This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To Gluten Free Recipes, Need Substitutions/feedback

turtlebay

turtlebay Newbie

new to creating gluten free recipes. I'm in the process of finding the right gluten free dinner roll recipe, especially with the holidays coming up.

some recipes call for one type of flour or a blend (unfortunately some blends you have to buy, but I'd rather create my own). I tried a few recipes. One called for an almond flour; another called for a coconut blend and either I like it and my kids didn't or visa versa  (taste vs consistency).

I am no baker by any means, but I really do not what to buy store bought gluten free bread.

Can you share your experiences with bread recipes? Did you end up substituting ingredients or what modifications did you make to the recipe to obtain better taste or consistency [did you have to add anything else to complement the flour (like if you opt for brown-rice flour, is it recommended to add more fat or protein?)].

I'd love the feedback, thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hello & Welcome....

I  think it is  great   you want  to make  your own  flour  blends  &  etc....with that  being  said , holidays  very  near  &  I'm  guessing  you are  very new  to celiac disease...There  is  a learning  curve to  this &  I  can honestly  say  one  does not learn it  overnight, it  is  a  continuing process  for  a while.....

Breads  & rolls  are  the  hardest  things  to  duplicate to  a  wheat   style....I again  are  assuming  you  are looking  for  a  gluten-free  version  to feel, taste  &  smell like  wheat bread/rolls...it's  not impossible &  there  are  wonderful recipes  on here  plus  in  cyberland...To  save  yourself anxiety doing  this most  stressful time of year  I  suggest  finding  a  few  recipes that  has  already  been  tested & proven...after  the  hustle & bustle  of  the  season  slows  down  then  experiment .....  keep in mind gluten-free  flours  are  pricey  ....I'm  lazy   &  enjoy when  others  find  the blends  needed  to make  a recipe  perfect.. I never  wanted to be  a test kitchen....

Plus  there are so many great  mixes ...

Of  course baking/cooking  at home  is  very rewarding  &  easy  on the  pocketbook....I  remember  ten years  ago  when I  started  out  I  had  so  many flops  with  breads &  wasted  so  much . These  days  there  are  some  fine recipes  that  I can make  one  &  not  worry  about  throwing  out  a  15 dollar  bag  of  flour..

Did  you know  that  you may need to replace  some  of  your  cooking  utensils?

Again   my  comments  are not  to  discourage but  are  given  so  you & yours  can  enjoy a  carefree  holiday  season....

blessings

mamaw

Adalaide Mentor

Depending on what your other intolerences may or may not be, and what exactly you're going for Brazilian cheese bread is a great alternative to rolls. It does have eggs and they can not be subbed out. I tried making them several times with different egg alternatives and all cause them not to rise properly. The oil can't be something that is solid at room temperature, it's too dense and also causes problems with rising. Besides that, I never tried alternatives to the milk, I do use all sorts of cheese, I herb them. I play with them all sorts of ways. This is the recipe I use. Open Original Shared Link

One of the best things about bread alternatives is they aren't trying to be something they aren't. Besides things that I really consider bread alternatives, like that, I've just started on the bread thing myself after nearly two years. I'e just been picking recipes based on my experiences with store bought breads and what I like. My general rule with gluten free baking is to always follow a recipe exactly according to its directions the first time, and start messing with it the second time if I deem it worthy of messing with. I don't have enough experience at this point with gluten free breads to share anything of worth.

turtlebay Newbie

Hello & Welcome....

I  think it is  great   you want  to make  your own  flour  blends  &  etc....with that  being  said , holidays  very  near  &  I'm  guessing  you are  very new  to celiac disease...There  is  a learning  curve to  this &  I  can honestly  say  one  does not learn it  overnight, it  is  a  continuing process  for  a while.....

Breads  & rolls  are  the  hardest  things  to  duplicate to  a  wheat   style....I again  are  assuming  you  are looking  for  a  gluten-free  version  to feel, taste  &  smell like  wheat bread/rolls...it's  not impossible &  there  are  wonderful recipes  on here  plus  in  cyberland...To  save  yourself anxiety doing  this most  stressful time of year  I  suggest  finding  a  few  recipes that  has  already  been  tested & proven...after  the  hustle & bustle  of  the  season  slows  down  then  experiment .....  keep in mind gluten-free  flours  are  pricey  ....I'm  lazy   &  enjoy when  others  find  the blends  needed  to make  a recipe  perfect.. I never  wanted to be  a test kitchen....

Plus  there are so many great  mixes ...

Of  course baking/cooking  at home  is  very rewarding  &  easy  on the  pocketbook....I  remember  ten years  ago  when I  started  out  I  had  so  many flops  with  breads &  wasted  so  much . These  days  there  are  some  fine recipes  that  I can make  one  &  not  worry  about  throwing  out  a  15 dollar  bag  of  flour..

Did  you know  that  you may need to replace  some  of  your  cooking  utensils?

Again   my  comments  are not  to  discourage but  are  given  so  you & yours  can  enjoy a  carefree  holiday  season....

blessings

mamaw

Thank you for replying. Yes, I read somethings about changing my panware for baking. I just figured I'd ask around to see what some people have been coming across when baking bread. Have you tried the gluten free yeast that I've read about. I wonder if there's any difference.

kareng Grand Master

Thank you for replying. Yes, I read somethings about changing my panware for baking. I just figured I'd ask around to see what some people have been coming across when baking bread. Have you tried the gluten free yeast that I've read about. I wonder if there's any difference.

