gas. And of course the big "D" I have not noticed any other problems as of yet. I did have a problem with Dairy at 1st but that has now subsided I can drink milk and eat cheese :) I wait to find out what's going to hit me next. 

So glad you found your problem. I love feeling better!! Still waiting for my energy levels to come up but other than that I feel soooo much better!! Lost weight , feel like I am a lil more normal now. Trying to get rid of some other issues but gosh 4 months in and I feel so much better!! I hope you feel better also. It can only get better :) I hope!! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

djmarko1971 Newbie

What kind of rice milk areyou using? I have read here that Rice Dream isn't really gluten-free.

Its coconut dream milk with a touch of rice milk, it says on the label, wheat, gluten, soy, diary free, lactose as well

bartfull Rising Star

That's from the same company. Could somebody chime in and tell us if the problem with rice dream was CC? Because if it was, this one might be CC'd too.

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

Rice Dream did not work for me, and an hour after I had it, I felt terrible.  here's a thread I started awhile back  https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/102693-didnt-see-that-one-coming-rice-dream/

It says gluten free plain as day on the label, but if you type it in on this form, I'm not the only one who's had trouble with it.  

only wish I would've typed it in before I bought it.  I learned my lesson  :)

I would get rid of that milk.  If you have a Wegman's near by, they have an organic gluten-free rice milk that's actually gluten free and it's fortified.  

dilettantesteph Collaborator

It could be corn, or it could be that you react to lower levels of cross contamination than others.  It takes some trial and error to figure out.  You could go all unpackaged and unprocessed for awhile and then add back and see what happens.

kareng Grand Master

It could be corn, or it could be that you react to lower levels of cross contamination than others.  It takes some trial and error to figure out.  You could go all unpackaged and unprocessed for awhile and then add back and see what happens.

You probably missed it but she has only been gluten-free for a week.  Probably a little early to worry about being extra sensitive.  :)  As we all know, it usually takes more than a week to even realize what foods have gluten.  I remember a couple of posters talking about someone eating corn flakes or Rice Kripsies (both with barley malt) for several years before they realized the mistake!

But eating as simply as possible is good advice.  When you are feeling good, add something back and see.  I just accidentally added an artificial sugar in the other day that ALWAYS bothered me and was fine.  I won't be rushing to eat it all the time, but it was good to know I don't have to scan every soda, gum or candy if I want one occasionally.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

You probably missed it but she has only been gluten-free for a week.  Probably a little early to worry about being extra sensitive.  :)  As we all know, it usually takes more than a week to even realize what foods have gluten.  I remember a couple of posters talking about someone eating corn flakes or Rice Kripsies (both with barley malt) for several years before they realized the mistake!

But eating as simply as possible is good advice.  When you are feeling good, add something back and see.  I just accidentally added an artificial sugar in the other day that ALWAYS bothered me and was fine.  I won't be rushing to eat it all the time, but it was good to know I don't have to scan every soda, gum or candy if I want one occasionally.

Totally.  Sorry about that.  I'll try to read more carefully.  It took me a lot longer than a week.  Simple would help with that process anyway.  I did what a lot of people probably do and went to the store and bought all the gluten-free stuff.

Archived