All yeast, except maybe brewer's yeast, is gluten free. Don't spend extra for a pack that says " gluten-free"

turtlebay Newbie

Depending on what your other intolerences may or may not be, and what exactly you're going for Brazilian cheese bread is a great alternative to rolls. It does have eggs and they can not be subbed out. I tried making them several times with different egg alternatives and all cause them not to rise properly. The oil can't be something that is solid at room temperature, it's too dense and also causes problems with rising. Besides that, I never tried alternatives to the milk, I do use all sorts of cheese, I herb them. I play with them all sorts of ways. This is the recipe I use. Open Original Shared Link

One of the best things about bread alternatives is they aren't trying to be something they aren't. Besides things that I really consider bread alternatives, like that, I've just started on the bread thing myself after nearly two years. I'e just been picking recipes based on my experiences with store bought breads and what I like. My general rule with gluten free baking is to always follow a recipe exactly according to its directions the first time, and start messing with it the second time if I deem it worthy of messing with. I don't have enough experience at this point with gluten free breads to share anything of worth.

thanks for all your imput about the eggs, oil, and milk parts. That's good to know. I will keep trying and find what it is that works best. I guess I was cheating a little by trying to get tips from people who may have already attempted bread.

kareng Grand Master

thanks for all your imput about the eggs, oil, and milk parts. That's good to know. I will keep trying and find what it is that works best. I guess I was cheating a little by trying to get tips from people who may have already attempted bread.

There are lots of bread recipes on this forum. Go to the main page and use the google function in the upper right corner. Use the little cog and select the view as posts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I was reading my daily topics and I saw my name. Here are the recipes that you can try to make. Maybe you will like it. If not, just use as a base recipe and you can mix flours that you like.https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/85650-gluten-free-sandwich-bread/page__p__735949__fromsearch__1#entry735949 https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/85254-perfect-gluten-free-whitesandwich-bread/page__p__732678__fromsearch__1#entry732678  https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/84873-simonas-braided-challah/page__p__729391__fromsearch__1#entry729391 You can make just a half of recipe, or divide the dough in two baking dishes. It will be easier to work with the dough.

Look at Simona's recipes. She is known for her gluten-free bread baking

mamaw Community Regular

No way, you were not  cheating  , please  don't think  any of us  thought that...gluten-free bread  is  tricky , finicky  to say the  least....I  also agree  with  everything Kareng  said!.... I  used to  buy  gluten-free  flours , starches & so on  trying to make  a recipe  work for  bread, I  either  had too much or not  enough. After  spending a lot  of  cash & coming  up  empty &  hungry I decided I  wasn't  a  recipe  inventor  .. So  I  find  recipes  that  work  &  flour  blends  that I  can use  cup for cup &  I'm not  wasting  money because  we all  can  eat  it... even the  gluten  eaters .....

I  think its  great  you want to make  everything  from scratch, better  tasting, less  expensive but  being  new  & holidays  can  be  grueling .....nothing  worse  than being  new to gluten-free  trying  to prepare a meal  for  gluten-free & gluten  folks  only to have  some one  say  oh man,  this  is

horrible tasting.....&  the  preparer  is  an  emotional wreck....

I love  to bake  & cook & have time to do it (some  hate to cook/bake & no time ) but at the  beginning  I was  interested  in learning  all I could  about  the disease itself...in  ten  years  I  have been glutened   only twice.. Once  by a family  member  who thought  it  was  funny &  once  by  cc....

You mentioned  you may need to  change  your  bake wear. You  need to  change  anything  porous  that  has been used for  wheat products...toaster, plastics, Teflon, colander, wood  cutting  board to name  a few. If  you have  stainless steel pots & pans   then you  are  safe....non-stick pans  with  scratches  please  replace...Breadmakers  harbor  wheat  crumbs so that  item  is  great for  cc...I have  never found a way to clean out  totally where the  paddles  are...

Double  dipping in jars ie: peanut butter  jar  you use  & maybe  others in the house  who also use  &  spread  on  wheat  bread  then  double  dip  back into the jar  for more...

Hidden  gluten in products,,,, 2014 will make  this easier  as  the new labeling  law  will help  new ones but for me  they have  a long  way to go....

You may also  along the  way  find  out  other  foods  disagree  with  your  intestinal tract...things  that  do not  contain  gluten but  foods  like  nightshades, corn, soy....some   of us  even  find  we  can  no longer  eat   rice....then others  develop  more  autoimmune  disorders....

Some  of the better  flours  blends are: betterbatter ( also great  recipe  section); jules    ;tom sawyer, cup for cup; Pamela's  artesian flour  blend.....& many more..

I love love  love Luce's bread mix. It is  pricey  makes  a  small loaf  but  is  wonderful. A kid  can make  this ......

blessings

Adalaide Mentor

Keep in mind, my tips were about that specific recipe (or any for Brazilian cheese bread) and don't apply to bread in general. I'm not good enough with gluten free bread in general to make statements about it like that. Still, I can't recommend the bread enough, it gets made in a mini-muffin pan and all the Brazilian steak houses serve it and no one knows it's gluten free but those of us who need it.

Archived